Smoke out of exhaust on warm idle....any ideas?
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Smoke out of exhaust on warm idle....any ideas?

Default Smoke out of exhaust on warm idle....any ideas?

2008 GTI FSI Stage 2 (130k), PCV Delete (Spulen Plate) and Straight Piped. 161k

Only once the car is fully warm and at idle after sitting for maybe 30 seconds once fully warm, it starts to smoke a blue haze. When I revv it I get a puff and again about 30 seconds later it starts all over. I can also pull my dipstick at idle doesn't change at all. All this started maybe 3 weeks ago while waiting in line at a drive through. The turbo spools fine and doesn't have any abnormal sounds. I called my tuner and he said its doubtful that my turbo is bad and he thinks my accordian tube is plugged? Anybody else have any ideas that might be able to point me in the right direction? The smell is definitely oil, Im not losing coolant and on accel and decel I dont get any smoke. Just on idle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

DAS IST MEIN FAST

Default Re: Smoke out of exhaust on warm idle....any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by helldiver14 View Post
    2008 GTI FSI Stage 2 (130k), PCV Delete (Spulen Plate) and Straight Piped. 161k

Only once the car is fully warm and at idle after sitting for maybe 30 seconds once fully warm, it starts to smoke a blue haze. When I revv it I get a puff and again about 30 seconds later it starts all over. I can also pull my dipstick at idle doesn't change at all. All this started maybe 3 weeks ago while waiting in line at a drive through. The turbo spools fine and doesn't have any abnormal sounds. I called my tuner and he said its doubtful that my turbo is bad and he thinks my accordian tube is plugged? Anybody else have any ideas that might be able to point me in the right direction? The smell is definitely oil, Im not losing coolant and on accel and decel I dont get any smoke. Just on idle.

Blue smoke is unburnt oil. I am thinking rings on the pistons might be going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content 2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

Default Re: Smoke out of exhaust on warm idle....any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by helldiver14 View Post
    Would this cause smoke out the exhaust at idle? Sorry to hi jack
    Not likely, no. More likely to be in need of a head rebuild, but you can let it go on until you're ready for that. In need of new valve stem guides and seals. You could just do new seals without the rebuild and see if that fixes it, but usually if the seals are worn, hard, or brittle....you need new stem guides as well. A shop can rebuild the head for under $500, but it's the head removal and re-installation that cost more...unless you do them yourself.
    K04 PLAY...Hidden Content ...ZOOM DIS!
    `07 GTI/GIAC K04 Tunes/GIAC DSG Tune/AWE DV/APR HPFP/USP LPFP/S3 INJ's & fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc, WG & TB HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH PCV&MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/GIAC DSG FILE/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R-ARB/TSW 8X18 NURB's/Hidden Content Hidden Content