Torque Steer and handling
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Torque Steer and handling

Default Torque Steer and handling

Hey, i'm new to these forums and was wondering a few things. I was never really a FWD guy, always stuck to high horsepower rwd cars. But i'm now looking to get something sporty that i can upgrade and beat on but i can also use as a DD. Now i've been doing a little research with the current turbo and setup the GLS 1.8T's have. and i've read that at stock they don't have that much torque steer but i never really saw anything from anyone that say upgraded to the k04 turbo's or got a flashed ecu. Now from personal opinions of anyone that has an upgraded 1.8t GTI. how is the torque steer and handling on corners in it? and do things like the quaife or peloquin LSDs help alot, or better coilovers/springs help alot when in comes to handling in corners? Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Torque Steer and handling

I personally have never owned a 1.8T, but I have driven a 1.8T GTI and as far as torque steer I don't really think it has any at all. Anything with 200hp or below to the front wheels should be fine, anything over that 200hp mark might cause some trouble.

My "FAST" wishlist: APR Stage 1 93, Koni Coilovers, EVOMS CAI, Autotech 3" cat-back, Forge DV.

REVIEW STAFF

For handling, after racing mine at a track, the only thing I would have done differently is had a thicker sway bar (any aftermarket one, mine was stock) and possibly a staggered set of wheels... Power wise, stage 2 would be perfect. And the cars do have torque steer, just not that intense and easy to correct. It gets worse with the stage 2 set up. Another must would be the dog bone mounts to eliminate wheel hop.

On a side note, the stock smic heatsoaks through 3rd gear, a neuspeed replacement core or the apr (or any fmic for that matter) will fix that and help maintain boost in 3rd and beyond. My car was also lowered with springs, and you could go coilovers, but I havn't tracked a 1.8T with them so unsure of the differences from a spring set up.

Any other questions just post em up
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo View Post
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

My Fast GTI Official Sponsor

One of the biggest issue is the wheel hop... Simple fix is the Dog Bone upgaded mount and the prothane control arm bushings. There are many choices on suspension out there. If you are looking for performance driving then Koni or Bilstiens kits will be the way. But if your looking for looks then B&G or K sport would suite you fine. An LSD isnt needed untill you start going with a much bigger turbo. BUT it does over all help the handling and would be recommended for canyon running or autocrossing.
    Authorized UNITRONIC Dealer, BSH Dealer, EUROJET DEALER, ATP TURBO DEALER, Integrated Engineering Dealer, 42DD Dealer and ABD Dealer, VW/Audi Tuner, www.sms-performance.com
    FEATURED PRODUCTS: MKV FMIC STARTING @ $625.00 AND ALUMINUM VALVE COVERS / MKIV BIG TURBO KITS STARTING @ $2999.99

Thumbs up Re: Torque Steer and handling

Let start with an LSD, will work no matter your HP, if you are going to the track or autox. Sway bar? just get the rear SB, 28mm, People thing that because is kinda big bar you will have a stiff ride, WRONG, you used the SB when you hard turn. Coils? if you are thinking in Track or Auto x KW, Koni. Power? intake, turbo back exhaust, unitronic chipped. You will be able to see over 200hp in a '03 or newer. need more info? PM me
    VR6T NOTHING ELSE!!!

Jedi Dubber

I'm Stage II, APR. I do have torque steel but not too much. One thing I have noticed is when I do get on it at low speeds the car tends to follow to road more than I want it to. I think it may be that I need an alignment though. We'll soon find out.

When I'm cornering hard I can't really feel any torque steer. As long as you ease back into it; and don't just punch it. I get the most steering issues when I take off from a dig.

As far as having a FWD, I have had lots of people talk down about it. But, they soon change their mind when they can't keep up around a corner. Plus most Mustang/Z28 guys just punch it out of the corner anyways. They just talk sh!t and and up getting squirrely out of a turn and try to blame it on "too much HP."
    APR Stage II, 42 DD TBE, AutoTech CAI, Forge DV, ECS N75, H&R Springs and Bilsteins.
    Tryin' to keep it stock on the outside.

Dubber In Training

use left foot braking

Quote Originally Posted by adome View Post
    use left foot braking
    ...........and?
    VTAkkiiiin

Jedi Dubber

I do use my left when I brake.
    APR Stage II, 42 DD TBE, AutoTech CAI, Forge DV, ECS N75, H&R Springs and Bilsteins.

I just don't see how that helps with tq steer...
    VTAkkiiiin

Jedi Dubber

Lol :d

Quote Originally Posted by VWVR6T View Post
    Let start with an LSD, will work no matter your HP, if you are going to the track or autox. Sway bar? just get the rear SB, 28mm, People thing that because is kinda big bar you will have a stiff ride, WRONG, you used the SB when you hard turn. Coils? if you are thinking in Track or Auto x KW, Koni. Power? intake, turbo back exhaust, unitronic chipped. You will be able to see over 200hp in a '03 or newer. need more info? PM me
    But its a waste if ya dont need it, unless your bt... ya dont need to upgrade, get the front sway to esp. if ya drop the car, the ride will stiffen up in turning but it won't impact ride comfort as much as a spring/ shock combo, only reason i would get uni chipped is if you plan on BT go GIAC or APR, you will be able to see over 200 whp in any year 1.8t, AWP engine code 1.8's will realistically be able to take you to mid 200's hp wise and higher tq numbers
    VTAkkiiiin

Dubber In Training

Lightbulb Re: Torque Steer and handling

left foot braking is good for keeping the car level through the turns and allows the drive to keep his right foot on the accelerator to go faster. Using this technique, will allow you to feather the throttle which basically is 'torque steering,' using the engine to work to increase or decrease the radius of the turn.

Dubber In Training

that guy is ballin. I wonder if he just got done making that suit.

Quote Originally Posted by boostedJTi View Post
    For handling, after racing mine at a track, the only thing I would have done differently is had a thicker sway bar (any aftermarket one, mine was stock) and possibly a staggered set of wheels... Power wise, stage 2 would be perfect. And the cars do have torque steer, just not that intense and easy to correct. It gets worse with the stage 2 set up. Another must would be the dog bone mounts to eliminate wheel hop.

On a side note, the stock smic heatsoaks through 3rd gear, a neuspeed replacement core or the apr (or any fmic for that matter) will fix that and help maintain boost in 3rd and beyond. My car was also lowered with springs, and you could go coilovers, but I havn't tracked a 1.8T with them so unsure of the differences from a spring set up.

Any other questions just post em up

dog bone mounts?? sorry im not up on the termanology.... i have a stock 01 gti automatic and cant spin a damn tire now but plan on putting some money into it soon, but the reason i ask is a owned a 02 altima that wheel hopped and i dont wanna have to put up with that again...

+ Reply to Thread