First oil change at what mileage on 2013 GTI ??
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First oil change at what mileage on 2013 GTI ??

New Dub Cub

Default First oil change at what mileage on 2013 GTI ??

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I'm a bit concerned that the first oil change isn't called for until 10k miles. My dealer just told me today that VW uses a "special" break in oil that needs to stay in the engine for that long. Come on now, I've been driving, racing, etc for over 30 years and have never heard that before. Maybe it's true, but I'd like to hear from others about their service intervals.

TIA

Cheers,

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Dubster

Default Re: First oil change at what mileage on 2013 GTI ??

That's B.S. The engines are pretty much broken in when new, but the cost of an oil change before 10,000 is worth the peace of mind. I have a 2010 and the dealer tried to talk me out of changing it a 4000 miles for the first one. Just before the change I noticed it was down about half a quart and I still change mine every 5000.After 50000 it uses less than a pint between changes. Be sure to vary your driving spends the 1st 2000-3000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by alfabc View Post
    Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I'm a bit concerned that the first oil change isn't called for until 10k miles. My dealer just told me today that VW uses a "special" break in oil that needs to stay in the engine for that long. Come on now, I've been driving, racing, etc for over 30 years and have never heard that before. Maybe it's true, but I'd like to hear from others about their service intervals.

TIA

Cheers,

Bill
    I would listen to the dealer and the manual. They made the car. They know what they're doing. Why would they tell you to spend LESS money at the dealer unless there is some truth to the break in oil. Even my brand new 2007 Civic needed to go 7500 miles before the first oil change because of the break in oil.

Dubber In Training

There is no such thing as break-in oil. It is factory filled with a full synthetic VW spec oil. We have seen a letter from VW stating this fact. While VW calls for oil changes every 10K miles, it's your car. 10K is the minimum requirement. You do what you want. Me? I change every 5-7.5K. My last VW lasted 265,000 miles on 7500 interval oil changes and ran like new until my daughter had an argument with a curb and the Beetle paid the price. Just use a quality 5W-40 full synthetic 502 oil, keep your receipts for the oil and filter and you can't go wrong. Motul X-cess fits that bill very nicely for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cbenjes View Post
    There is no such thing as break-in oil. It is factory filled with a full synthetic VW spec oil. We have seen a letter from VW stating this fact. While VW calls for oil changes every 10K miles, it's your car. 10K is the minimum requirement. You do what you want. Me? I change every 5-7.5K. My last VW lasted 265,000 miles on 7500 interval oil changes and ran like new until my daughter had an argument with a curb and the Beetle paid the price. Just use a quality 5W-40 full synthetic 502 oil, keep your receipts for the oil and filter and you can't go wrong. Motul X-cess fits that bill very nicely for me.
    Very good advice.....

That's what I'll be doing.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Bill

2013 VW GTI, 4 Door, 6 speed manual, Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by cbenjes View Post
    I stated that there was a special oil in my civic. I have no idea what comes in a VW bc I bought mine used.

+ Reply to Thread