DIY Keeping that engine fresh!
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Poll: My First DIY - How'd I Do? Please vote honestly!

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Keeping that engine fresh!

Default Keeping that engine fresh!

So there's tons of DIY's for keeping your interior and paint clean. But what about your engine.

First off, its best to do this on a moderate temperature day. Don't do this in the rain or on a extremely hot day!

Things needed:
    • Degreaser or Engine Cleaner
    • Carb or Brake Cleaner
    • Plastic bags
    • Wire Brushes (Plastic not metal)
    • Air compressor or Shop Vac
    • Clean Rags
    • Engine Shine (I just use tire shine)
    • Water Hose with a Adjustable Nozzle

Step 1: Cover Your Electronics

Cover electrical parts like the alternator, distributor, ECU or relay boxes with plastic bags. This will keep them from getting overly soaked. If you have any exposed or damaged wires, think about fixing them before a deep cleaning

Step 3: Remove Loose Dirt

Use compressed air to blow out any loose dirt. A shop vac with a small hose adapter will also work. Keep in mind you want to get into the tight spaces.

Step 4: Use Engine Cleaner

Spray down the engine with either a degreaser or engine cleaner. For the electrical components, you can us a non-residue cleaner like carb cleaner or brake cleaner.

Let it set for 10-30 minutes. The longer the better. This will help brake-up and of the thick and grimy grease that may be caked on.

You can then apply additional cleaner if needed. Use your wire brush to scrub those thick spots.

Note: for aluminum parts, you can also use a soft metal wire brush with something like CLR to help clean it.
    Step 4: Rinse

Now that its done soaking, and you've scrubbed all that junk off. Rinse the engine off completely with a soft shower type hose nozzle. You don't want high pressure...all you'll do is push additional water and grime into your engine.

Don't be afraid of damaging your engine. Unless you completely submerge it in water, your not going to hurt it.
    Step 5: Repeat and Let Dry

Rinse and repeat until a desired cleanliness is archived. After your engine is clean, let air dry, or you can also speed up the drying process with your compressor or shop vac.

Last Step: Make It Shine!!!

Now that your engine is nice and clean, its time to make that B%@$! shine.
    Take you engine shine or tire shine and give all those black rubber pieces a nice spray. It works great on black painted surfaces too.

Let it set for a couple minutes, then take your rags (I prefer microfiber) and wipe down all the rubber surfaces you just sprayed.

Now that your done, you can sit back and admire your newly cleaned engine! True people that see you driving can't see it, but you know. And its always good to have a clean engine for the meets you might happen to run into. (Its also good for finding leaks you didn't know about, or had difficulties finding)

I hope this helps, and please feel free to comment or suggest any changes I can add!

NOTE: I will be updating this DIY with pictures and/or revisions

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Keeping that engine fresh!

You should have posted some pics for better reference, but any way good job and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by conner View Post
    You should have posted some pics for better reference, but any way good job and thanks for sharing.
    I should be updating this withing the next couple days with pictures...

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Sorry I haven't uploaded any photos yet, With the work I've been doing to solve my ecu issue, and that it has been 100-110 degrees the last couple weeks. I haven't been able to take any photos of the process! Hopefully I will be able to do this soon!
    Hidden Content
    05 MKIV GTI 1.8t 5 speed auto tiptronic - ECS Tuning - HKS - Neuspeed - H&R - SSP Tuning Stage1 - Streetline X - Hart - ADB - Forge Motorsports - Rally Armor - Apexi - NewSouth Performance