What kind of oil do you use?
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What kind of oil do you use?

Default What kind of oil do you use?

I know all the good (synthetic) oil's, but I want to know if you like any of them particularly well for VW's or there are any you don't like. I'm at 3500 miles since my last oil change, so it's getting close. I plan on using Mobil 1 if no one has any suggestions.
    2002 Reflex Silver GTi VR6-totaled
    2006 Candy White GTi - 2 door - 6 speed - 35% tint

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What kind of oil do you use?

I use Castrol Syntec for my MKV and it is OEM/VW certified for the MKV's. Castrol is pretty good. Mobil 1 is good too I hear.

Mobil 1 or Royal purple, really the only two who actually work with their own oils is what I hear. I got my GTI with a fresh oil change and they used mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank-i-e View Post
    Mobil 1 or Royal purple, really the only two who actually work with their own oils is what I hear. I got my GTI with a fresh oil change and they used mobil 1.
    What? Castrol is vw oem. Use that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

i use recycled oil. from one car to another. lol jk Castro synthetic

HE SAID SHE GOT NO NIPPLES!

Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post

I don't know, that's what this one other guy had told me when I was going to buy his GTI. lol...

EDIT: I will make sure to use Castrol from now on for sure.
    Last edited by Frank-i-e; 02-02-2011 at 07:09 PM.

I just switched to AMSOIL 25,000 mile with their 25,000 mile filters. That is one of the only truly synthetic motor oils out there. Mobil 1 and Castrol are not 100% synthetic (google it if you don't believe me). They both use non-synthetic additives. That doesn't make them a bad oil by any means, though. AMSOIL is one of the only oils that I know is actually 100% synthetic. I've heard some bad things about Royal Purple, however, I have no direct experience with it myself.

With AMSOIL I plan on doing 10K oil changes. They say you can go 15k on performance engines, but 10k is plenty for me. In Europe, on nice cars (Mercedes, BMWs, etc) they change the oil once a year, no matter how many miles are put on the car. The US market is a rip-off when it comes to oil and oil changes. We have cheaper (less quality) oil/filters and they try to force 3k oil changes on us. It's all a money making scheme.

If you use the non-high mileage performance oil (like Mobil 1/Royal Purple/Castrol), change it at least every 5k (that's the factory recommendation), make sure you use a higher quality filter. The high quality filters can go up to 7500 miles. With the cheaper filters, I wouldn't go more than 3500, though.
    Last edited by SiMuL; 02-02-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Oil can last 15k filters cant. All the nonsense about not fully synthectic is boring me.
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Bang bang tang!!

I've been running castrol syntec 5w-40, the kind that says for german cars on the label, before that used mobil 1, but could never find 5w-40 so i switched, and i aint complaining.
    ebay CAI (K&N filter), UNI stage 2, Forge 007 DV, Billy Boat 2.5" DP, 3" 42DD cat-back

'05 reflex silver GTI

Oil can last 15k filters cant. All the nonsense about not fully synthectic is boring me.
    Being bored about it or not doesn't change the facts.. If you really want to say you're using synthetic, you may as well be educated as to which brands are not using marketing ploys about it. Castrol started this whole BS when they released their first synthetic. Mobil 1 sued them because they were reporting non-synthetic additives as fully synthetic. The courts ruled in Castrol's favor, so Mobil 1 took the position of 'if you can't beat them join them' and started selling their own partially synthetic as fully.

Like I said, it doesn't matter because they're still very good oils.

Also, AMSOIL sells 25k filters, so they 'can' last longer, so long as a company designs them to. Think about the american car market for just a minute. The big names in oil are not going to sell you **** that lasts when they know they already have you coming back after 3-5k miles. Same reason they use plastic on engines instead of giving us some quality parts that will last the life of the car. It's politics and money.

Thanks for the input, I think I am gonna get castrol. It doesn't really matter if it's 100% synth, they are still better than regular oil. But it's good to know

haha, either way oem oil for me it comes with it, and my tuner recommends it
    Bang bang tang!!

yea I only went with AMSOIL cuz I'm lazy, for one, and don't like to spend too much money if I don't have to. 10k is about 6 months or less for me, so that's perfect! lol Although, I did put 20k miles on my car in 9 months after I got it. o.O

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    Being bored about it or not doesn't change the facts.. If you really want to say you're using synthetic, you may as well be educated as to which brands are not using marketing ploys about it. Castrol started this whole BS when they released their first synthetic. Mobil 1 sued them because they were reporting non-synthetic additives as fully synthetic. The courts ruled in Castrol's favor, so Mobil 1 took the position of 'if you can't beat them join them' and started selling their own partially synthetic as fully.

Like I said, it doesn't matter because they're still very good oils.

Also, AMSOIL sells 25k filters, so they 'can' last longer, so long as a company designs them to. Think about the american car market for just a minute. The big names in oil are not going to sell you **** that lasts when they know they already have you coming back after 3-5k miles. Same reason they use plastic on engines instead of giving us some quality parts that will last the life of the car. It's politics and money.
    Thanks for the info man

Bang bang tang!!

Quote Originally Posted by steinosaur View Post
    I've been running castrol syntec 5w-40, the kind that says for german cars on the label, before that used mobil 1, but could never find 5w-40 so i switched, and i aint complaining.
    where do you find it at? cus i can only find mobil 1 in 5w40

castrol edge bruh, i m liking that ****, and im starting to wonder if purple has a filter out or the cartrige style vw yet...
    APR K04, raceland coilovers, neuspeed intake, custom exhaust, other random pretty making mods
    1988 Audi 90 Quattro baybeh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsilva970 View Post
    delete you account, sell you car, buy a honda.
    Don't be alarmed, shaun is always getting moist or having an erection.
    Quote Originally Posted by sangheili View Post
    Also is that valve thing for real or are u guys just messin with me
    Quote Originally Posted by cbursten View Post
    I like your style, Shaun.

You can order it through napa. Or online through ECS I believe. Don't quote me
    On that though
    Last edited by MiniCoopKiller; 02-03-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Castrol is decent stuff. Not a bad oil just not my first choice.

Royal Purple was my go to for a long time. I ran it for about 50,000 miles, changes every 3-4K miles. It a good oil but not certified for our engines. After some research and some definate bog on my acceleration I decieded to change to Mobil 1 FULL SYNTHETIC.

Mobil 1 Full Synth is now my oil of choice. I ran it through with some seafoam to clean out my crankcase and changed it after only 1,500 miles. After fresh oil was dropped in, there was a destinctive gain in performance. Not only does Mobil 1 end up being slightly cheaper but is certified for our engine and is truely Full Synth if you get the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.
    Mobil 1 may have detergents in it that would deem it not fully synthetic but this is true with ANY OIL that claim syhnthetic. Detergents HAVE TO BE added in order to properly coat the metal the oil comes in contact with to prevent build up. Look at the ingredients on any bottle of oil.

Royal Purple now makes their own performance filter. Sold at AutoZone and Adv Auto Parts.

AMS Oil is sh*t. Do you really want to run an American Oil in your European Motor car? Mise well just remove your dub tags and throw Ford's circled problem in it's place. Good luck with the sticky valves man.
    2002 VW GTi 337

Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Sun, AMSOIL has american oil and european blends. Do your research bro! I've done a lot in regards to this. They make one specifically for VW's too. You have to special order it and the filters.

If you have factual information in regards to it being ****ty oil, please share it with us. Just relaying regurgitated info you might have read from forum posts won't be enough for me (I'm not assuming this, but I like facts). If you have real evidence, I'm all ears tho!

Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    Sun, AMSOIL has american oil and european blends. Do your research bro! I've done a lot in regards to this. They make one specifically for VW's too. You have to special order it and the filters, but it's a superior oil, period.
    I just don't feel comfortable running the oil that is palstered all across the back of big stupid hick truck windows. Not to mention the biggest sponsor for CHEVY and FORD drag teams. No thanks.

That's like saying Monster is the best energy drink on the market. All they do is throw their name around to every event under the sun to get some plublicity. It's disgusting. Propiganda BS makes me sick to my stomach. Then again, these are my opinions and I do value others. If AMS works for you then rock the f*ck outta it man. We'll just test to see who's running better after them big turbos, boi!

As for superior oil, yeah they might've been the FIRST AMERICAN MADE SYNTHETIC but beyond that it's the sam old lube in every bottle with EXTREMELY slight discrepencies between the blends.
    Get what fits your needs. I used to roll Royal Purp, now I roll Mobil 1. Just hit what fits.

Aint that the truth. ^_^
    2002 VW GTi 337

Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

There's a lot of debate on this on the net... lol, it's quite retarded if you ask me. (all the bickering and debating with the hearsay information) Like you said, we'll have to run what we like and post our findings. I'll let you know in 10k what the oil looks like and if my engine runs like crap. So far so good.

The blends are definitely different, in regards of european versus american. Using the logic of not liking them cuz they sponser redneck racing is a little misguided and that's more of an opinion based on how you feel about that particular style of racing or those type of people. Even big trucks and drag racing teams can benefit from better oil, so I would take that as a plus in favor of Amsoil. Drag car engines are some of the most destructive engines on the planet, so if they're using Amsoil, I would think that says a lot about it. They need the best oil possible because those engines don't last that long to begin with.

Anyways, long live our engines and may the best oil win! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by SunZhine337 View Post
    beyond that it's the sam old lube in every bottle with EXTREMELY slight discrepencies between the blends.
    Get what fits your needs. Just hit what fits.
    Thats what she said.

All kidding aside, if you use a Volkswagen recommended oil that they list then you are basically safe. Some dealers use different oils. It is all a personal preferance.

Run oil analysis on them. My tuner does and castrol has come out on top.
    Bang bang tang!!

My tuner said to use amsoil, and that it was proven on the track. I have been using castrol and mobile 1, but I wanna try amsoil. I love my gti, and I love being american!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruderegime View Post
    My tuner said to use amsoil, and that it was proven on the track. I have been using castrol and mobile 1, but I wanna try amsoil. I love my gti, and I love being american!
    Cool, opinions aren't as good as lab tests though.

Bang bang tang!!

My VW shop said they recommend mobil 1 but they use something in shop called lubro moly

Quote Originally Posted by LeftLaneDriver93 View Post
    My VW shop said they recommend mobil 1 but they use something in shop called lubro moly
    Gear oil

Bang bang tang!!

thanks

Dubber In Training

I have something to say about amsoil though it's not direct correlation to auto engines or even VW for that matter. For the first 6-7k miles on my Harley sportster(I bought brand new in 2005) I ran Harley oil and filters, I was in sturgis one year a couple years back and NEEDED an oil change, I ran to a amsoil shop there and ran their oil, and have ever since. I found that after switching, my valves were quicker, quieter and my engine ran cooler, and big deal for an air cool hog I'll probably run amsoil oil in my gti I am coming due for my first change since I got it 2006 BM GTI

+ Reply to Thread