CEL P0299 (Underboost)
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CEL P0299 (Underboost)

New Dub Cub

Default CEL P0299 (Underboost)

My MkV Hisses constantly under throttle with no release sound. Also lost power. I cannot find any obvious leaks.

Originally, I was Registering the CEL for MAF and P0299 (Underboost). I've replaced the MAF sensor, relieving me of the first CEL. I was hoping a DV swap would help as stated above. Upgraded to the newer rev OEM DV, but, I'm still having the same issue. I AM glad that I replaced it though because the stock unit was completely shot!

And suggestions

...PS, really liked the timeliness and support of ECS, where I purchased the DV

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: CEL P0299 (Underboost)

What mods? You out of warranty?

Most commonly it's a DV or a small boost leak, but could be these as well.
    Explanation:
    Faulty wastegate bypass regulator valve
    Probable cause:
    1. Mechanical damage at turbo
    2. Faulty charge Air pressure sensor
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

This doesnt sound too healthy. Hopefully its just some sensor though cause if not... our wastegates are internal and are a PITA to get to.

τΏτ™

The "hissing under throttle" doesnt sound good. I would hit the dealer first if its under warranty. If not, look again for a boost leak and make sure that DV is nice and tight in there (and installed properly of course).
    2009 GTI 2.0T Black Magic
    Waterfest 16 Survivor
    35% Tint - Neuspeed P-Flo Intake(Red) - NewSouth Indigo TurboPod - Neuspeed Torque Mount Insert - 42DD 3" Turbo Back - H&R Premium Coils - ESE color matched side markers - Unitronic Stage 2 - Badgeless grill - Custom license plate mount - Charleston Rims (485/1200) - Forge Front Mount Intercooler (Twintercooler) - SouthBend Stage2 Clutch - H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar - To be continued...

what a coincidence... i just got the p0299 code myself. took it to the dealer and he said it could just be a sensor that sporadically registers a fault... i'm tending not to believe that, but we'll see. he also mentioned that he has replaced a sensor on the turbo itself and that is occasionally a problem that he has to work with... if it comes back up, guess it's time to have the turbo looked at, and maybe replace the dv while they're in there...
    -'06 UG GTI FSI-Neuspeed P Flow Intake, Neuspeed Short Shifter, Techtonics Cat Back, Alpine Speakers and Amps, custom crossovers, 10" Type R, Custom Center Channel Speaker, Pioneer AVH-3200DVD, Dynamat, Red Interior and LED Lights, Blacked Side Markers, Yellow Fogs. Soon to Have: 35% Tint

Quote Originally Posted by nas179 View Post
    what a coincidence... i just got the p0299 code myself. took it to the dealer and he said it could just be a sensor that sporadically registers a fault... i'm tending not to believe that, but we'll see. he also mentioned that he has replaced a sensor on the turbo itself and that is occasionally a problem that he has to work with... if it comes back up, guess it's time to have the turbo looked at, and maybe replace the dv while they're in there...
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Bang bang tang!!

Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    exactly... he didn't have the time to get into anything today, so i'm probably gonna schedule a time where i can just drop off and come back... too much stuff that needs to be done to either attempt or wait around for..
    -'06 UG GTI FSI-Neuspeed P Flow Intake, Neuspeed Short Shifter, Techtonics Cat Back, Alpine Speakers and Amps, custom crossovers, 10" Type R, Custom Center Channel Speaker, Pioneer AVH-3200DVD, Dynamat, Red Interior and LED Lights, Blacked Side Markers, Yellow Fogs. Soon to Have: 35% Tint

I'm getting this same code; however, I only get it when stage 1. I try to get it to come up with stock tune but I haven't had it come up. Anyway to figure out exactly why this is coming up? If it's "underboosting," is it regularly underboosting or is that faulty sensor just throwing things out there that it should be?
    GET SOME!!!

Bump
    GET SOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
    I'm getting this same code; however, I only get it when stage 1. I try to get it to come up with stock tune but I haven't had it come up. Anyway to figure out exactly why this is coming up? If it's "underboosting," is it regularly underboosting or is that faulty sensor just throwing things out there that it should be?
    You kinda need to run a log, or scan and clear and see how often the code comes back. You have a vagcom? How much is the sensor?
    Bang bang tang!!

You kinda need to run a log, or scan and clear and see how often the code comes back. You have a vagcom? How much is the sensor?
    No vag unfortunately. Not sure on that sensor. My CEL only comes on randomly when I'm running the car really hard, otherwise is never comes on.
    GET SOME!!!

i can give everyone a more accurate diagnosis after tomorrow hopefully... just took mine to the dealership to have the cel checked out finally... from what i could tell, my turbo was basically not pulling any extra power at any rpm when the problem started... the service manager agreed that it was probably the sensor... he also said he would check for boos leaks just to make sure, but he has had to replace teh sensor in a few of them before. hopefully i'll find out what exactly it was and the cost... once i do i'll be sure to post

That'll be nice to hear. I've been meaning to do a boost leak test on mine--I'm just too lazy. I'm reluctant to bring mine into the shop because I'm chipped and I can't get the CEL to come on when on stock tune.
    GET SOME!!!

Question Re: CEL P0299 (Underboost)

Sorry to high jack, but I'm also getting the same code.

Took it to the dealer today (drove there and wasn't in limp mode, but CEL was on).

They did this:
    self test on turbo systenm - no faults
    pressure tested boost system - no leaks
    checked DV (upgrade D version, intalled 3 mo ago) - no issues
    no vacuum leaks

So, they clear the code and sent me on my way. They said the codes were due to my DP and fmic, which I'bvew run for about 4 weeks, first 2 I had no issues.

So, about 150km from the dealership I lose all boost and MIL is back on.

Seems ot be intermitent.

Figure it's the charge air pressure sensor, or the N75? - I work with sensors all the time at work and they can be tempermental, when in doubt change it out.

Any one know the part numbe, or where it is in the engine? on the ic? The dealership kind of hinted that my aftermarket parts won't let them cover it under warranty (bs but too tired to argue with VW Canada again)... so I'll have to change it myself. I hope this is the issue. I know the N75 part number.
    Last edited by kootenaydub; 06-03-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    '08 BMP 4dr DSG - Stage 2 - powered by element 105
    Schnell - Das ganze Jahr durch
    ( (•)O==(\X/)==O(•) )

so apparently (i don't have my car back, they had to order wheel bearings for both rear wheels... yeah, that was an awful pitch of sound to try to suffer through) but they said that there was a hose loose or disconnected... i don't have a clue what they're talking about because i haven't been back since, but they said that i would have to drive it a bit, pay attention to the performance, and see if the light comes back on... if it was just a hose that slipped off somehow, sweet... i'm just doubting that it would be that simple... anyway...

as for where the sensor is, the shop manager showed me a turbo he had laying around that he ordered for some kid to part out... he pointed to a sensor on teh turbo itself and said his guess was that sensor on the top of the turbo went... i really was half awake and not paying much attention, but if i remember correctly, he said he had replaced that one on a few different cars so... maybe that's the one? i know that other people have replaced them, so i would take their word over my half awake word any day... especially since i didn't do any of this service trip on my own!

I agree with the intermittent thing. Today I was not throwing a code, because I changed the file to stock tune I think, but my boost is doing some odd thing as it's kind of going up and down while WOT.
    GET SOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
    I agree with the intermittent thing. Today I was not throwing a code, because I changed the file to stock tune I think, but my boost is doing some odd thing as it's kind of going up and down while WOT.
    Ditto,

I rest the codes, drove fine this morning. Then this evening no MIL, but no boost and lots of surging power, had to keep it in manual otherwise it would bog down.

I'm going to focus on changing the N75 and see if that helps.
    ( (•)O==(\X/)==O(•) )

so the "hose" that the dealership "reconnected" didn't do anything for me... usually these guys are great, so i won't knock them too much, but i knew something else was up... gonna take it to a dealer that's a bit closer and see if they will cover it under warranty...

so the "hose" that the dealership "reconnected" didn't do anything for me... usually these guys are great, so i won't knock them too much, but i knew something else was up... gonna take it to a dealer that's a bit closer and see if they will cover it under warranty...
    Any updates?
    ( (•)O==(\X/)==O(•) )

have any of you all had the crankcase vent valve replaced?
    2010 CW 4-dr GTI
    2003 BMP 20th AE. *RIP*

VW Certified Technician.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinadamsvw View Post
    idont think the pcv causes underboost, at least it didnt for mine
    APR K04, raceland coilovers, neuspeed intake, custom exhaust, other random pretty making mods
    1988 Audi 90 Quattro baybeh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsilva970 View Post
    delete you account, sell you car, buy a honda.
    Don't be alarmed, shaun is always getting moist or having an erection.
    Quote Originally Posted by sangheili View Post
    Also is that valve thing for real or are u guys just messin with me
    Quote Originally Posted by cbursten View Post
    I like your style, Shaun.

DAS IST MEIN FAST

also check the n249........
    http://s987.photobucket.com/user/the...st001.jpg.html2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

Doesn't the n249 come in when overboosting? I'm not completely familiar with it. I guess that would make sense if it were faulty and activating, causing it to bleed the boost out.

If the DV was torn, I wouldn't even be creating normal boost under stock tune correct? Because I still can't get this CEL to come on when on stock tune, only stage 1. Unfortunately, I do not have a VAG nor do I know of one around town so I can log it.
    GET SOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaydub View Post
    Any updates?
    not yet, have to see if the dealer near me (instead of my hometown that's about 65 miles away) will take a look or fix it under warranty still...

and no, nothing like that replaced

DAS IST MEIN FAST

I had it replace about 1 year ago under warrenty in germany.

USING MY PHONE BYTCHES
    http://s987.photobucket.com/user/the...st001.jpg.html2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

I am currently having the same issue and I'm stage 2. I have the VW Upgraded DV and when I get on it I can hear a what sounds like a constant whistle until i let off the gas. I dont get over 14 psi at stage 2 which is crazy it should be around 19psi from what I understand. Anyway I have an idea on this issue. I think that the new DV spring may not have enough tension and its getting stuck open causing a boost leak. I am currently trying to find my original DV to see if swapping it out will stop it. A friend of mine installed my boost gauge today so if there's more boost with the original then we will know that the spring is causing the dv to stay slightly open and cause a leak. I will also install my catch can to make sure the its not a PCV issue.
    2007 Candy White MKV GTI w/DSG
    APR Stage 2 Tune Fully loaded ECU / 15% tint / Eurosport 3" down pipe / GHL Quad tip exhaust / VF Engineering CAI / 42DD Catch Can / Rear wiper delete / Rev. "D" DV / V-Maxx Coilovers / Avant Grande M310 staggered 18x8's front 18x9's rear matte black

Jedi Dubber prescription_bandit's Avatar

What a coincidence indeed, my MKV just threw the P0299 CEL code on Thursday claiming "turbocharger underboost". What your dealer said MAY have some truth to it. Because although mine is throwing this code, I am not expereincing any problems with my MKV. I just did a few short pulls on the highway driving my girlfriend to work, and it seems to be running at full boost with the APR Stage 1 software. I have a feeling in my case, it may just be a faulty sensor. But I'm taking it into the dealership Tuesday just to be sure.

Good luck to everyone who has been cursed with the 4th of July Weekend p0299 code!
    Last edited by prescription_bandit; 07-03-2011 at 07:19 PM.

*2013 Candy White GTI MKVI DSG
    -Convenience package: Touch screen audio, sunroof
    -18 inch Laguna Wheels
    *Injen Stage 2 Short-Ram Intake|Unitronic Stage 1+|Wolfsburg Europlate|Eurobadged

Dubber In Training blackout2187's Avatar

i agree with everyone on here. over a year ago i was running on the highway went into an on ramp and was running the engine pretty good, CEL came on and went to autozone to get code. same exact code. before setting up appt at VW dealer i went on here an looked around at what it could be and diagnosed it myself. ended up it was torn rubber on the DV. bought an oem dv and good as new and light went away. my suggestion, take a look at your DV first then go from there. dealership was going to replace a bunch of crap and quoted me at 800 dollars to do what i did for 150 bucks and an hr of my time. good luck. ps AVOID THE DEALER IF YOU CAN!!!

Oh i know and my car is still under warranty so when I go to look and check my DV even though its revised i'm losing 5psi... I'm so pissed about it.
    APR Stage 2 Tune Fully loaded ECU / 15% tint / Eurosport 3" down pipe / GHL Quad tip exhaust / VF Engineering CAI / 42DD Catch Can / Rear wiper delete / Rev. "D" DV / V-Maxx Coilovers / Avant Grande M310 staggered 18x8's front 18x9's rear matte black

Going to install my original dv back into day after work to see if i can get that high pitched whistle to go away. I will update later on tonight.

Jedi Dubber prescription_bandit's Avatar

Ok, so I just got my MKV back from the dealer today. Somehow they found out my car was tuned ..... But my pre-owned warranty was expired anyway. But the said they could not find anything wrong with the car physically after checking the sensors and some other things, and the they attributed the CEL code to the APR software, but in regardless, the car was running great, and that the boost was above the stock boost bar, which supports my post below that the turbocharger was not underboosting and the code was just thrown for some unknown reason. So I pretty much just paid $113.65 to have them tell me my car was fine.

They cleared the code, but said it would probably come back on again. However it has not come back on yet and hopefully they're wrong and it will stay off(knock on wood). In any case, I'm going to mention it to the shop I got my car tuned at and see what they have to say about it, as I'm most likely going to have them install a boost gauge after I get my paycheck next week.
    Last edited by prescription_bandit; 07-07-2011 at 08:05 PM.

*2013 Candy White GTI MKVI DSG
    -Convenience package: Touch screen audio, sunroof
    -18 inch Laguna Wheels
    *Injen Stage 2 Short-Ram Intake|Unitronic Stage 1+|Wolfsburg Europlate|Eurobadged

i know this thread has kinda died, the response is more for the people who search for this on here, and hopefully it helps them... i just (finally) got my car checked out for the CEL, and it was the DV... kinda like i figured, i was losing a bit of power (basically when the turbo was supposed to kick in) and was hearing the air that should have been going back into the turbo escape around a torn diaphragm. probably not a huge surprise to anyone, but hopefully it helps someone down the road... unfortunately, i'm out of warranty and even with them cutting me a break on labor, it was still pretty pricey, so if you can manage to change the DV yourself... go for it

+ Reply to Thread