Camshaft Sensor Code P0341
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camshaft Sensor Code P0341

Default Camshaft Sensor Code P0341

After bending 4 valves frm accidentally downshifting, i sent the head to a machine shop to get repaired, came back reinstalled by mechanic and im getting a code

[P0341 camshaft position sensor A/ Bank 1 CKT(circuit?) range performance]

my mechanic says everything should be lined up fine, cus he changed the tb aswell. im thinking maybe hes wrong idk tho..

i was curious where the flywheel check hole was, i heard that cud throw the code if its off a lil. Also that a dyeing battery or low voltage cud throw the code, and when i initially ****ed up my car the battery light came on.. OR is it just the the sensor is bad?

tell me what you guys think i need sum help!! CEL forlife.
    2001 GTI ---APR Stage2--- 3" Catless DP, 3" Straight pipe, Raceland Ultimo coilover kit, R32 control arms, ECS Ultimate Dogbone Mount, Forge Diverter Valve, Upgraded Alternator, Custom short-ram(sweet), Smoked side markers/repeaters,New South Indigo Boost Guage, Infinity 6022i Refrence Series Interior Speakers x4 , 10'' cerwin vega subwoofers x2 + 2200w amp AND MORE TO COME!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Camshaft Sensor Code P0341

well i changed the cam sensor and the CEL still came back...fml. is there anything other then the timing that can cause this?? anyone??
    2001 GTI ---APR Stage2--- 3" Catless DP, 3" Straight pipe, Raceland Ultimo coilover kit, R32 control arms, ECS Ultimate Dogbone Mount, Forge Diverter Valve, Upgraded Alternator, Custom short-ram(sweet), Smoked side markers/repeaters,New South Indigo Boost Guage, Infinity 6022i Refrence Series Interior Speakers x4 , 10'' cerwin vega subwoofers x2 + 2200w amp AND MORE TO COME!!

also checked battery and its fine.

how does it run? it could be off a tooth. was the cam sensor you put on verified to be good?
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

When i try to start it i have to crank it 2-4 times, it doesnt want to turn over. Once its running it seems fine, i havnt really punched it to see if i go limp or not cus i just got the new head/valves so im lettn em break in abit. I bought the sensor straight from the dealership so it should be perfect.

sounds like your timing is off man.
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Bang bang tang!!

Right, well i talked to this vw tech guy at the dealership he said hed check it out for me on the side for free, im just curious if it is off time does it cost alot to get back on track? and is my car even safe to drive? im not trying to mess anything else up?

i wouldn't drive it, or you might smash all your valves again if its jumping teeth. its a simple fix though.
    Bang bang tang!!

i dont think its jumping teeth, just not timed perfectly. would it be expensive to have them get everything back ontrack if its off? cam/timing belt? how easy exactly lol im not familiar. i know there line up spots all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
    i dont think its jumping teeth, just not timed perfectly. would it be expensive to have them get everything back ontrack if its off? cam/timing belt? how easy exactly lol im not familiar. i know there line up spots all over the place.
    well, if your shop messed up the timing it should be free. But it takes a few hours to take everything apart and align to TDC, then put the belt back on and everything else. so it's a lot of labor time. but a simple job in terms of mechanical ability. just takes a lot of time to get everything apart.
    Bang bang tang!!

right, well we will see. once monday comes the vw tech is guna check for me, where u like the tb notch up and the half moon shows down on the trans.

right, well we will see. once monday comes the vw tech is guna check for me, where u like the tb notch up and the half moon shows down on the trans.
    I dont understand what you are trying to say??
    Bang bang tang!!

woops i ment line up**, theres a way to check to see if ur timings off by lining up the notches on the tb and i think one other place and theres a peep hole on the top of the trans that if you look in u will see a line pointing at a half moon which means ur timing is fine, if the line isnt pointing exactly at the half moon ur off time.

Bang bang tang!!

im not trying to redo my timing belt, just check if im off timing so my mechanic can fix what he messed up..

im not trying to redo my timing belt, just check if im off timing so my mechanic can fix what he messed up..
    I'm just trying to show pics of it so you can check it, or do it yourself if need be.
    Bang bang tang!!

ahh ok ty ty, i payed this guy $$$ so i demand he fix it lol i refuse to lift a finger.. after he swears hes got all the timing right to me. if its off ima be like in your face!

well the vw guy bailed on me, so can anyone gimmie a breakdown on what i need to check to see if im off time? id appreciate it

well the vw guy bailed on me, so can anyone gimmie a breakdown on what i need to check to see if im off time? id appreciate it
    A watch helps me see if I'm on time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.

so i brought it to this lil place that does vw's and he said the timing was off 3-4 teeth, so he fixed that... but the CEL still reapeared. He did notice that the camshaft sensor was reading at 10 volts and its only suposed to be at 4.5 so hes saying thinking the problem is electrical and he needs to test the computer, does that sound right?

another question tho, before when my car was suposedly offtime it still had pickup and seemed to drive ok, but now that the tb has been REdone the car has no pickup whatso ever i can floor it and it will only slowly lurch down the road untill eventually im goin faster.. all this with the same CEL code on. any ideas?

MODERATORS HELPPP!!! lol im desperate

REVIEW STAFF

If the sensor isn't faulty then you could be experiencing issues with the wiring. Teh Chr!s could chime in with that
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo View Post
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

The ecu couldnt be the issue could it? there are no wires that are noticably damaged..

this **** is so frustrating, my mechanic cant seem to figure out wth is wrong.. dealership is my only option left if this guy fails.
    i wish the dealership would take payments xD

REVIEW STAFF

I think he had to replace the whole harness
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Quote Originally Posted by boostedJTi View Post
    I think he had to replace the whole harness
    Ahhh yeah, I think he did
    Bang bang tang!!

Well now the car starts first try, no obvious problems when driving, maybe just a tiny bit less throttle responce but the CEL is still on. My mechanic said he tweaked with the cam timing in the ECU, which fixed the starting problem and lack of power. i wasnt aware you could do that. But he also said that the CEL is most likely because when they resurfaced the head that depending on how much they take off, you have to add that same amount to the head gasket? and that slight difference of not putting on a thick enough gasket is whats causing the CEL, it doesnt seem right to me tho..

Idfk anymore, Do you think that this CEL will keep throwing me in limp mode? i dont have boost gauge nd i havnt driven it in a month so its hard to tell D: lol

Can u tweak with the throttle responce in the ecu at all? or maybe my fuel pumps goin out on me idk. i just hate haven my CEL on...

Well if you have head work done, I bet you the guy didn't know how to properly time the cam chain.

The timing belt should line up as such

The cam gear should be TDC, as well as the fly wheel, AT WHICH the first piston should be all the way up.

You will see both TDC marks line up with the Valve cover/ Cam Gear and the bell housing on the transmission and fly wheel.

FOR THE CAM CHAIN

When the cams are both TDC, there should be 16 pins from the TDC of the intake cam and the exhaust cam.

These pictures are from when I checked my buddies timing for the same code. HOWEVER, I got that same code when I built my engine and the cams were off 1 pin as well. SO it could be either or. All it says is the crank and the cam are not in proper correlation. Yours seems to be the cams though.

Here you see the Fly wheel and the bell housing lining up at TDC

HOWEVER, HERE, You can see the cam gear is not lined up with the VC. it is off 1 tooth

This is how to check cam timing.

16 pins should fall pretty close to the TDC on each cam.

the guy said he worked at vw for 11 years, he assured me that the timing was all perfect, i am skeptical tho, maybe the flywheel one is off or somthing?? but idk he told me multiple times the timing is dead on...

REVIEW STAFF

the guy said he worked at vw for 11 years, he assured me that the timing was all perfect, i am skeptical tho, maybe the flywheel one is off or somthing?? but idk he told me multiple times the timing is dead on...
    Very easy to check it yourself. Basic tools are all you need. Frankie posted some solid info for ya on how to check
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Your issue is more than likely the cams. The code my buddy is getting for the timing belt is not P0341, his is P1340. I got that code (P0341) when I was ONE pin off at the cams and went away immediately after fixing it, I got this code when I built my engine and had my valves grinded. The cams have to come off, so timing being off doesn't surprise me. I would STILL check both though. I am almost certain yours is the timing chain for cams.

ok, so the timing chain is on the right side under the valve cover if your looking at the engine from the front of your car right? Cus i asked about that multiple times and they said its good, 16 links between the marks.

if im going to do this, and the chain is off a pin how exactly do i go about resetting it? is it difficult? im good with my hands but im not real experienced when it comes to the engine itself.

how do you get the cams tdc?

ok, so the timing chain is on the right side under the valve cover if your looking at the engine from the front of your car right? Cus i asked about that multiple times and they said its good, 16 links between the marks.

if im going to do this, and the chain is off a pin how exactly do i go about resetting it? is it difficult? im good with my hands but im not real experienced when it comes to the engine itself.
    how do you get the cams tdc?
    This is what you do to remove the valve cover.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2035487

Alright and to TDC, you use a 16mm hex socket to turn the cam gear. You will see the marks on the cam line up to the arrow on the cam holder.

To adjust the chain you will need a specific tool to depress and hold the tensioner, to give you slack on the chain to work with.

ok perfect, got the vcover no prob, so set it tdc then check the pins, it should be dead on? in the figure you linked the, a and b are the "windows", and On the Cam there is also lil arrows pointing at those windows right? hopefully those are lined up to begin with!

And so that 1st pin should be slightly to the left of that window? by how much exactly? lol for sumthn that can be thrown off by just 1 lil pin thats dumb to have to tweak it as such.

+ Reply to Thread