DIY Coolant Flush DIY
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coolant Flush DIY

Dubber In Training

Default Coolant Flush DIY

A long time reading, first time contributing to the community.

This is a DIY for a coolant flush for the VW GTI MK5, something that for the life of me, I could not find anywhere else. If you're like me, you enjoying wrenching on your vehicles; especially the venerable MK5 platform. This DIY is incredibly easy with the right tools and materials available before you begin, but like you (Since you're reading this) I like to do my research before I begin and this should nudge you in the right direction. This was brought on by improper coolant being added to the system by a good intentioned loved one.

Tool list:
    1.) Jack
    2.) Jack Stands (really only need one for the passenger side, but I like the extra room)
    3.) T25 Torx for Belly pan removal
    4.) Drain Pan
    5.) Rag
    6.) Large Pliers for tension clamps
    7.) 1 Gallon White Vinegar ($2.99, optional, more later)
    8.) 3 Gallons Distilled water ($.99, Only need one unless pursuing optional portion)
    9.) 3 1.5 liter containers of appropriate G12 grade coolant (Napa, Pentofrost G12 ++, $11 per 1.5 liters)

Time: 1 hour

1.) Begin by popping the hood and unscrewing the Reserve Coolant Tank in the top left corner of the engine bay. If your car is hot, let it cool down, a face full of steam does not a good day make.

2.) Chock the rear wheels, set the parking brake, and jack the vehicle up, and place the jack stands on the appropriate points on the vehicle. Use T25 Torx to remove belly pan. I tend to leave the jack on the working side - just in case.

3.) Here's where I stray from the Bentley Manual. While the method it states does work (I tried both to be sure), the way I'm about to show you gets the same results much easier and faster. Look for "Item 12 - Connecting Piece" below, it's in front of the oil pan. Remove the pressure clamp (Red Arrow) from the connector (Yellow Arrow). Notice the plastic hose clamp highlighted by the blue arrow; there is a screw within the red arrow that plastic piece mounts to. Don't forget to reattach it or your coolant line could rattle loose going down the highway. By draining the fluid from here, the lowest point in the system, you only have to unhook this connection, and don't risk breaking the radiator quick release or having to fight to get to it. You also get an extra .1 gallons this way along with less mess.

3.) Optional portion for contaminated systems such as mine. Mix white distilled vinegar and distilled water to the ratio of 50/50 and pour into the coolant reservoir. Leave the cap open until the end.

These globs of chunky mixed coolant mud were mixed until the vinegar got to it

4.) Start the car (Safety first, take it off the jacks) and allow the coolant to reach 90*C or the fans cycle, which ever comes first, adding 50/50 mix when needed. Drain, repeat until satisfied.

At the very least, the last cycle should be ONLY water to flush out the remaining vinegar. Various flushes (four total, left to right, replacement coolant right)

5.) Mix G12 ++ coolant with water at 40/60 for -13 F 50/50 for -31 F and 60/40 for -40 F. For 06 and 07 GTI's coolant capacity is 7.8 Liters/ 8 Quarts; for 08 and 09 GTI's coolant capacity is 8 Liters / 8.4 quarts. Add to reservoir with engine running until coolant mix is between min and max lines. Make a bit extra and go for a drive, stopping after the first 1/4 mile or so and adding coolant when needed. DO NOT OVERFILL. It's better to start out at the min and add when you get home that to fill it to the top and crack the reservoir.

6.) Enjoy. Check again in a week and add if needed. You could buy every item mentioned and have enough left over for a tank of gas with the money you saved.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Coolant Flush DIY

Thanks for the DIY!
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

Very nice, thanks!
    RUDE JR
    United Grey MkV GTI
    ~Subject16~

Dubber In Training

FYI this does NOT work for the mk6. That circulator pump does not drain the coolant in the tsi. I tried it. You have to pull the lower rad hose and even then you only get about 1 gal. I drained and refilled, started, let it run until the fans cycled, and repeated 4 times. The flush was mostly clear but not completely. I gave up and added 3/4 gal g13 + 1/4 gal DI water and called it. I really hope someone posts a mk6 specific DIY as I could only find this and it didn't so the job.

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR Stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, DXD Stg 2 endurance, Peloquin LSD, 93k mi

So, to make it clear for me:

1) Discnnect hose, drain fluid
    2) reconnect hose. refill with water/vinegar, run engine till 90C
    3) disconnect hose and drain again
    4) reconnect hose, fill with DI water, run engine
    5) disconnect hose and drain again
    6) reconnect hose, fill with collant/water, run engine, fill as needed

Correct?

AND

Any reason why you can't replace the tension clamp with a t/gear clamp to make it easier next time?
    Last edited by kootenaydub; 03-25-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    '08 BMP 4dr DSG - Stage 2 - powered by element 105
    Schnell - Das ganze Jahr durch
    ( (•)O==(\X/)==O(•) )

Dubber In Training

Quote Originally Posted by dadasracecar View Post
    FYI this does NOT work for the mk6.
    The DIY was specifically stated to be for a MKV GTI. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaydub View Post
    So, to make it clear for me:

1) Disconnect hose, drain fluid
    2) reconnect hose. refill with water/vinegar, run engine till 90C
    3) disconnect hose and drain again
    4) reconnect hose, fill with DI water, run engine
    5) disconnect hose and drain again
    6) reconnect hose, fill with coolant/water, run engine, fill as needed

Correct?
    AND
    Any reason why you can't replace the tension clamp with a t/gear clamp to make it easier next time?
    Yes this is the gist of the DIY. And there is no reason you cannot replace the tention clamps with a t/gear clamp, in fact I recommend it as tention clamps are a PITA most of the time and this eliminates them.
    "Volume, Velocity, Density and Color."

VDubber

Nice writeup and attention to detail. My question is, is there really that much difference of this DIY between MK5 and MK6?
    Also, I have found on my BMW the tentsion clamps were narrower then the replacement t-clamps I used. Is this the case for the VW as well?

Dubber In Training

Quote Originally Posted by albinorineo View Post
    The DIY was specifically stated to be for a MKV GTI. Move along.

Yes this is the gist of the DIY. And there is no reason you cannot replace the tention clamps with a t/gear clamp, in fact I recommend it as tention clamps are a PITA most of the time and this eliminates them.
    I provided useful information about the applicability of the ONLY coolant diy that I could find. It was not critical. It was factual. You move along douchebag.

The problem is how to effectively drain the coolant in the tsi. Reusing all of the original clamps is fine.

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR Stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, DXD Stg 2 endurance, Peloquin LSD, 95k mi

Dubber In Training

Quote Originally Posted by Gusagain View Post
    Nice write-up and attention to detail. My question is, is there really that much difference of this DIY between MK5 and MK6?
    Also, I have found on my BMW the tension clamps were narrower then the replacement t-clamps I used. Is this the case for the VW as well?
    Thanks.

Ultimately, no; but this was written using an FSI engine, the MK6 uses a TSI engine. You'll have to be the judge to its effectiveness as I don't have a TSI to compare it to.

Although I have zero experience with BMW's, the previously mentioned t/gear clamps are sold in various sizes and get smaller the more you tighten them making them very adaptable.

Quote Originally Posted by dadasracecar View Post
    I provided useful information about the applicability of the ONLY coolant diy that I could find. It was not critical. It was factual. You move along douche bag.

The problem is how to effectively drain the coolant in the tsi. Reusing all of the original clamps is fine.
    It was factual, but irrelevant. I PROVIDED the only applicable coolant DIY - for a MK5. It should have been implied it is NOT applicable for a MK6; but I digress. Take a camera with you the next time you change your coolant and make one for the MK6 if you feel so inclined. Moving along...

Yes, there is no problem reusing the original clamps when putting the hoses back on.

Dubber In Training

Irrelevant? Really? The title of your thread is "coolant flush diy" in myfastgti. Nothing about mkX anywhere until you get into reading the text. I'm not hating. I used your diy as the basis. There is literally nothing else. You did me and everyone else a service. I appreciate that. The bummer is that this does not apply to the mk6. By stating that, I've made your thread even more informative.

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR Stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, DXD Stg 2 endurance, Peloquin LSD, 95k mi

Dubber In Training

You‘re right and I apologize. I took your original comment wrong and ran with it. Thanks for your input and hopefully it can help an MK6 owner in the future.

Spaminator numero uno 07GTIMYFAST's Avatar

Great DIY, I'm wondering why the bently does not have you drain the coolant from the Aux pump. A few ideas:
    The pump must be primed (remain primed)
    The pump has a self priming/ air pocket issue (along the same lines as above)
    The pump is used to cool the turbo after hot shut down so they didn't want a delay (priming time) after you shut the car off for the first time.
    Cavitation could be a issue.

Either way seems like your way is much easier.

New Dub Cub

Hey guys, I am currently doing this DIY. I disconnected the hose you talked about but only got a little less than half a gallon out of the car. The coolant was topped off when I started.

A brief description of what i did so far.
    I removed the belly pan, unscrewed the cap to the expansion tank, took the hose off, let drain till nothing was coming out (atleast 45-60 min), put the hose back on, filled expansion tank, started car, filled with more water when needed, let idle till it hit running temp.

Don't know if I missed a step or something, any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Dubber In Training

You can try disconnecting the coolant hose coming from the heater as well. The step to drain the system should be repeated until clearsince their are so many places for coolant to get stuck.

+ Reply to Thread