2012 gti vs 2013 gti
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 gti vs 2013 gti

Default 2012 gti vs 2013 gti

Hello everyone.
    My name is Sebastian, and I am in the market to buy a new GTI. So far the cars I have owned were all Honda's. It really runs in the family, as everyone has one. Anyways, my car is a 2002, which leaves a lot to be desired, that's why I am looking for a new car. After Honda's 2012 model was a disaster, I started doing some research and I came to the conclusion that my next car will definitely be a GTI.
    Now that I've babbled enough (sorry about that), here's my dilemma. The 2013 models came out. From what I've seen, there's not a lot of difference between the 2012 and 2013, besides interior and stuff. I can't find any info on the engine, so I figured this would be the place to ask about it. I would like to know if there's a new engine in it, if i should stick with the 2012 bc. of the aftermarket support and so on. Any input would be appreciated, and looking forward to being a gti owner

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2012 gti vs 2013 gti

Wait for the new GTI in 2014 if you can. More interior room, more horsepower, new platform, lighter.

DAS IST MEIN FAST

Quote Originally Posted by Coltello View Post
    Wait for the new GTI in 2014 if you can. More interior room, more horsepower, new platform, lighter.
    MQB!!!! 2014 golf 7 platform is calling my name. No word on price for the gti yet, or the R.: version.

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!
    http://s987.photobucket.com/user/the...st001.jpg.html2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

To answer your question, the '12 and '13 have the same engine.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    I wouldn't trust them to install a burrito into a paper bag.
    Instagram: @swervin_VI

Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957 View Post
    To answer your question, the '12 and '13 have the same engine.

Thank you for the quick replies guys. Unfortunately I cannot wait until 2014, as my car is a two door and it's pretty old.
    So is the 2013 a MKVI then, or is it a new generation?
    I've been looking on the forums and such, and some people deem the MKVI unreliable, although its about 2011 2010 ones.
    I just fell in love with the aesthetics of the car, as well as performance wise (especially the max torque at 1500rpms)
    S

I'm not sure what changed between '10, '11, '12, and '13 but they are all MkVI's. If you can't wait for 2014, I'd buy a used MkVI just to get a better deal than new.

DAS IST MEIN FAST

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    Thank you for the quick replies guys. Unfortunately I cannot wait until 2014, as my car is a two door and it's pretty old.
    I've been looking on the forums and such, and some people deem the MKVI unreliable, although its about 2011 2010 ones.
    I just fell in love with the aesthetics of the car, as well as performance wise (especially the max torque at 1500rpms)
    S
    2012 and 2013 are still the MKVI. The 2014 will be the MKVII version.

http://s987.photobucket.com/user/the...st001.jpg.html2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

S
    Where have you seen the mkvi deemed unreliable? I spend a considerable amount of time on forums and haven't seen that concluded anywhere. I have a 2011 with 36k miles and no major issues to date. Sometimes forums can be biased because the majority of car owners only get online to discuss their problems.

DAS IST MEIN FAST

Where have you seen the mkvi deemed unreliable? I spend a considerable amount of time on forums and haven't seen that concluded anywhere. I have a 2011 with 36k miles and no major issues to date. Sometimes forums can be biased because the majority of car owners only get online to discuss their problems.

I agree. I have seen people talk about there problems and the people that think they know what they are doing tell them whats wrong. They tell the dealer and that is not the problem. So they end up spending money for false information. I am not talking about this forum but others. People here have been around for a long time and tend not to tell you what they think could fix it unless that is a possible fix for it.

Quote Originally Posted by fastgti View Post
    I agree. I have seen people talk about there problems and the people that think they know what they are doing tell them whats wrong. They tell the dealer and that is not the problem. So they end up spending money for false information. I am not talking about this forum but others. People here have been around for a long time and tend not to tell you what they think could fix it unless that is a possible fix for it.

Yeah I mean I figured that not all of the posts that I read should be considered, I just googled if the gti is reliable and some answers were from yahoo, and another one that i can remember was from g35 driver or something like that. Anyways, I'm definitely not trying to bash, I'm just trying to get as informed as possible, because in October I finish with my accord payments, which I am a co-signer on, and I can finally buy my new car. Other people said the focus st is better but I honestly can't stand the look of it, so that option is scratched off.
    Also, I talked to a dealership close to me about getting leather seats and they said unless I get aftermarket upholstered, then I have to get the autobahn package. What do you guys think?
    Oh, and another thing, does it matter if I get the pzev one? Would that hinder the performance, or the ability to modify it in the long run?
    Again, thank you guys for the input
    Sebastian

Get the Autobahn because it also comes with the bi-xenon headlights which look a zillion times nicer than the halogen.

Get the Autobahn because it also comes with the bi-xenon headlights which look a zillion times nicer than the halogen.

Yeah the autobahn package would be ideal, but my wallet wouldn't like that. Plus I have no idea what I would get on my trade in, which is a 2002 civic lx 2 door, but I'm not expecting more than 2000.
    My ideal price for the car would be around 26

So guys, im really curious about this? Any differences between pzev and the regular engine? I'm talking in order of modifying t.

So guys, im really curious about this? Any differences between pzev and the regular engine? I'm talking in order of modifying t.
    I don't think so (engine wise). Maybe someone will chime in on this. I know the cats on the pzev have different metals inside and are a tad more restrictive. And they have more emissions controls. But do come with a 15yr./150k mile warrenty. (emission systems only) Some say they are "detuned" but I havnt personally researched that so I dunno. If your going to mod and tune it I wouldnt bother with it. Unless of course your into trees and air and stuff like that.
    MKVI GTI 2Dr TR ///
    Unitronic Stage 2 /// APR Carbonio /// SPM Custom TBE /// HPA SHS Coilovers /// VMR 701 /// BfGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 ///

MYFASTGTI.COM ver. 2.0 decals ///

Quote Originally Posted by vwrabid View Post
    I don't think so (engine wise). Maybe someone will chime in on this. I know the cats on the pzev have different metals inside and are a tad more restrictive. And they have more emissions controls. But do come with a 15yr./150k mile warrenty. (emission systems only) Some say they are "detuned" but I havnt personally researched that so I dunno. If your going to mod and tune it I wouldnt bother with it. Unless of course your into trees and air and stuff like that.
    Thanks @vwrabid.
    Yeah I want to be able to modify it and not have some extra headaches down the road, or not have certain performance parts bc of the pzev system.

+ Reply to Thread