Codes Again
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Codes Again

Default Codes Again

Alright, so I had a couple different codes b4.
    5 Faults Found:
    16622 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too High
    P0238 - 35-00 - -
    16490 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal
    P0106 - 35-00 - -
    17705 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
    P1297 Connection turbocharger - throttle valve pressure drop
    16795 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
    P0411 - 35-00 - -
    16804 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
    P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
    Readiness: 0000 0000

Today, I put in a new MAPS and cleared my codes.
    Unfortunately, this didn't go away.
    1 Fault Found:
    P0238 - 35-00 - -

What's next then, could it be the wiring from the map sensor??

I was reallllly hoping the new sensor would fix this, I cant stand 3 psi.

Help please xD
    Hidden Content Black 02 1.8t
    Short Ram - 5k HID's - Short Shift Lever - R1 DV - Hitachi "E" - 3" DP - dogbone inserts - 120amp alternator -

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Codes Again

people, I need help here.
    Ill get a scan again this evening see if after some driving any other codes come back
    Short Ram - 5k HID's - Short Shift Lever - R1 DV - Hitachi "E" - 3" DP - dogbone inserts - 120amp alternator -

REVIEW STAFF

New map sensor a Bosch one?

Other codes are the sai pump and an 02 sensor
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD
    13 Golf - DD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Thalo Hidden Content
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by boostedJTi View Post
    New map sensor a Bosch one?

Other codes are the sai pump and an 02 sensor
    Yes, put in a bosch sensor.
    FMLLLLL

rechecked my codes and all 5 are back.

5 Faults Found:
    P0238 - 35-00 - -
    17705 - 17705/P1297/004759 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve
    P1297 - 35-00 - -
    16804 - 16804/P0420/001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
    P0420 - 35-00 - -
    P0106 - 35-00 - -
    16795 - 16795/P0411/001041 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
    P0411 - 35-00 - -

I don't think I should be worried about the SAI or the Cat bank1 right?
    What should I do with my throttle body?
    Gahhhh
    don't you guys love how many problems VW's have?

REVIEW STAFF

Are you tuned? Check for a boost leak before the throttle body.

Bosch sensor could be the wrong one...
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD
    13 Golf - DD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Thalo Hidden Content
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

map sensors changed on late 03 car

so you might have gotten the wrong senor

but check for leaks

think thats the same code i got and its from a wiring problem so it could me more serious problem
    14 S4 & 03 GTI 1.8T & 04 Golf

96 GTI 2.0 (Sold)
    00 Passat Wagon 1.8T (Sold)

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by boostedJTi View Post
    Are you tuned? Check for a boost leak before the throttle body.

Bosch sensor could be the wrong one...
    Not tuned, don't really know how to check for a boost leak.
    I'm probably best off taking it somewhere to have them check it out.
    But the sensor was the right one, checked the part numbers and did research b4 ordering the part.

Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    map sensors changed on late 03 car

so you might have gotten the wrong senor

but check for leaks

think thats the same code i got and its from a wiring problem so it could me more serious problem
    yeah post 03 have a "B" at the end of the part number. I didn't get that one.
    As far as changing the wiring. Would I want to get the plug that goes in to the sensor and then a foot or so of the wiring from it, then have to connect that wire to my wiring using inline connectors or something??

As far as leaks, I look in my Engine bay and see a million tubes and **** so I don't even know where to start as far as checking leaks. when changing the sensor I did get to check if the clamps were on tight on the pancake pipe and throttle body. but otherwise im pretty clueless =(

Still hating how slow my car is...
    It's like accelerating out of 2nd gear instead of 1st >=(

This might be completely unrelated but I just had my timing belt and water pump done recently.
    Is it possible the timing could be off? (limp mode?)
    Cause I could take it back and ask them to check it out?

As far as checking for turbo leaks, I've been checking DIY's and I now realize it's more of a listening game after putting the system under pressure than a visual examination game. So first imma try the tennis ball method:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...st-Leak-Tester

I'm not getting the helpful response I usually get on here guys...
    Get online people xP

I think that if it was timing, you would be having a few other noticable symptoms. How long ago did you have the TB done? Did all the codes start within a few days of having to done? Have you tried reseting the ecu? If the car pulls fine right after the ecu is reset then you know it may not be a leak.
    This is your Wallet..Hidden Content ....This is your Wallet on DUBS..Hidden Content !!!! Any questions..

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpdGo View Post
    I think that if it was timing, you would be having a few other noticable symptoms. How long ago did you have the TB done? Did all the codes start within a few days of having to done? Have you tried reseting the ecu? If the car pulls fine right after the ecu is reset then you know it may not be a leak.
    Well I got it done almost 2 months ago. And I have a faulty check engine light, so IDK when the codes started but I bought a cable and scanned them about a month after the job. by reseting do you mean clearing the codes? cause when I clear the codes, the "16622 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too High" doesn't go away. And if I try clearing the codes while the engine is on, it sorta sputters, and the RPMs drouple a couple notches then it goes back to normal idle.
    Originally I only had 5 psi (months ago) and im down to only 3psi.

So a leak is possible, and perhaps its gotten worse.

When I clear codes..I usually have the engine off, just the key in. Since you are slowly dropping in PSI...I suspect a leak as well. You are gonna have to do a leak test. When you do it have a spray bottle with soapy water in it on hand...while the system is pressurized spray the soapy water on the connections that you are checking, usually you will see a bubble where you are leaking at.
    This is your Wallet..Hidden Content ....This is your Wallet on DUBS..Hidden Content !!!! Any questions..

When I clear codes..I usually have the engine off, just the key in. Since you are slowly dropping in PSI...I suspect a leak as well. You are gonna have to do a leak test. When you do it have a spray bottle with soapy water in it on hand...while the system is pressurized spray the soapy water on the connections that you are checking, usually you will see a bubble where you are leaking at.
    Well I was feelin out the car omw to and from soccer today. And it was makin it up to 5psi sometimes, guess I was spiking at 5? ohhh yeah... fml
    But ill have to find time to do the soapy water trick and tennis ball trick... so ghetto

Oh and I usually clear codes with just the key in, I think thats how your supposed to do it.
    I just did it with the engine on on accident once.
    Last edited by simonwa; 04-28-2011 at 11:02 AM.

So I still haven't fixed this problem guys,

I found a euro shop locally and the guy there was legit.

He did a pressure test and fixed a couple small leaks. But i'm still only at 3-4 psi and I tried clearing my codes.
    but I'm still getting:
    P0238 - 35-00 -

So no leaks, good sensor, does that just leave wiring left?

The guy at the shop suggested getting tuned.

Have you checked your wastegate? It may be going bad, opening too soon? Just my .02. I looked at mine the other day and noticed that the acuator arm is a lil bent.

You bought your car used right? Any mods when you bought it? sounds like it's over reading your MAP signal. They may have the diode mod on the MAP sensor wires which will fvck up the read. Other than that it's kinda hard to place why it's reading too much signal on the MAP sensor which is putting you into limp mode (less than 6psi under ANY throttle).

Take a shot of your engine bay with the engine cover off and let me see what the hose setup looks like. Something may be connected wrong... possibly.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Have you checked your wastegate? It may be going bad, opening too soon? Just my .02. I looked at mine the other day and noticed that the acuator arm is a lil bent.
    I haven't checked my wastegate, I would need help even finding it xD

Quote Originally Posted by SunZhine337 View Post
    You bought your car used right? Any mods when you bought it? sounds like it's over reading your MAP signal. They may have the diode mod on the MAP sensor wires which will fvck up the read. Other than that it's kinda hard to place why it's reading too much signal on the MAP sensor which is putting you into limp mode (less than 6psi under ANY throttle).

Take a shot of your engine bay with the engine cover off and let me see what the hose setup looks like. Something may be connected wrong... possibly.
    Car was bought used, it was sold to me stock. But the car was lowered b4, could tell from the tire wear. It probably had an intake because the airbox didn't have all the bolts holding it down and was gutted. I was sorta lied to by the PO who claimed it was a stock car. after owning the car for a while I can tell it's been worked on by like philips screws in random places.

here's a picture of the bay b4 the new coilpacks and DV.
    I'll take a picture from a little farther out in the morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030063.jpg 
Views:	1703 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	4736  

Quote Originally Posted by simonwa View Post
    I haven't checked my wastegate, I would need help even finding it xD

Car was bought used, it was sold to me stock. But the car was lowered b4, could tell from the tire wear. It probably had an intake because the airbox didn't have all the bolts holding it down and was gutted. I was sorta lied to by the PO who claimed it was a stock car. after owning the car for a while I can tell it's been worked on by like philips screws in random places.

here's a picture of the bay b4 the new coilpacks and DV.
    I'll take a picture from a little farther out in the morning.

Back side looks okay. Would need to see a shot of the front of the engine. Did you try listening for vac or boost leaks while letting it run at idle? You should hear absolutely no whistling when the hood is open while it's idling. Listen around the intake manifold where most of the vac lines run. Any whistling is bad.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Back side looks okay. Would need to see a shot of the front of the engine. Did you try listening for vac or boost leaks while letting it run at idle? You should hear absolutely no whistling when the hood is open while it's idling. Listen around the intake manifold where most of the vac lines run. Any whistling is bad.
    Too dark out now for more pics, Ill try takin a vid just scanning accross it in the morning with some light. Didn't really hear any whistling, but couldn't tell if I was hearing some coming from near the dipstick tube area. Was very quiet if it was. Though the shop said that there were no leaks/ it was holding pressure

Heres a vid with a couple things I point out in it, one is where I have my boost guage T'd in off of a line that goes to my n75? PO put it there, any input on that?
    And front right, some little tubes that broke when I was changing my dipstick tube and I tube/clamped it back together.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZg1EA-Q6Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUYOlRxKOuo

Heres a vid with a couple things I point out in it, one is where I have my boost guage T'd in off of a line that goes to my n75? PO put it there, any input on that?
    And front right, some little tubes that broke when I was changing my dipstick tube and I tube/clamped it back together.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZg1EA-Q6Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUYOlRxKOuo
    Looks and sound okay. If your boost gauge reads both vacuum and boost then I guess it's okay to have tapped in back there. Is your boost gauge reading the low 5psi as well? May just be a faulty N75 valve. That would cause the problem. Anybody nearby you can swap with fast to check it out?
    Also, how many miles on your ride? Higher mileage mean dry rot hoses and there are a few under the intake manifold behind the black metal tube holder that are prone to split or pop.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content

Looks and sound okay. If your boost gauge reads both vacuum and boost then I guess it's okay to have tapped in back there. Is your boost gauge reading the low 5psi as well? May just be a faulty N75 valve. That would cause the problem. Anybody nearby you can swap with fast to check it out?
    Also, how many miles on your ride? Higher mileage mean dry rot hoses and there are a few under the intake manifold behind the black metal tube holder that are prone to split or pop.
    It's a ****ty boost guage, for one it doesn't read vacc but I don't blame the guage for that. But the needle almost seems like its catchy. ittl get up to 3-4 psi and almost get a little stuck then pop up to 5 sometimes. Ehh I needa order a pod guage kit. And I met a guy with a gli that I could prolly swap test with his n75. If thats all it is, then I can get the race version on sale for like 70 bucks right now. But yes the boost guage reads 3-4 psi and I plugged vagcom in and I think I was getting like 250-275 mbar. Car has 95k miles.

So next step is testing the N75, hopefully I can do that in the next few
    Last edited by simonwa; 05-19-2011 at 08:43 PM.

so what exactly are the issues as of right now? bank 1 is very important. It can cause you to run lean or rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank-i-e View Post
    so what exactly are the issues as of right now? bank 1 is very important. It can cause you to run lean or rich.
    Issues:
    Limp mode.
    Acceleration is really boggy, the response is shyty
    if I accelerate hard and try to shift quick it kinda jerks me forward. like the engine is slowing down the tires instead of giving immediate power.
    Then a warped rotor and blown motor mount I think.

New Dub Cub

sorry to bring up a old/dead thread but I'm having the same issues. did you find a solution?

Alright, so I had a couple different codes b4.
    5 Faults Found:
    P0238 - 35-00 - -
    P0106 - 35-00 - -
    17705 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
    P1297 Connection turbocharger - throttle valve pressure drop
    16795 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
    P0411 - 35-00 - -
    16804 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
    P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
    Readiness: 0000 0000

Today, I put in a new MAPS and cleared my codes.
    Unfortunately, this didn't go away.
    1 Fault Found:
    P0238 - 35-00 - -

What's next then, could it be the wiring from the map sensor??

I was reallllly hoping the new sensor would fix this, I cant stand 3 psi.

Help please xD