Mk4 Golf GTi Turbo - Remap/Boost Problems
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Thread: Mk4 Golf GTi Turbo - Remap/Boost Problems

Dubber In Training

Angry Mk4 Golf GTi Turbo - Remap/Boost Problems

Hi,

Firstly, I'm new to the Forum...so hello to all!!!

Secondly, before I get going, what's CEL I read a few threads about DVs and people kept mentioning this.

Right, I have a Mk4 Golf GTi Turbo - Engine code: AGU. When I bought it, it had a Baileys dump valve, it had been Superchipped, and it was 170bhp running approx 16psi. More to the point...it used to hold boost and would pull well throughout the rev range.

I decided I wanted 200bhp, and so went for a remap. Chris Wells at CC Tuning (http://www.cctuning.co.uk) did it for me. He said his remap alone would achieve 195bhp. He'd then fit the N75J (Boost Control Solenoid) from the TT which would make it hold boost longer, adding about 10bhp and making it 205bhp running approx 20psi.

When I got it done, it did feel quicker....but not 200bhp quick. I took it for a Rolling Road, and it was 170bhp running approx 14psi. Strangely, boost get's to about 12/13psi when you boot it...but then as of 3500rpm...boost just drops off...as does torque.

So...I took it back to the remap guy. He was (obviously) confident in his software, and says he's done 100s of 1.8 20v T engines with this same remap and they're all fine. He's a nice guy though and so he started to help me try amd diagnose the fault.

He had a Mass Air Flow (MAF) in stock, so we changed that (as it's normally everyones first suggestion)...and it made no difference.

We then took the throttle body off and gave it a good clean...but still no difference.

We checked the air filter, and it looks almost new, so no problem there.

We then noticed that the Baileys DV was open on half throttle. It only closed on full throttle. So he suggested a Forge 007 (yellow spring) Re-circ DV as he new these were tested against several levels of boost. He also noticed though his laptop that coolant temp was lower than expected.

So...I coughed up for a new Forge DV and also got a replacement Coolant Temp Sensor from VW. STILL no difference.

All the above failed...we assumed there must be an air leak somewhere, losing boost. Took it to ADC diagnostics in Bulwell. To be fair, he did only have the morning on it...but much to my disappointment...he called back a few hours later saying he couldn't spot any obvious boost leaks anywhere.

SO....PLEASE can you help me!!!

I've done EVERYTHING i can to try and rectify this problem myself. I've also spent a fair amount attempting to get a garages to try and diagnose this fault...but as of yet, i've had no luck.

No fault codes come up on the VAG-COM to indicate anything suspicious. I'm basially stuck. And i'm a week away (got it in somewhere else on satuday) from saying to Chris to put my original software back on it and to have my money back. I'd really prefer not to have to do this, because the reason I spent the money in the first place was to have my golf at 200bhp....but if the problem can't be solved....i'll av my 300 back thank u very much.

Any advice you can offer is GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks

Twign

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Dubber In Training

Default Re: Mk4 Golf GTi Turbo - Remap/Boost Problems

NB:

Could anyone tell me what an EGR valve is?? And if it's possible at all that this could have something to do with my problems?

Just saw that on another forum but didn't know what it was.

Thanks

Twign

REVIEW STAFF

You want 200bhp, buy the k04 upgrade turbo. Put a cold air intake on the car and a turbo back exhaust, wont need anything other than that.

CEL - Check Engine Light

And as far as the EGR valve is concerned, that is part of the emissions control unit and wont cause the car to fall on it's face. The problem you seem to be having here is when the car hits peak torque and boost pressure it gives up, meaning either A, there is a problem occuring with the fuel curve or B, you're having a problem holding boost. Check your lower intercooler tubing from the intercooler to the turbo just to double check and make sure it's all buttoned up.
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo View Post
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

Dubber In Training

Hi boosedJTi.

Thanks for you response.

Check Engine Light!!! That's what it is. I knew it would be somthing simple, but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Regarding my problems...my golf has already been modified so it "should" be 200bhp.

Obviously something's wrong, because it's not 200bhp, however I don't think the answer to the problem is "go out and buy a bigger turbo" because if that were the case and you couldn't obtain 200bhp from the KO3...people wouldn't claim they could.

Thanks all the same for the input

Twign

Jedi Dubber

If your sure that there are no boost leaks I'm with boosted on the fuel map.

One thought though. If the DV is bad it could be releasing pressure too soon. And with a DV and the stock air filter you may not be able to hear it.

I have a Forge DV and couldn't hear the boost release until I got a CAI.

Syth

Dubber In Training

CAI

It's like learning computers all over again with all these abbreviations. lol.

FYI, I have the Forge 007 DV fitted. I replaced my Baileys one with this one as we suspected the Baileys was losing boost. Think it unlikely that I have 2 faulty DVs...so I assume the problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks again

Twign

cold air intake

i would try having him put your stock n75 on just to make sure the new one isnt busted.
    '03 BLUE GTI 1.8T
    Turbo K04-001
    .:R Steering wheel/ .:R Pedal set/ Neuspeed P-flow SR (getting rid of soon)/ ECS Tuning Race N75 valve/ Bilstien Suspension Kit/ Forge Turbo Inlet Pipe/ New South Center Pod Boost Gauge
    / Fusion 12" sub With Fusion 450 Amp and JVC deck
    / Ecs R Coilpack

Dubber In Training

Hiya.

Yea we did that already...and it's very flat and slow on acceleration, so we took that as the N75J doing it's job, or there'd be little difference.

It probably is something simple like that.

Something else has now opened for debate. I've had a few users tell me that i'm basically dreaming if i'm trying to achieve 200bhp and 20psi out of an AUG or AGU (can't remember which was round it is) with a standard KO3 turbo.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

twign

REVIEW STAFF

Well considering most 200bhp GTi's have the AWD motor which has 180bhp from the factory, not the 150bhp your motor came with, it's a lot harder for your motor to carry that with a stock k03. even if you just upgraded to a k03s from a 180bhp model you could be a little closer...

Ultimately a k04 upgrade seems like a whole lot, but if you want 200bhp it's the easiest way for it and you wont lose stock like driveability
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Dubber In Training

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I've rang http://www.chipeduk.com which is where i'm taking it on Saturday, coz i'm in Nottingham, so it's a bit of a trek, and if it is the case that i'll never get anywhere near 200bhp...there's little point in me going.

However, when I spoke to them earlier...and they seem to think that although 205bhp is a little steep...I should atleast be able to get it to approx. 195bhp

Like i've said...i'm finding this really confusing, because on one hand I have a group of professionals saying i'm never gonna get anywhere near this...but then on the other hand I have a group of professionals saying that my engine/turbo is well capable of this and therefore there must be a problem.

Now I'm not especially mechanical...so I just listen to what people tell me...but in this particular case i've got no idea who's in the right and who's in the wrong so it's kind of tricky to know what to think!

Thanks again.

New Dub Cub

just browsing and ran into this thread. i'm also looking to gain some horses out of a mk4 gti and same problems. i did read that a guy (or gal) could modify the absolute manifold pressure sensor and trick the computer into thinking its got less boost, ultamately allowing more boost to biuld up before opening wastegate and not throwing a trouble code. my car gets right up to 5lbs. and then starts to blow it off (DV) and bypass turbo via wastegate.

"The DIODE(s) is connected to the correct wire(s) in the MAP sensor wiring harness. The MAP sensor sends signal to the ECU is voltage increments (so for 10PSI there is a corresponding voltage that is sent to the ECU when the MAP is reading 10 PSI)."

REVIEW STAFF

If you only get 5lbs of boost then you're hitting limp mode...
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Dubster

I wonder if the guy you got it chipped at is talking about giving your car 200+ hp at the flywheel as opposed to at the wheels. For an example: my engine stock is an AWP and it came with 180hp at the flywheel. However, once you calculate the 25% drivetrain loss, you're looking at probably less than 150hp at the wheels. With my APR stage 1 chip, it's rated at... 210? 220? hp at the flywheel but I'm probably at 180 or so.
    2005 GTI 1.8T - APR Stage 2, 42 DD catless DP, AFE SRI, HKS SSQVIII BOV, Stage 2 BFI Dogbone, OEM Audi TT Short Shifter, 15% tint, 8000k HID's

Spaminator numero uno 07GTIMYFAST's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DM1.8T View Post
    just browsing and ran into this thread. i'm also looking to gain some horses out of a mk4 gti and same problems. i did read that a guy (or gal) could modify the absolute manifold pressure sensor and trick the computer into thinking its got less boost, ultamately allowing more boost to biuld up before opening wastegate and not throwing a trouble code. my car gets right up to 5lbs. and then starts to blow it off (DV) and bypass turbo via wastegate.

"The DIODE(s) is connected to the correct wire(s) in the MAP sensor wiring harness. The MAP sensor sends signal to the ECU is voltage increments (so for 10PSI there is a corresponding voltage that is sent to the ECU when the MAP is reading 10 PSI)."
    that would be a ghetto way of fixing it and not the smartest when you start tricking the computer to building more boost than it realizes then your going to lean out the A/F ratio.

now im getting confused i thought it wasn't a big deal having a different engine code, revo has the same gains with their chips from all the 1.8t engine codes? So are we talking bhp here? or whp?

Closed Thread