P2279 Intake Air System Leak
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: P2279 Intake Air System Leak

  1. #1

    Default P2279 Intake Air System Leak

    My girlfriend's 2008 VW Beetle (non-turbo) threw a check engine light. Every once in a while, it starts when cold roughly, misfiring very obviously. Shutting it off and restarting clears it up. Most of the time it starts normally.

    Anyway, it did it again this morning, and the check engine light illuminated. She shut it off, restarted it, and drove normally the rest of the day. A stop at the auto parts store revealed Code P2279 Intake Air System Leak.

    Any ideas on how to diagnose this? The car is running normally now.
    Last edited by Junkyard Dog; 12-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Dub Love MiniCoopKiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    21
    Posts
    3,120

    Default Re: P2279 Intake Air System Leak

    Might be leaky hose or something. Wish I could help more.
    2008 GTI with lots of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dman624 View Post
    Its like the girl that had chlamydia last year, hitting you up and wanting to go out. You know it was taken care of a while back, but you still don't know if your trust it

    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957 View Post
    It was all xcrazydx's hard work. He got all up in my hatch

  4. #3

    Default Re: P2279 Intake Air System Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by MiniCoopKiller View Post
    Might be leaky hose or something. Wish I could help more.
    It seems like if that was the case, then it would idle roughly all the time and not just every once in a while.

    It did this weeks ago, and threw off 5 codes, so we cleared the codes. It took weeks before it would do this again, and this time it shows only one code - P2279 Intake Air System Leak. Once we shut it off and restarted, it ran fine. The check engine light even turned off.

  5. #4
    Dub Love MiniCoopKiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    21
    Posts
    3,120

    Default

    That is a good point. Let's wait for some others to chime in here and see what they have to say about the topic.
    2008 GTI with lots of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dman624 View Post
    Its like the girl that had chlamydia last year, hitting you up and wanting to go out. You know it was taken care of a while back, but you still don't know if your trust it

    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957 View Post
    It was all xcrazydx's hard work. He got all up in my hatch

  6. #5
    Use Google Search!!!! xcrazydx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    8 1 4
    Posts
    8,201

    Default Re: P2279 Intake Air System Leak

    can you unscrew the oil cap while its running? Do you hear air hissing?

    I would guess ripped diaphragm in the pcv
    Last edited by xcrazydx; 12-06-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

  7. #6

    Default Re: P2279 Intake Air System Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    can you unscrew the oil cap while its running? Do you hear air hissing?

    I would guess ripped diaphragm in the pcv
    I was guessing that, too, and I have heard they do not sell that part, but one must buy an entire new valve cover assembly!

    I will listen for the hissing, but I am not sure it is going to be doing it since it runs just fine most of the time.

    What is the purpose of unscrewing the oil cap while the engine is running? What does this do as a diagnostic test, and what is the theory behind it?

  8. #7
    Use Google Search!!!! xcrazydx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    8 1 4
    Posts
    8,201

    Default Re: P2279 Intake Air System Leak

    it checks to see if there is excessive crankcase pressure, like you would have if there was a plugged pcv and such. And yes, i also saw that the a whole new assembly might be needed but I dont have one myself to experiment with.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

  9. #8

    Default Re: P2279 Intake Air System Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    it checks to see if there is excessive crankcase pressure, like you would have if there was a plugged pcv and such. And yes, i also saw that the a whole new assembly might be needed but I dont have one myself to experiment with.
    Ok, when I remove the Oil Fill Cap, what do I look for to determine if there is excessive crankcase pressure?

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Intake system
    By ghahn in forum MKVI GTI
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 02:48 AM
  2. 2005 GTI Cold Air Intake system advice
    By ChOkEoLoKo in forum VW GTI Newbies & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 02:56 PM
  3. Missing intake system
    By mcnameem in forum VW GTI Newbies & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 03:47 PM
  5. K&N Intake System
    By imported_WaZzAp1101 in forum 2.0T FSI / TSI Engines
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 10:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts