Help! 08 GTI wont start!
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Help! 08 GTI wont start!

New Dub Cub

Default Help! 08 GTI wont start!

I ran a scan which led me to changing the fuel filter.

This worked and the car started for about 2 minutes and then died before I could go anywhere.

Now it wont start again.

I have changed the fuel relay, fuel pressure sensor, and other minor things but no dice.

Im suspecting it could be that I got a bad fuel filter but thought I would ask if anyone has had the same experience before I get under the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Help! 08 GTI wont start!

Was the filter a 6.6bar rated one...there is another with a much lower regulation that look the same. If you replaced the relay, after all else, take a look at the controller under the rear seat. Upon inspection, if it looks melted or deformed in any way...that may be the issue. Better yet, is if you know someone with the same car and might let you swap for their controller to use just for a moment...that will tell you if the thing is fried. When the controller is shot...the engine will die, but it is supposed to start after 20 minutes or so if not gone completely.
    K04 PLAY...Hidden Content ...ZOOM DIS!
    `07 GTI/GIAC K04 Tunes/GIAC DSG Tune/AWE DV/APR HPFP/USP LPFP/S3 INJ's & fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc, WG & TB HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH PCV&MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/GIAC DSG FILE/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R-ARB/TSW 8X18 NURB's/Hidden Content Hidden Content

My son's car did the same thing. It's at a local shop right now. The closest VW place to me is almost 100 miles away. I looked at the controller and it looked perfectly normal. Relay I bought but have not installed yet.

Which fuse is the one for the fuel pump? The only schematic I could find showed that it was the #28F fuse.
    Last edited by KBoltz; 04-07-2017 at 01:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

I just received a call from the shop. Seems it is the crank position sensor.

Sensor and labor, 300 bucks

Interesting it's that. As far as fuse #...good luck! I got 8 different print-outs printed by the dealer's service department when searching for a fuse diagram for mine and the one for my production date did not match the actual layout in my fuse box...nor did any of them...so I gave up on looking for a correct diagram.
    K04 PLAY...Hidden Content ...ZOOM DIS!
    `07 GTI/GIAC K04 Tunes/GIAC DSG Tune/AWE DV/APR HPFP/USP LPFP/S3 INJ's & fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc, WG & TB HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH PCV&MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/GIAC DSG FILE/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R-ARB/TSW 8X18 NURB's/Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ROH ECHT View Post
    Interesting it's that. As far as fuse #...good luck! I got 8 different print-outs printed by the dealer's service department when searching for a fuse diagram for mine and the one for my production date did not match the actual layout in my fuse box...nor did any of them...so I gave up on looking for a correct diagram.
    It's back home, running like a champ now. Now, no more oil leaks from the oil filter housing (replaced that gasket as well as the oil cooler gasket). Took it on a 150 mile round trip and it did 30.3 MPG at 70 mph.