Black carbon build up on your exhaust tips? I have the answer!
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Thread: Black carbon build up on your exhaust tips? I have the answer!

Dubber In Training

Talking Black carbon build up on your exhaust tips? I have the answer!

Hey guys,

I had the same problem, and for a while I was not able to figure it out. I called my local VW service center, and they offered me no solutions. Then I called another VW service center that was farther away, and one of the technicians gave me THE ANSWER! I tried it and it worked!

For whatever reason, the GTI's exhaust tips are easily dirtied by the black carbon exhaust. Other than buying an aftermarket exhaust system, there's only two ways around this:

1) if your exhaust tips are still ok enough to wipe clean and then polish without any of the black carbon remaining, you are going to have to simply keep a rag or cloth of some sort in the back of your GTI, and wipe the black stuff off one to two times a day (after every time you drive) and just maintain it every day...otherwise it builds up and is extremely hard to remove.

2)If you are like me and you have gotten to the point where the black carbon won't come off of your exhaust tips by simply cleaning it or polishing it...the ANSWER IS STEEL WOOL! They sell the stuff anywhere, you can probably find it at Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts...somewhere like that. But it usually comes in packs of three...you will have to use the "Coarse Steel Wool" to get the black carbon off of your exhaust tips...and then you can use the "Fine Steel Wool" to polish your tips. But it's going to take some work with the "Coarse Steel Wool" to get the black stuff off.

But after this, you are going to have to maintain your exhaust tips daily with a cloth. Do like I did and keep the cloth in the small side compartment in the back of the GTI, and then wipe the black stuff off of your exhaust tips after every time you drive. There it is guys! Your answer! I'm glad to be of help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Black carbon build up on your exhaust tips? I have the answer!

I've noticed it too but thought it was the 93 octane or my not so hard driving habits that caused it. Mine isnt that bad.. it can be wiped and polished clean again. Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlight88 View Post
    try reading for once instead of e-thuggin

so with an aftermarket exhaust this wont happen

Quote Originally Posted by CMAK View Post
    so with an aftermarket exhaust this wont happen
    happens to mine, i dont have a cat though. im lazy, so i simply ignore that part of the fast.

REVIEW STAFF

So who do I contact about raw flames burning the inside of my piping? lol
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo View Post
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

Fahrenheit GTI Owner banditscout's Avatar

the fire department...

GIAC X-Chip, Neuspeed P-Flo SRI, Eurojet PCV Fix, New South Performance Column Mounted Boost Gauge, AS OF TODAY- GIAC DSG REFLASH (AMAZING!!)*

Quote Originally Posted by rgpiedra View Post
    Hey guys,

I had the same problem, and for a while I was not able to figure it out. I called my local VW service center, and they offered me no solutions. Then I called another VW service center that was farther away, and one of the technicians gave me THE ANSWER! I tried it and it worked!

For whatever reason, the GTI's exhaust tips are easily dirtied by the black carbon exhaust. Other than buying an aftermarket exhaust system, there's only two ways around this:

1) if your exhaust tips are still ok enough to wipe clean and then polish without any of the black carbon remaining, you are going to have to simply keep a rag or cloth of some sort in the back of your GTI, and wipe the black stuff off one to two times a day (after every time you drive) and just maintain it every day...otherwise it builds up and is extremely hard to remove.

2)If you are like me and you have gotten to the point where the black carbon won't come off of your exhaust tips by simply cleaning it or polishing it...the ANSWER IS STEEL WOOL! They sell the stuff anywhere, you can probably find it at Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts...somewhere like that. But it usually comes in packs of three...you will have to use the "Coarse Steel Wool" to get the black carbon off of your exhaust tips...and then you can use the "Fine Steel Wool" to polish your tips. But it's going to take some work with the "Coarse Steel Wool" to get the black stuff off.

But after this, you are going to have to maintain your exhaust tips daily with a cloth. Do like I did and keep the cloth in the small side compartment in the back of the GTI, and then wipe the black stuff off of your exhaust tips after every time you drive. There it is guys! Your answer! I'm glad to be of help!
    My advice is to use a product form Eagle 1 called Nev-r Dull which is a fine steel wool like product that has some magic chemical in it which will quickly and safely remove the black soot

Steel Wool is the oldest method for cleaning exhaust tips. I've been doing that for 15 years

i cleaned mine with this shiit called Awesome. its yellowish and comes in a spray bottle for $1 a bottle. i think that the stuff is toxic but it works wonders

If the car was not burning so much oil it would not have sucj a carbon build up to start with .

Closed Thread