APR ECU Chip
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: APR ECU Chip

Default APR ECU Chip

Hey guys I was thinking about chipping my car with an APR chip but my dad is kind of worried about it because volkswagen says it voids the computer warrenty in the car. Its my first car and its a brand new candy white MKVI with about 300 miles on it.

Would love your thoughts an opinions.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Ur too inexperienced for all that power

Learn how to drive and when u can make ur own decisions

Chip the car

Tapatalk This
    03 GTI 1.8T & 96 GTI 2.0 & 00 Passat Wagon 1.8T

Default Re: APR ECU Chip

Volcano has a point. It's alot to handle. We're not douches here either; We just try to look out for the fellow dubber. Put an exhaust and intake on first. It'll sound sexy as hell and still be pretty quick on it's toes. When you hit about 5,000 miles on the car, then get it chipped. I'd wait to break in the engine and transmission a bit and go through an oil change or two before any modding honestly.

Currently, IIRC, the APR tune does not void any part of the warranty. If a performance part is added it must directly break said part in order to not be covered. Too many VW owners mod their rides for VWoA to not extend the warranty to those who push them a little.

Again though, Wait til after 5,000 Miles before tuning the ECU.
    2002 VW GTi 337

Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Dubber In Training

They don't physically add a chip , they hook a computer up to your car and tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by SunZhine337 View Post
    Again though, Wait til after 5,000 Miles before tuning the ECU.
    Agreed.
    I owned my car a year before I chipped it.
    2012 Shadow Blue GTI with DSG, R8 oil cap, GIAC Stg 1, DriverGear DSG springs, Neuspeed P-flo intake, Bilstein sport shocks, H&R 26mm/22mm swaybars, Tyrolsport Subframe collar kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light View Post
    You better not say anything mean or hurtful or I'll face f*ck you with meh fist
    Modifizieren das Auto mit Zweck und Prδzision

Dubber In Training

You can have the APR tune done without much worry. Its like the previous members said, the dealership providing service would have to prove that the mod you have performed, caused any failure. So, if you installed an exhaust, intake, or different light bulbs they would have to prove any failure related to that change. The APR vendor, will have to remove your ECU and open it so that it can be placed into a program mode. The code is then installed on to the chip-set. The hardest decision you will have to make is choosing the different packages. I would recommend at least "factory" and "93octane" adjustable from the cruise control stalk. Once the ECU has been tuned by the APR code, it can be reconfigured through the data port without removal. So you can easily have other options installed or changed in the future. In the unlikly event the ECU is damaged during the tune, APR will provide a replacement, fix your ECU, or have the vendor replace your unit. You can get all this information on goapr.com.

I have the same tune you are seeking and couldn't be more pleased. You really dont need to worry about "breaking in" the engine. Yes, you dont want to rag on it from the start. But, with the metal alloys and close tolerances of todays engines, especially these VW's, you most definately dont have to wait 5000 miles. I have heard they actually run these engines in a test cell before the are brought to the assembly line.

The other members are concered with your age or "decision making" ability. The fact you are researching this in first place is a very good thing. I can understand their concern, but you could be just as irresponsible with, or with out the mod. If you feel that its a right fit for you....just do it, you wont disappointed.

W

VDubber

Your Dad is right; opening the ECU will void its warranty. If after chipping the ECU fails, someone may take responsibility, or not. Non-chipped ECUs do fail. If you have one of those, you'll likely eat the repair cost. Because VW won't warrant the repair due to the chip, and APR won't cover it, because it's not their fault.

We're senior members and have seen this question come up many times. I don't want to be a dick but try not to tug this kid in two directions.

Original Poster: If you have questions about your warranty with the APR tune, Call your dealership and ask them if EVERYTHING will still be covered if you get the tune. Get dude's name and extension and staple it to your warranty paperwork. You'll then have a lackee to fall back on if they refuse your warranty because it's chipped.

Most MkV and MkVI owners who have been chipped shortly after rolling off the lot with 0 miles are fully covered under warranty. APR has been licensed by Volkswagen of America to tune these cars within Warranty spec.

In short... just call your dealer and ask someone versed in Warranty issues.

-Sunzie
    2002 VW GTi 337

APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Jedi Dubber

Agree with above statements.

The APR tune is sweet, but your car is fast like it is.

My personal suggestion is to get an intake and if you can afford it...an exhaust. Have fun with your car for a while and sleep on this, after a few thousand miles make your choice.

As far as warranty, it was stated above, they have to prove any damage done to your car was caused by your mod to refuse service so it is possible that you mess something up and they wont cover it.

However what i havent seen anyone here tell you is that the APR chip is safe... Be nice to your car and dont burn the tires every chance you get and your car will be fine. Ive had mine chipped for 10k miles now and it still runs like a top and i know alot of members here have been chipped for 30k+ miles with no issues at all. APR also gives you the ability to turn the car back to "stock mode" making the APR chip impossible for dealers to find.

Summary... Be nice to your car and it will be nice to you, this is a big decision and make sure you can live with any consequence that comes of it.
    2010 GTI Black, 18" Detroits, Neuspeed P-Flo RED, 3" 42dd DP, APR Stg 2, Auto tech Motor mount. Saving for Wheels now

Quote Originally Posted by asims33 View Post
    Agree with above statements.

The APR tune is sweet, but your car is fast like it is.

My personal suggestion is to get an intake and if you can afford it...an exhaust. Have fun with your car for a while and sleep on this, after a few thousand miles make your choice.

As far as warranty, it was stated above, they have to prove any damage done to your car was caused by your mod to refuse service so it is possible that you mess something up and they wont cover it.

However what i havent seen anyone here tell you is that the APR chip is safe... Be nice to your car and dont burn the tires every chance you get and your car will be fine. Ive had mine chipped for 10k miles now and it still runs like a top and i know alot of members here have been chipped for 30k+ miles with no issues at all. APR also gives you the ability to turn the car back to "stock mode" making the APR chip impossible for dealers to find.

Summary... Be nice to your car and it will be nice to you, this is a big decision and make sure you can live with any consequence that comes of it.
    TROOOOOF!

I've been chipped for around 50,000 miles. Good stuff.
    2002 VW GTi 337

Dubber In Training

I hate to use another forum here, but this may be enlightening on the topic.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ility-concerns.

If I had access to a dealer that did APR tunes, I would defiantly do it through them. Then they could not say much!
    2011 GTI Autobahn
    Carbon Steal Gray

Dubber In Training

asims33: Great post, I couldn't agree with you more.

Sunzhine337: I don't think anybody is trying to be a dick, or "tug" this member in different directions. Also, I am not sure that any dealership employee or "lackee" would state that an opened ECU would still be covered under warranty. If this person was truly a lackey, its doubtful there would be an admission of telling a customer it was okay to open an ECU. There is no mention on APR's website or VW that "APR has been licensed by Volkswagen of America to tune these cars within Warranty spec." I called APR and spoke with two people regarding this topic. None of them even understood exactly what your statement was supposed to mean. They did, however, say the APR tune was engineered to fall within the metallurgical and material stress tolerances set by the manufactures to provide maximum reliability. People come to these forums to gather information and educate themselves. Clearly being a "senior member" or having a couple thousand posts doesn't make you the best source for information. You just write another stinky ass opinion for somebody laugh at or maybe gather some insight. I guess if you not trying to be a dick, don't be one.

Goose10: Read up on this stuff, if you haven't already,

http://www.goapr.com/support/chip_tuning_faqs.html
    http://www.15usc2302.com/
    http://www.magnuson-mosswarrantyact.com/

Again, I have the APR tune and have had NO problems with it.

W

thank you all for ur post I really appreciate them and will be taking all these replies into deep consideration!

Dubber In Training

Moderation here is the key when it comes to longevity. I've had my '99 TDI Beetle chipped since it had 30K miles on it. At 262,000, it's alive and well. In other words, if you DO decide to get a tune, use the power judiciously and you will have no problems. After 12,000 miles, my GTI gets Stage 1 today. Can't wait.

I have a 2011 black gti and I chipped it after exhaust and intake right around 1000 miles. It is a lot of power but I do not think it is overwhelming. This is my first car also. I might not think it a lot of power because my dad does own a 2008 jeep srt-8 with 1200 Horses... but chipping it does change the car completely, makes the car react a lot faster and the car overall is a lot smoother.
    2011 back GTI, Apr stage 2, stage 2 Carbonio, RCS turbo back exhuast, Black cherry tinted tails, 35% tinted windows, Blacked out reflectors, blacked out front and back GTI emblems.

Getting stage 1 next week, can't wait. 12,800 miles and overdue.

Just tried the 6 hour free trial today and all I can say is that it is amazinggg. It's gonna be heart breaking when my 6 hours is up. With a my APR Cold Air Intake along with this, its nothing but adrenaline. Coughing up $500 is pretty hard but may be worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by SoBayGTI View Post
    Just tried the 6 hour free trial today and all I can say is that it is amazinggg. It's gonna be heart breaking when my 6 hours is up. With a my APR Cold Air Intake along with this, its nothing but adrenaline. Coughing up $500 is pretty hard but may be worth it...
    5 hundred? Uts on sale, take ur yamica off and get a full chip
    APR K04, raceland coilovers, neuspeed intake, custom exhaust, other random pretty making mods
    1988 Audi 90 Quattro baybeh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsilva970 View Post
    delete you account, sell you car, buy a honda.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    Don't be alarmed, shaun is always getting moist or having an erection.
    Quote Originally Posted by sangheili View Post
    Also is that valve thing for real or are u guys just messin with me
    Quote Originally Posted by cbursten View Post
    I like your style, Shaun.

If you decide to tune it get to know the car first. These tuners throw sales all the time this will give you time to research, ask questions and get ideas on what you really want. Work your way to your goal, if you know you want an intake and exhaust then do that first because when your ready for a tune you can just right into stage 2. I had the car for about 2 months before I tuned it then 3 months later I had it tuned to stage 2. I use APR stuff and I love it there are other ones out there.. Take your time and do your research first its completely worth it in the long run. When your ready to tune just wait for them to go on sale. you can get a fully loaded APR tune (4 Programs) for 600 bucks when they run the sale.
    2007 Candy White MKV GTI w/DSG
    APR Stage 2 Tune Fully loaded ECU / 15% tint / Eurosport 3" down pipe / GHL Quad tip exhaust / VF Engineering CAI / 42DD Catch Can / Rear wiper delete / Rev. "D" DV / V-Maxx Coilovers / Avant Grande M310 staggered 18x8's front 18x9's rear matte black

+ Reply to Thread