AirBag Fault Code 00589
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AirBag Fault Code 00589

Right now at Pittsburg, KS.... Permanent Home at Miami, FL

Default AirBag Fault Code 00589

I'm having the following problem with my mkiv. I got my gti just a few weeks ago and I bought with the airbags light on. I took it to a mechanic and the code reads the following,

00589 - Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N131): Resistance too High

Any ideas on how to fix this? I think I may need to replace the passenger's airbag to fix this.... or not??

Any ideas, has this ever happened to anybody?

HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: AirBag Fault Code 00589

did you reset the code?

i got that code about 5 months ago erased it with vag com and it never came back.
    03 GTI 1.8T & 96 GTI 2.0 & 00 Passat Wagon 1.8T

this was the code i got

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 1C0 909 605 F
    Component and/or Version: 08 AIRBAG VW61 0202 0001
    Software Coding: 12344
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
    1 Fault Found:
    01218 - Side Airbag Igniter: Passenger Side (N200)
    32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent

Quote Originally Posted by SMS LLC. View Post
    OH BTW the passenger seat side air bag needs to be replaced.... But just clear the code you probably wont see it again

thats what sms told me, and he was right. light has not come back on since. (knock on wood)

he is a certified VW tech and has his own parts business. check his site out.

give him a call if you like, he is very helpful

I did reset the code twice already with no luck. I guess I'm gonna have to check the wiring of the airbag and hopefully it's just that... I don't wanna replace the airbag because that's too expensive lol....

you dont sit in the passenger side lol

Dubber In Training

Smile Re: AirBag Fault Code 00589

Quote Originally Posted by Red_MK4 View Post
    I did reset the code twice already with no luck. I guess I'm gonna have to check the wiring of the airbag and hopefully it's just that... I don't wanna replace the airbag because that's too expensive lol....
    I have also reset the code twice & i also no luck.
    Last edited by Brian124; 07-09-2009 at 06:26 AM.
    Got a new Air Intake Kit for my R32.

be careful with that because the airbag can blow up in yo face.
    '05 GTi R
    '86 Porsche 951

WILSON! WILSON! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW? WILSON! WILSON!

My Fast GTI Official Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Roflsaurusrex View Post
    be careful with that because the airbag can blow up in yo face.
    Never seen that happen!

If its a hard fault (meaning it wont go away) then the unit needs to be replaced. I can get the airbag units for you guys but I will need your VIN. Plus if the air bag light is on, it means that your airbag system is completely disabled. (IE) If you get in an accident then it will not deploy anything!
    Authorized UNITRONIC Dealer, BSH Dealer, EUROJET DEALER, ATP TURBO DEALER, Integrated Engineering Dealer, 42DD Dealer and ABD Dealer, VW/Audi Tuner, www.sms-performance.com
    FEATURED PRODUCTS: MKV FMIC STARTING @ $625.00 AND ALUMINUM VALVE COVERS / MKIV BIG TURBO KITS STARTING @ $2999.99

this is what i'm going to do... I'm gonna disconect the battery, then open up the glove compartment and take a look at the airbag wiring and the airbag itself, then go to my friends shop and erase the code and see what happens, if no luck. I'll let you know my vin #. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by SMS LLC. View Post
    Never seen that happen!
    Until one day you're workin on something and BOOM. then you get an upclose experience
    '05 GTi R
    '86 Porsche 951

Hey,

I have the same problem as you... did you get it resolved? Are you sure it's the wiring to the dash-bag and not the airbag in the seat?

Today I removed the glove box and I saw the wiring and they look normal with the exception of one cable that was unplugged.... Look at the pics and tell me what do you think? If the problem is just that unplugged cable then AWESOME! but if it's not that do I need to change the whole airbag?

thanks

I haz heated seats for Miami Florida!
    --- Full APR Stage II, Forge 007, SouthBend Stage 2 Clutch with 13 pound Flywheel, EVOMS V-Flow, ECS Light Weight Pulley Kit, ECS Dogbone mount insert, ECS Race Valve, Forge TIP, MK4 Full TurboPod w/ Indigo Boost Gauge, Greddy Turbo Timer with Companion Lite, Pioneer F90bt with Kicker Sub, TR Eyelids, 15% Tinted Windows, debadged, blacked out VW emblem, grill, side lights, and rims ---

--- Full APR Stage II, Forge 007, SouthBend Stage 2 Clutch with 13 pound Flywheel, EVOMS V-Flow, ECS Light Weight Pulley Kit, ECS Dogbone mount insert, ECS Race Valve, Forge TIP, MK4 Full TurboPod w/ Indigo Boost Gauge, Greddy Turbo Timer with Companion Lite, Pioneer F90bt with Kicker Sub, TR Eyelids, 15% Tinted Windows, debadged, blacked out VW emblem, grill, side lights, and rims ---

Ohhh... You can click in the pic for hi-def pics :d

Quote Originally Posted by bobostunk View Post
    Hey,

I have the same problem as you... did you get it resolved? Are you sure it's the wiring to the dash-bag and not the airbag in the seat?
    depends on what's your fault code though.... mine's 00589 that says is the passenger airbag, i think the 00588 is the one for the passenger side airbag seat though, but i'm not sure....

OHH.. about the unplugged cable.... I think that's just the cable for my glove compartment light right?

Red face Re: AirBag Fault Code 00589

Hey,

i tried clearing my code and it didnt go away.

I've been looking around and yeah, that loose cable is the one for your glove-light. i have the exact same error code as you. i unplugged the battery and disconnected the yellow connector... hoping to find corrosion or something. but it looked pretty good.

hooked everything back up and am going to try and clear the code again next week.

but im basically at the same point you are right now. i'll let you know what ends up happening... post up any advances please.

Hey,

i tried clearing my code and it didnt go away.

I've been looking around and yeah, that loose cable is the one for your glove-light. i have the exact same error code as you. i unplugged the battery and disconnected the yellow connector... hoping to find corrosion or something. but it looked pretty good.

hooked everything back up and am going to try and clear the code again next week.

but im basically at the same point you are right now. i'll let you know what ends up happening... post up any advances please.
    Ok. I will, and the same goes for you! keep me updated... good luck...

Well, I finally fixed it!!!!! I bought an used airbag from a 2004 Jetta from Ebay for 80 bucks, installed it myself and then took it to my shop to reset the fault code for free and it didn't turn back on!!!! so I fixed it for only 80 bucks!!! amazing!!!! and the dealership wanted me to charge me 400 bucks for the airbag plus labor.... WOW!!! lol I'M SO HAPPY!!!! :d

Well, I finally fixed it!!!!! I bought an used airbag from a 2004 Jetta from Ebay for 80 bucks, installed it myself and then took it to my shop to reset the fault code for free and it didn't turn back on!!!! so I fixed it for only 80 bucks!!! amazing!!!! and the dealership wanted me to charge me 400 bucks for the airbag plus labor.... WOW!!! lol I'M SO HAPPY!!!! :d
    Until one day you're driving along and BOOM.

Your airbag goes off but that d-bag friend of yours has a face full of windshield!

GREAT SUCCESS!
    '05 GTi R
    '86 Porsche 951

Quote Originally Posted by Roflsaurusrex View Post
    Until one day you're driving along and BOOM.

Your airbag goes off but that d-bag friend of yours has a face full of windshield!

GREAT SUCCESS!
    the airbag came from a vw jetta though so it's working properly with no problems whatsoever....

Quote Originally Posted by red_mk4 View Post
    the airbag came from a vw jetta though so it's working properly with no problems whatsoever.... :d
    boom!

Great success!
    '05 GTi R
    '86 Porsche 951

the airbag came from a vw jetta though so it's working properly with no problems whatsoever....
    Congrats man,

I am still trying to troubleshoot mine. but I'll probly end up going the way you went if I can't fix it in the next week. no way in hell im payin 400 bucks for an airbag i dont plan on using.

Congrats man,

I am still trying to troubleshoot mine. but I'll probly end up going the way you went if I can't fix it in the next week. no way in hell im payin 400 bucks for an airbag i dont plan on using.
    "i don't plan on using it. lol" what fault codes do you have? maybe i can help you out.

"i don't plan on using it. lol" what fault codes do you have? maybe i can help you out.
    I had the same fault you had... 00589...

Just rescanned it thoough and now, in addition to that, i have a wonderful 65535 Internal control module memory error....

wonderful.... anyone know where the airbag control module is?

New Dub Cub

Hi RED MK4
    How did the 00589 error finish off, My MK5 has the same issue 00589-Over Limit on the passenger side...
    Any advice would be appreciated....The local lads tell me it is $150 AUD Diagnostic + Labor $95.00 and parts
    They cannot give me a set approx hours for repair.

Thanks in advance
    C

+ Reply to Thread