DSG owners, any regrets??
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: DSG owners, any regrets??

Dubber In Training

Default DSG owners, any regrets??

I'm in the market for a GTI and the ones I'm looking at are in the 70k+ mileage area and I have to seriously consider a DSG model because my girl might occasionally need my car and can not drive stick. I put about 25k *mostly* highway miles on my car per year.

I have test driven three DSG's and one 6spd and coming from a 350z 6spd, the manual GTI was a freaking dream to shift and that is where my heart really is but the DSG was fun, fast and I can see rush hour traffic being much easier.

So my question to DSG owners is, do you have any regrets?? Maintenance wise? Cost wise? Fun wise? Did the novelty of the paddles wear off? Or whatever wise??

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: DSG owners, any regrets??

NO;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmy6VkdT_M

I still play/drive with all the shifting functions. Never in D mode, always shifting. The 40k service can be a bit costly but at least you don't have to do it often.

If buying off a lot, I'd tell them to do a dsg service 1st, as it is upcoming, and then you'll buy it.
    Last edited by ROH ECHT; 05-01-2017 at 01:44 AM.
    K04 PLAY...Hidden Content ...ZOOM DIS!
    `07 GTI/GIAC K04 Tunes/GIAC DSG Tune/AWE DV/APR HPFP/USP LPFP/S3 INJ's & fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc, WG & TB HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH PCV&MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/GIAC DSG FILE/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R-ARB/TSW 8X18 NURB's/Hidden Content Hidden Content

no complaints so far! i love the DSG, shift are amazingly quick and on point. I always drive in manual mode because regular drive sucks haha but i hardly ever use my paddles anymore i just shift with the actual shift knob, but the paddles are still more fun to use.
    08 CW MKV GTI
    Instagram - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ROH ECHT View Post
    I want K04 now....
    08 CW MKV GTI
    Instagram - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I thought dsg service was every 40k.

Sent from that Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by xcrazydx Hidden Content
    I wouldn't trust them to install a burrito into a paper bag.
    Instagram: @swervin_VI

Teach your girl to drive a manual; not that hard.
    MKVI--Deep Black Metallic Manual-- 2Dr. Autobahn -- APR stage 2--Eurojet DP--Evoms Intake--H&R Sport Springs--Euroswitch--Tint:F 20% R 15%--Short Shifter

My other fun is a 2013 Triumph Thruxton

Dubber In Training

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Teach your girl to drive a manual; not that hard.
    I showed her your post and she goes, "I've tried and I'm manually incapable." Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfire6 View Post
    I showed her your post and she goes, "I've tried and I'm manually incapable." Hahaha
    Word usage appreciated! "Think you can or Think you can't--you are correct".
    MKVI--Deep Black Metallic Manual-- 2Dr. Autobahn -- APR stage 2--Eurojet DP--Evoms Intake--H&R Sport Springs--Euroswitch--Tint:F 20% R 15%--Short Shifter

Agreed with Lumi-GTI. I really do love the DSG but D is basically useless. You could be at 2/3 throttle pushing 15 psi and it'll shift you at 2k rpms... Tuned of course. And I too find myself using the shifter to shift most of the time.
    2009 BMP GTI 4DR w/ DSG and Leather
    Neuspeed P-flo | Smoked Sidemarkers | Podi Boost Gauge | Dash Tray | R-Line Lower Grilles | Yellow Fogs | H&R Sport Cup Kit | 3" 42DD Turboback | VAG-COM Tweaks | Unitronic Stage 2 | MBR TSW Nurburgrings | Michelin PSS
    Waiting patiently for UNI or GIAC to release FrankenTurbo software...

Hidden Content

Love my DSG. Even manual fans remark about it's quickness.
    Suzuki GSXR 600 Build/Mod Thread:

Hidden Content

The moment I hit traffic I remember why I got the DSG. It's great.

Plus, my fiancee is able to drive it if she needs to. You know, incase I'm doing something stupid and I need a quick drive to the hospital or something(though bleeding all over the car doesn't sound good. Maybe I'd just risk it and wait for someone to show up :P)
    2011 Candy White DSG MK6
    Unitronic Stage 1+||Injen Intake||Rear De-badge||Red Footwell Lights
    BFI Stage 1 Motor Mounts||Euro Cup Holder||GFB DV+

Hidden Content

Pros: Girl friendly, easy traffic, launch control, faster shifting

Cons: Maintenance costs, loss of 'excitement', DSG queefs, lacks upgradability

Seriously, I love my DSG, even more with the LSD in it. However, if your mechatronics unit goes out without any warranty, expect $900 in parts alone. If your DSG is anything like mine, and decides to crap out completely, it's a $5500 replacement rather than $2500 for rebuilding the standard gearbox.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by MiniCoopKiller Hidden Content
    FF is our resident wheel whore so he knows what he is talking about.

Notice I'm DSG paddle shifting. It's so quick, smooth, and fault free without creating that disengaged clutch lull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmy6VkdT_M

No issues to date with mine at 92k miles. And I do, yes do, drive spirited, yes spirited, a lot...I mean often. ;]

Not upgradeable? My giac dsg remap upgraded mine. Higher rpm redline = 7k, higher rpm launch = 4k, lower rpm kick down in S and tiptronic modes, and torque governor eliminated providing 'yikes' torque @ 363 ft*lb;

Last edited by ROH ECHT; 01-03-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    `07 GTI/GIAC K04 Tunes/GIAC DSG Tune/AWE DV/APR HPFP/USP LPFP/S3 INJ's & fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc, WG & TB HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH PCV&MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/GIAC DSG FILE/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R-ARB/TSW 8X18 NURB's/Hidden Content Hidden Content

Haha...Reading this is awesome. Here's all you need to know. Can you shift as fast as my DSG? Nope. Get it. It's not about connecting to the car or being a purist. Veryon = Dual clutch. GTR = Dual clutch auto. Porsche 911 Turbo, 997 Carerra (s), Boxster, Cayman, Panamera. Mercedes SLS AMG. Ferrari 458 Italia, California. BMW M3, Z4. Audi A3, A4, S4, TT. It's about technology moving forward. It's like people saying they prefer touching all the buttons to dial a number while my SG3 is doing it through a swipe. BOOM!
    Suzuki GSXR 600 Build/Mod Thread:

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Coltello View Post
    Haha...Reading this is awesome. Here's all you need to know. Can you shift as fast as my DSG? Nope. Get it. It's not about connecting to the car or being a purist. Veryon = Dual clutch. GTR = Dual clutch auto. Porsche 911 Turbo, 997 Carerra (s), Boxster, Cayman, Panamera. Mercedes SLS AMG. Ferrari 458 Italia, California. BMW M3, Z4. Audi A3, A4, S4, TT. It's about technology moving forward. It's like people saying they prefer touching all the buttons to dial a number while my SG3 is doing it through a swipe. BOOM!
    What he said...

Quote Originally Posted by Coltello View Post
    All this is very true. But maybe I like touching my buttons to dial! I mean yes its faster, DSG is able to shift faster then any human possible, but I personally loose something when driving auto. I love controlling every bit of the car. (And down shifting when I want to) Not punching the gas to make it downshift for speed.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Jsilva970 Hidden Content
    PS your signature is huge :P
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by csmith1957 Hidden Content
    Trick question. There is no reliable hp on a stock VW turbo.
    Hidden Content
    Mk4 1.8 Turbo, APR Stage2, Ultimo Coilovers, Forge Splitter, RaceLand 3in Downpipe, 3in Magnaflow HighFlow Catt, Resonator Delete, Magnaflow Muffler, CAI, Silicon Inlet PipeHidden Content

I have a DSG and I'm not going to defend my choice by bragging about the fast and smooth shifts. You'll feel regret and you'll feel it often. DSG is awesome at the track and launch control is fun, but that's not how you're going to drive it on a daily basis. I actually enjoy the DSG pop (fart), especially with my tbe and that's what will stop me from getting a DSG flash. It's a con on some people's list, but it's the number one pro on mine. Bottom line, DSG is convenient and sounds really cool when it shifts, but it's expensive to maintain, has quirks and doesn't give the same satisfaction as driving a manual.

When i spoke of lack of upgradability, let me clarify:

DSG upgrades: DSG tune, LSD, Clutchpacks if you're willing to go that far.

6SP upgrades: Single/Twin plate clutches, adjustable short throws, LSD, and even shift knob.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by MiniCoopKiller Hidden Content
    FF is our resident wheel whore so he knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Crozarius View Post
    The moment I hit traffic I remember why I got the DSG. It's great.

Plus, my fiancee is able to drive it if she needs to. You know, incase I'm doing something stupid and I need a quick drive to the hospital or something(though bleeding all over the car doesn't sound good. Maybe I'd just risk it and wait for someone to show up :P)
    WTF you doing in your spare time that this is a considered possibility?

Truly
    PS your signature is huge :P
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by csmith1957 Hidden Content
    Trick question. There is no reliable hp on a stock VW turbo.
    Hidden Content
    Mk4 1.8 Turbo, APR Stage2, Ultimo Coilovers, Forge Splitter, RaceLand 3in Downpipe, 3in Magnaflow HighFlow Catt, Resonator Delete, Magnaflow Muffler, CAI, Silicon Inlet PipeHidden Content

I like to cook, but can be stupid sometimes when I do, and Shun knives are sharp as f$%&.
    2011 Candy White DSG MK6
    Unitronic Stage 1+||Injen Intake||Rear De-badge||Red Footwell Lights
    BFI Stage 1 Motor Mounts||Euro Cup Holder||GFB DV+

Hidden Content

I agree it comes down to whether or not you have to have a manual, or a trick auto clutch manual. For me, I've driven manuals since 1976, yes 1976. I've done that. Now it was time for me to have a new toy having new ways to play with it. I know, there's lots you can do with "have a new toy having new ways to play with it." But you may all haven't had as many years doing the manual thing as I have. Yes, I'm 50 and we started driving young in Mississippi in those days.

See, old man says duh...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vtsYd78DA38?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

F'r cut it before I could say 13.0 all day.

Dubber In Training

So my girl says it's okay if I get a 6spd because I too her out in my Z today and she actually wasn't doing too bad learning how to drive stick! So now it's just a matter or price, mileage and to sunroof or not to sunroof...

Anyone have any input on the sunroof?? Must have or not worth it? I haven't missed it in my Z much but now that I'm looking at a car that has it as a option, I'm thinking I should definitely hold out for one... Plus, I live in Florida.

So my girl says it's okay if I get a 6spd because I too her out in my Z today and she actually wasn't doing too bad learning how to drive stick! So now it's just a matter or price, mileage and to sunroof or not to sunroof...

Anyone have any input on the sunroof?? Must have or not worth it? I haven't missed it in my Z much but now that I'm looking at a car that has it as a option, I'm thinking I should definitely hold out for one... Plus, I live in Florida.

Hey, see! Glad she came around. She'll love a manual once she gets used to it. Where in Florida are you? I have a sunroof, and I honestly very rarely use it. I like to let the light in when it's not too hot out, but I hardly ever actually open it.

I had a sunroof in my last car and i rarely used it, but it was nice just to have the light come through it. Now my GTI does not have one and I can honestly say that I don't miss it. They do look pretty cool though when they're tilted up lol. If it was me I wouldn't say no to an otherwise good deal just because it didn't have a sunroof.
    2009 BMP GTI 4DR w/ DSG and Leather
    Neuspeed P-flo | Smoked Sidemarkers | Podi Boost Gauge | Dash Tray | R-Line Lower Grilles | Yellow Fogs | H&R Sport Cup Kit | 3" 42DD Turboback | VAG-COM Tweaks | Unitronic Stage 2 | MBR TSW Nurburgrings | Michelin PSS
    Waiting patiently for UNI or GIAC to release FrankenTurbo software...

Hidden Content

Sunroof all the way! I use mine all the time. Especially on the highway when I don't want my windows down.

I really enjoy my DSG in the R. Even more so with the DSG tune. 3700 RPM launch control is so much fun!
    DSG
    └┼┼┤>
    Your Three Pedals...

I use my sunroof pretty much daily and I live in a place that ranges from 30 degree winters to 120+ degree summers haha

My sunroof even uses itself, but that's another story :/
    Hidden Content
    Drummer for Hidden Content
    (Sulfur EP now available on Hidden Content and Hidden Content )
    OSS!

I've pulled on sick STIs with my dsg, shift times matter when you're evenly matched
    APR K04, raceland coilovers, neuspeed intake, custom exhaust, other random pretty making mods
    1988 Audi 90 Quattro baybeh!!
    delete you account, sell you car, buy a honda.
    Don't be alarmed, shaun is always getting moist or having an erection.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by sangheili Hidden Content
    Also is that valve thing for real or are u guys just messin with me
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by cbursten Hidden Content
    I like your style, Shaun.

Dubber In Training

I'm in the Orlando area... I probably would use the sunroof daily but I've driven the last 125k without one and don't remember how much I miss it anymore but on every test drive, it's the first thing I open!

The search continues... I just passed up a great deal on a UG DSG '07 with leather & 92k for $9,500 because I'm not sure if I love or hate UG... I hate them stock but love them with a nice drop, color matched lower panels and rims...

DSG...? No regrets here... but my next GTI (newer or older) will have a standard trans. I'll be keeping this one though. As for the sunroof, I love'm, even here in Michigan. If you have it tilted open, widows up, and your a/c system off, fan set to zero, the cabin pressure draws a perfect amount of air thru the vents.
    And its one more way you can exit your ride like a balla!

2011 MKVI TR 2-door ~
    ~ Unitronic Stage 2 ~ R8 coil packs ~ Unitronic intake ~ GFB DV+ ~ Nuespeed intercooler ~ Nuespeed throttle body pipe ~ Nuespeed turbo discharge pipe ~
    ~ SPM custom TBE ~ Unibrace XB ~ P3Cars VIDI ~ HPA SHS Coilovers ~ H & R rear sway ~ VMR 701's ~ BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2 ~

Hidden Content <-- Click
    Hidden Content <-- Click

"And its one more way you can exit your ride "

After driving a stick for 40 years, I regret having gotten the DSG. In normal mode, it turns my 2016 GTI into a Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla. I use the shift paddles constantly to correct what the DSG is doing in either mode. I'm getting older, and it made sense to get an automatic, but not with a performance car like the GTI.

Own a 2008 Gti Love My Dsg Uni Stage 2 Tune

i drove my friends dsg. its cool but at the end of the day i rather be driving my 09 gti with 6 speed manual transmission. and whats even better when you flash it, it even gets better pushing 240 hp 280 tq. this thing has some serious power now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the market for a GTI and the ones I'm looking at are in the 70k+ mileage area and I have to seriously consider a DSG model because my girl might occasionally need my car and can not drive stick. I put about 25k *mostly* highway miles on my car per year.

I have test driven three DSG's and one 6spd and coming from a 350z 6spd, the manual GTI was a freaking dream to shift and that is where my heart really is but the DSG was fun, fast and I can see rush hour traffic being much easier.

So my question to DSG owners is, do you have any regrets?? Maintenance wise? Cost wise? Fun wise? Did the novelty of the paddles wear off? Or whatever wise??

Thanks in advance!
    Chris
    Like several of you guys, "because my girl might occasionally need my car and can not drive stick" was the deciding factor. It's actually her daily driver. It's more important to have a car that she can drive safely versus one that puts grins on my face when I occasionally borrow the car and row through the gears.

That said, the DSG transmission is a joy. Shifts very quickly. I worry that it breaks easily, too, but c'est la vie.

No one can teach their gf's how to drive a manual?

Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957 View Post
    I thought dsg service was every 40k.

You are correct...I should've looked at my spread-sheet first but I thought I remembered. I will edit the post