WHAT TO MOD HOW TO MOD WHEN TO MOD (noobs guide to the GTI)
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT TO MOD HOW TO MOD WHEN TO MOD (noobs guide to the GTI)

Default Re: WHAT TO MOD HOW TO MOD WHEN TO MOD (noobs guide to the GTI)

Quote Originally Posted by SunZhine337 View Post
    42 Draft Design sells the Ultimate Catch Can which has a dip stick to check the gunk level. Otherwise there are ways to add clear hose to make a level sight off the drain port. Should be checked about every time you fill your gas tank.

Intakes should be a Do It Yourself project as it's super easy to do. Just a few bolts and screws.

The down-pipe and stage 2 is beneficial as most mods are. They help INCREASE engine efficiency which means your fuel burns better thus better gas mileage(under daily driving conditions and ethics). If you rail on the throttle after some modding you'll feel the power but will be burning a lot more fuel than usual. They limit it on the OEM stock tune to not allow you to burn so much at higher RPMs which limits power quite a bit.
    42DD does not have a catch can for the mkvi yet. The BSH cc has a dipstick, but I don't recommend it. These engines don't accumulate too much blow by, so they don't need to be emptied that often. Considering the BSH is such a mission to empty, I do it every 2,000 miles or so. That bottle I posted earlier is after 2,000 miles. If you have a quick drain on the can, then yeah, do it as often as you want, at every tank fill up if you think about it.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by xcrazydx Hidden Content
    I wouldn't trust them to install a burrito into a paper bag.
    Instagram: @swervin_VI

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

VDubber

Thanks for the replies.
    I wonder if one could rig up a level float sensor that would illuminate a dummy light inside the car to let you know when its time to empty the can.
    And, how would you empty the can without disconnecting the hose from the nipples and pouring it out? I mean, a drain line makes sense in that case, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooder View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I wonder if one could rig up a level float sensor that would illuminate a dummy light inside the car to let you know when its time to empty the can.
    And, how would you empty the can without disconnecting the hose from the nipples and pouring it out? I mean, a drain line makes sense in that case, right?
    Correct on the draining. Menards/ Home Depot/ Fleet Farm all carry the fittings you can mate to the drain port to make it easy to drain.

I'm sure it wouldn't be toooo difficult to make an electric float sensor with an LED on the dash for a drain-light.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Correct on the draining. Menards/ Home Depot/ Fleet Farm all carry the fittings you can mate to the drain port to make it easy to drain.

I'm sure it wouldn't be toooo difficult to make an electric float sensor with an LED on the dash for a drain-light.
    If anyone can find a drain valve to fit the bsh can, let me know!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957 View Post
    If anyone can find a drain valve to fit the bsh can, let me know!!!!!!
    What size is the drain threading? It has a plug right? Should be able to figure it out for you if I can get the size of the plug and threading.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

What size is the drain threading? It has a plug right? Should be able to figure it out for you if I can get the size of the plug and threading.
    It's 9/16 -18. And good luck finding something!!!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by volcano Hidden Content
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    It's 9/16 -18. And good luck finding something!!!
    Thank you!!!

Thank you!!!
    Seems like Needle Valves come up for the size of the drain opening. I believe butane burners have this size hosing and valves. Check out hardware store that sells parts for grills and such. Should be able to find an open/close tab style valve that will fit.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content

Seems like Needle Valves come up for the size of the drain opening. I believe butane burners have this size hosing and valves. Check out hardware store that sells parts for grills and such. Should be able to find an open/close tab style valve that will fit.
    I'm not wasting anymore time at hardware stores looking for this crap. I'm getting a 42 when it comes out selling the bsh. I'm done, but thanks for looking.

I'm not wasting anymore time at hardware stores looking for this crap. I'm getting a 42 when it comes out selling the bsh. I'm done, but thanks for looking.
    No probs. Pretty sure the 42dd can has an option for a valve fitting...

EDIT:

Bam.
    http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Catc...Kit_p_325.html
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content

Doesn't fit the bsh though.
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Bang bang tang!!

Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    Doesn't fit the bsh though.
    42DD is better anyway IMO.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content

Fo shankle my nankle
    Last edited by csmith1957; 05-28-2011 at 03:37 PM.

I know, I have one
    Bang bang tang!!

Fo shanke my nankle
    ^Gangster Pig-Latin
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content

^Gangster Pig-Latin
    Hahaha edit!! Take 2

Dubber In Training

Thanks for the help everybody. I haven't made any purchases for my car yet, it only has like 170 miles on it and I've still been thinking about what to buy. Also, after going through all 16 pages of csmith's (^ this chick who posted above me) build thread and seeing the 2 and a half minute video of her car, I think I'm gonna want a dp. It sounded pretty freaking sexy, even though I haven't heard that many loud VW engines. I was thinking a 42DD Downpipe with an APR air filter. I'm gonna hold off on the tune for a while probably until I go back up to school where I'll have a little more fiscal independence, and a little more mileage.

It sounds like catch cans aren't an immediate mod that I need to spend money on. Besides, it looks like the cheap ones aren't that great and that some companies just haven't made one for the MKVI yet, I don't really know. The other thing I'm interested in doing is the euro light swap, it looks really cool to have done, but where would I get it and does it come in a kit? Any experiences with doing it would be appreciated, it doesn't look too hard, but I could be wrong.

Again, thanks for all the information everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal792 View Post
    Thanks for the help everybody. I haven't made any purchases for my car yet, it only has like 170 miles on it and I've still been thinking about what to buy. Also, after going through all 16 pages of csmith's (^ this chick who posted above me) build thread and seeing the 2 and a half minute video of her car, I think I'm gonna want a dp. It sounded pretty freaking sexy, even though I haven't heard that many loud VW engines. I was thinking a 42DD Downpipe with an APR air filter. I'm gonna hold off on the tune for a while probably until I go back up to school where I'll have a little more fiscal independence, and a little more mileage.

It sounds like catch cans aren't an immediate mod that I need to spend money on. Besides, it looks like the cheap ones aren't that great and that some companies just haven't made one for the MKVI yet, I don't really know. The other thing I'm interested in doing is the euro light swap, it looks really cool to have done, but where would I get it and does it come in a kit? Any experiences with doing it would be appreciated, it doesn't look too hard, but I could be wrong.

Again, thanks for all the information everyone!
    Hey, thanks!! Yeah, the 42dd dp is dead sexy!! I got my euroswitch from ecs tuning. It was not hard to install, but you're gonna need to have some features activated with vagcom. The one from ecs comes with everything you need to install.

Oh, and as far as the catch can, I've said it before and I'll say it again, hold out for the 42dd. The BSH is a major hassle. I believe forge also makes one for the mkvi, but it's really expensive and I don't think it's as sexy as the 42.
    Last edited by csmith1957; 05-31-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Dubber In Training

hey there I'm new to this form and i was just wondering if you need to upgrade the fuel injectors or anything like that ( a few of my friends suggested i do that before a stage 2 for the car) also here is a pic of my gti (i think i did that right)

New Dub Cub

For Catch Cans I think its one of the first things to add to the list. They do work and its just preventative maintenance on your vehicle. Also you can make your own with a universal catch can and Hardware store supplies. Been running this set up for 1k miles and no problems whatsoever. I did it for less then 100 dollars compared to the kits for our cars that are way to overpriced.

For a newbie to the forum (and GTIs), this has been invaluable. Thank you so much for your time and effort to help guide us! I recently purchased a 2007 Fahrenheit GTI and can't wait to get some of this done. I've got my 60K mile maintenance coming up and when that's done and paid for, I'll be looking into some of this. Much appreciated. =)

Here are a few pics, I'd love if anyone had some suggestions or ideas on exterior mods to make it unique. Thanks!

Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC_0274.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	4852Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC_0278.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4853Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC_0277.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	4854

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tropf View Post
    For a newbie to the forum (and GTIs), this has been invaluable. Thank you so much for your time and effort to help guide us! I recently purchased a 2007 Fahrenheit GTI and can't wait to get some of this done. I've got my 60K mile maintenance coming up and when that's done and paid for, I'll be looking into some of this. Much appreciated. =)

Here are a few pics, I'd love if anyone had some suggestions or ideas on exterior mods to make it unique. Thanks!

Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC_0274.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	4852Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC_0278.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4853Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC_0277.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	4854
    Color match your valences OR maybe find the MkV Votex GTI valances then color match them. The Fahrenheit is a GORGEOUS bunny when all mocked up right.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content

Isn't this a mkvi thread?

Tis.
    2002 VW GTi 337
    Hidden Content

Dubber In Training

I found some different products and was hoping I could get some reviews.

Intake:

BSH Intake. It looks like its stage 1 and 2 for one price
    http://www.namotorsports.net/detail...._cd/BH10562104

Injen. Again stage 1 and 2
    http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=232663

Downpipes:

Ultimate Racing.
    http://www.ultimate-racing.com/xcart...?productid=196

All the down pipe companies offer cat converters or not. Are we allowed to run without cats?

Quote Originally Posted by rpandresen View Post
    I found some different products and was hoping I could get some reviews.

Intake:

BSH Intake. It looks like its stage 1 and 2 for one price
    http://www.namotorsports.net/detail...._cd/BH10562104

Injen. Again stage 1 and 2
    http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=232663

Downpipes:

Ultimate Racing.
    http://www.ultimate-racing.com/xcart...?productid=196

All the down pipe companies offer cat converters or not. Are we allowed to run without cats?

I have the BSH Race Intake... Its nice, perfect fit on the MKVI. You can hear the turbo a lot better w it but the intake itself is not loud.

Here you go... http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-SHIPPING*-mk6
    2014 EVO GSR
    2013 CSG GTI - Sold
    2010 CW GTI - Sold
    '84 GTI - AutoX FSP
    Hidden Content

Dubber In Training

Thank you, very helpful to a noob like me. Now I just gotta start saving up some cash.

Will these same parts work on the mkv gti? I realised after reading this that i was in the wrong section..
    Last edited by The_Unnamed_; 07-11-2011 at 03:24 AM.

New Dub Cub

Hi Everyone, newbie here.
    I recently started a lease with a 2011 GTI and am looking to do a few mods. Switched over to the German (from Japanese) so most of these brands are new to me.
    Asims33 - your thread has been incredibly helpful! Thank you everyone for the information. The product info has been valuable for my reasearching.

I do have a question - hoping someone can help me, please. This is my first time leasing a car so I am not sure [what I can get away with mod wise]. I understand technically, I am not supposed to do any mods but I would still like to

Does anyone else have a lease who has done mods?
    Based on this thread and friend recommendations, I would love to get the APR Stage 1 but I am also interested in the Carbonio Intake and possibly a downpipe. The ECU upgrade, I am not worried about. However, I realize when I bring my car in for service, they would clearly see the intake (which I would take off when my lease is done).... but does anyone know if the service dealership would say anything to me/refuse service if they see I have an aftermarket CAI (since it is a lease)?
    And what about if I get the 42dd dp too?
    This is all assuming none of these mods have caused any issues to the car, I am just in for scheduled maintenance, i.e. oil change, etc..

Lastly, I just joined this forum so am still browsing a bunch. I do apologize if these answers are in another thread that I have yet to find.

With a lease they would probably fine you sooo muchhh
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by shaun07 Hidden Content
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.
    Hidden Content

Hi everyone...first post on this forum.

to asims33, first of all amazingly useful post, in case that wasnt said again and again...

i was just wondering two things,

One is i noticed that the cold air intakes are essentially situated where the stock air box would be. My limited knowledge led me in the past to believe that cold air intakes dipped down into the engine bay to actually reach the cold air, making it unsafe for those who drive where it may rain a lot. Is this still the case or am i missing something here?

Also, i noticed the generosity of a stage 1 tune to the power and torque, and im just wondering if that much torque is still usable. thats probably a weird question, but im just asking because i have been driving bone stock in post-rain weather with traction control on and i can still slip the tires a considerable amount.

Thanks for entertaining such noob questions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chopsticks View Post
    Hi everyone...first post on this forum.

to asims33, first of all amazingly useful post, in case that wasnt said again and again...

i was just wondering two things,

One is i noticed that the cold air intakes are essentially situated where the stock air box would be. My limited knowledge led me in the past to believe that cold air intakes dipped down into the engine bay to actually reach the cold air, making it unsafe for those who drive where it may rain a lot. Is this still the case or am i missing something here?

Also, i noticed the generosity of a stage 1 tune to the power and torque, and im just wondering if that much torque is still usable. thats probably a weird question, but im just asking because i have been driving bone stock in post-rain weather with traction control on and i can still slip the tires a considerable amount.

Thanks for entertaining such noob questions!!!
    Short ram intake replaces the stock air box.

OOOHHHHH! so what makes the intake cold air is the division from the engine bay, like the carbon fiber housing type thing on the APR?

If thats the case and theyre that high up i cant imagine them being dangerous in puddles...

A cold air intake is one that is routed out of the hot engine bay and down behind the bumper around the fog grill usually.
    Bang bang tang!!

ive got a simple question.... are the 337 springs different from normal gtis?? ive been told otherwise
    Hidden Content
    HE SAID SHE GOT NO NIPPLES!

yes theyre a little lower

Absolutely amazing thread

Quote Originally Posted by hambone64 View Post
    yes theyre a little lower
    gotcha. thats
    Hidden Content
    HE SAID SHE GOT NO NIPPLES!

Im looking at getting a Full Turbo Back Exhaust and im not sure which one is better, either the one that APR makes or the one from 42DD.
    The 42DD Turbo Back is gonna end up being $1,465 which is cheaper than APR's $1,649.
    I know most people on here that have APR Exhaust not sure if anyone has the 42DD one. Just wanting to get some views on which one is better.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-M...ack_p_367.html
    http://www.goapr.com/products/apr_ex...mk6_20tsi.html

Also could i get some views on intakes as well. I like the looks of both the P-Flow and the Carbonio.
    If the Stage II intake pipe isn't necessary right off then i will go with the P-Flow. Any info helps thanks
    2010 MKVI GTI---Stock Performance, 18" Black Aristos, Lowered on coils
    -Future Plans: Neuspeed P-Flo Intake, 42DD TBE, Uni Stage 2 Tune--Possible K04 Turbo, Stage 2+ Uni Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Im looking at getting a Full Turbo Back Exhaust and im not sure which one is better, either the one that APR makes or the one from 42DD.
    The 42DD Turbo Back is gonna end up being $1,465 which is cheaper than APR's $1,649.
    I know most people on here that have APR Exhaust not sure if anyone has the 42DD one. Just wanting to get some views on which one is better.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-M...ack_p_367.html
    http://www.goapr.com/products/apr_ex...mk6_20tsi.html

Also could i get some views on intakes as well. I like the looks of both the P-Flow and the Carbonio.
    If the Stage II intake pipe isn't necessary right off then i will go with the P-Flow. Any info helps thanks
    I have the 42dd downpipe and it sounds fantastic. I will also be getting their catback soon. I wouldn't pay more for apr. There is no reason to. The only issue is that sometimes 42 takes a while to ship. I had my dp 4 days after I ordered it, so I guess it depends on the demand when you place your order. As for the intake, I have the pflow and was told it is the only intake that does not cause turbulence. The stage 2 pipe isn't necessary, but I did get one from bsh, but only because it looks and sounds better.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast