Turbo issues
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Turbo issues

Default Turbo issues

Hey everyone. Since last week I'm having a bit of trouble with the turbocharger of my GTI.
    I bought the car equipped with boost meter and ever since it has been showing nice boost of about 1.5 bar (max). Few days ago while driving home from night shift suddenly the car lost power, went to rev no more than 2k rpm and the turbo didnt even kicked in. I parked and decided to check it out later. Few hours afterwards I tested her, the engine was revving fine to red line, but the turbo never went past 0.5 bar. And thats how it currently works.
    This morning after a bad road bump the same happened. Few min ago I had a look from below and found out that the hose from the intercooler going to the turbo is all oily. Im wondering if my turborcharger is gone, or I'm having bad leak somewhere. Any advices would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Turbo issues

Last edited by Monty Thurber; 07-05-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: 123

Clean the oil off and if it takes a bit of time to appear...all is fine because they all seep a bit of oil at the lowest hose connector. You can replace the o-ring seal there as well. If boost is being lost there...you definitely need to replace the seal anyways.

Something is going on and it is going into limp/safe mode. If you can do a full Auto-scan of the fault codes...that would help. Otherwise, you need to inspect everything for the boost loss because it is not likely the turbo failed so suddenly. It is more likely there is a boost leak, the DV has failed, or even something unrelated can demand limp or safe mode.
    K04 PLAY...Hidden Content ...ZOOM DIS!
    `07 GTI/GIAC K04 Tunes/GIAC DSG Tune/AWE DV/APR HPFP/USP LPFP/S3 INJ's & fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc, WG & TB HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH PCV&MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/GIAC DSG FILE/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R-ARB/TSW 8X18 NURB's/Hidden Content Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I've found the source of my problem. After scanning the car for like 2 hours, and getting absolutely no errors on engine I had a nice Google education about my car's turbo (manual, forums, etc) and found out to be a wastegate actuator rod issue. For some reason with the time my wastegate actuator got stuck open (probably by vibrations since i have to replace some engine mounts). After a nice look under the car I also found out that the locking clip on the rod is gone so now I'll have to adjust the rod and find new clip. Also I got small oil leak from the turbo, but that's other story..
    I hope that this thread could help anyone in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ROH ECHT View Post
    Clean the oil off and if it takes a bit of time to appear...all is fine because they all seep a bit of oil at the lowest hose connector. You can replace the o-ring seal there as well. If boost is being lost there...you definitely need to replace the seal anyways.

Something is going on and it is going into limp/safe mode. If you can do a full Auto-scan of the fault codes...that would help. Otherwise, you need to inspect everything for the boost loss because it is not likely the turbo failed so suddenly. It is more likely there is a boost leak, the DV has failed, or even something unrelated can demand limp or safe mode.

Would this cause smoke out the exhaust at idle? Sorry to hi jack

Quote Originally Posted by excessive View Post
    Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I've found the source of my problem. After scanning the car for like 2 hours, and getting absolutely no errors on engine I had a nice Google education about my car's turbo (manual, forums, etc) and found out to be a wastegate actuator rod issue. For some reason with the time my wastegate actuator got stuck open (probably by vibrations since i have to replace some engine mounts). After a nice look under the car I also found out that the locking clip on the rod is gone so now I'll have to adjust the rod and find new clip. Also I got small oil leak from the turbo, but that's other story..
    I hope that this thread could help anyone in the future.
    Don't really need the clip...I don't have one on my K04. It's never loosened...so probably just a matter of securing the two opposing nuts well. Did you sort out the oil all over the turbo-to-fmic hose? Probably just need the o-ring at the hose-to-fmic connection unless it's the upper connection leaking.
    K04 PLAY...Hidden Content ...ZOOM DIS!
    `07 GTI/GIAC K04 Tunes/GIAC DSG Tune/AWE DV/APR HPFP/USP LPFP/S3 INJ's & fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc, WG & TB HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH PCV&MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/GIAC DSG FILE/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R-ARB/TSW 8X18 NURB's/Hidden Content Hidden Content