WHAT TO MOD HOW TO MOD WHEN TO MOD (noobs guide to the GTI)
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT TO MOD HOW TO MOD WHEN TO MOD (noobs guide to the GTI)

Jedi Dubber

Default WHAT TO MOD HOW TO MOD WHEN TO MOD (noobs guide to the GTI)

Ok guys, Here is my list of must have mods for the MKVI GTI

The following is a list of mod options; at the end of the post I will put my personal choices and reasons why. If you have anything to add to this list please let me know either by reply or by PM and I will add it no problem.

So I see a lot of new owners come to this and other forums and ask the same question, what can I or should I do to my GTI and how do I do it. This post will hopefully save you some time of searching!

First you have to answer a question about your car, is your car the CCTA version engine or the CBFA engine. Volkswagen made 2 versions of our engines, they both have the same power output and work the same, the only differences is that the CBFA engine has more stringent emissions standards, meaning your CBFA engine will have more censors than the CCTA. How to tell is simple, open the hood of your car, look on the left side of your engine block and you will see a white label. That label will have a 3 letter code CCT or CBF, obviously the CCT means CCTA and CBF means CBFA. Once you have that figured out we can move on.

So there are a couple of first steps to your car (if you are modding it) and you can do the first two in either order.
    1.)

Intake:: Removing the stock air box and putting in a high-flow intake will feed your starving turbo some air.:: *Note: intakes themselves do not give our cars a noticeable boost of HP but later on down the road you will need a high-flow of air for your mods so it’s a very important mod and should be put on your car either first or second(in the list of mods)!*

Your intake can be upgraded to either stage 1 intake or stage 2 intake, don’t let this overwhelm you. Stage one refers to removing the stock air box and putting in an intake in its place, stage 2 involves removing the rest of the pipe from your intake and replacing it with a high flow pipe.

Below is an example of a car with stage 1 and 2 intakes (excuse my Microsoft paint skills) The box labeled stage 1 is well… stage 1 intake (most common intake since stage 2 gives minimal gains over stage 1) The box labeled stage 2 is… You guessed it, the stage 2 pipe. And finally the 3rd box labeled MAF censor is the only stock part left from the original intake system (on this car) the MAF sensor will trip a CEL (check engine light) if not left on the car.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	k04_enginebay.jpg
Views:	10869
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	3630

The best intakes are here in a list, these are in no order and they all will yield about the same results (it’s a metal pipe with a filter on the end its nothing special)

1. APR Carbonio intake:
    Price - - 299.99 for stage one and tack on another 199.99 for the stage 2 pipe. http://www.goapr.com/products/intake...nio_20tsi.html
    Picture of this intake

Name:	carbonio_intake_mkv_tsi_017.jpg
Views:	5866
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	3629
    The APR intake is very nice, engineered well, and tested and retested. It is by far the most used intake on our cars. Aside from all the great things that comes from it, it has one terrible flaw… Price… If you buy ANYTHING from APR you may as well tack on another 50 bucks for the name.

2. Neuspeed P-Flo intake:
    CCTA Price - - 259.99 http://www.namotorsports.net/detail....cd/NS65.10.91r
    CBFA Price - - 269.99 http://www.namotorsports.net/detail....cd/NS65.10.92r
    Picture of this intake

Name:	IMAG0040.jpg
Views:	5186
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	3631
    Now it’s no secret that this is my favorite intake for the money. It’s clean, looks good, works great, sounds amazing and the best part… Its 50 bucks cheaper than the APR intake. Now the APR fans out there will say… But the APR is carbon fiber!!! And APR is teh ****! Pay no attention to this, the carbon fiber does NOTHING for your intake except make it look cool.

3. K & N Typhoon intake:
    CCTA & CBFA Price - - 452.93 http://www.namotorsports.net/detail....d/KN69-9504TTK
    Picture of this intake

Name:	69-9504TTK.jpg
Views:	2747
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	3632
    Now this intake makes me a bit sick… Almost 500 bucks for what…. It’s the same thing as the APR and Neuspeed. It’s a metal pipe with a filter stuck to the end… What about this makes it worth 500 bones? Nothing…

4. Forge Twintake:
    CCTA & CBFA Price - - 439.99 http://www.urotuning.com/shop/forge-...0t-p-2470.html
    Picture of this intake

Name:	twintake-2-550x375.jpg
Views:	6586
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	3633

And finally our Forge Twintake, a lot of people love this intake. Let’s admit, it’s pretty, it sounds the best of all of them, it’s different, and definitely a conversation piece when you lift the hood. Is it worth 450 bucks? No, its 2 filters, and custom piping, I will agree it’s worth more than the other intakes ive listed, but not worth 450 bucks by no means. It yields no more HP gains than the single filter intakes I’ve already listed. Forge claims that by pulling air from 2 different places in the engine bay you are guaranteed a steady stream of fresh cool air. This is a complete overstatement… There are no provable gains in HP due to this setup, and forge is known for being a very misleading company. All hatred aside it’s a very cool intake and if money is literally no object then you may want to buy this one just because you will be the only one at the car show with an intake like this!

Continued below
    Last edited by boostedJTi; 01-30-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    2010 GTI Black, 18" Detroits, Neuspeed P-Flo RED, 3" 42dd DP, APR Stg 2, Auto tech Motor mount. Saving for Wheels now

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Jedi Dubber

Default Re: WHAT TO MOD HOW TO MOD WHEN TO MOD (noobs guide to the GTI)

2.) ECU Upgrades::
    Ecu upgrades are the must have mod, if you do nothing else to your car you should look into an ecu upgrade. There are multiple companies that offer them and most of these companies are great companies. Bang for your buck this is the BEST mod of them all so make sure you get one of these

Ecu upgrade Stage 1: Produces instant gains of 40-60 HP and 80-95 TQ at the crank. Wheel horsepower or torque will vary depending on company, your cars health, type of dyno, ect… But the avg wheel HP and TQ increase is around 20-40 HP and 50-70 TQ to the wheels. Our cars put out about 200 Wheel HP and 210 Wheel TQ stock so you can do the math. Requirements for stage 1 are nothing, you can buy the car and drive straight to a performance shop that offers these ECU upgrades and have it done. However I do recommend you buy an intake first or at the same time, but if you are going to be difficult make sure the very next upgrade you get is an intake!

Ecu upgrade Stage 2: Produces an additional 10-25 HP and 10-20 TQ at the crank. Again wheel HP and TQ will vary but the avg is about 5-15 HP and 10-15 TQ. Again this depends on the company and your specific car and the dyno you are on! Requirements for stage 2 is an upgraded Down Pipe or (DP) and we will cover the Down Pipe later on.

Ecu upgrade Stage 3: This is the pinnacle of performance for our cars (as of right now) Stage 3 is going to push your car close to its limits. This stage requires a new turbo and will provide an additional 100 HP and around 90 TQ and common Wheel horsepower numbers are around 350 to the wheels and 355-365 tq to the wheels.

Who offers these upgrades? There are 4 big names in ECU upgrades for our cars. APR, REVO, GIAC, or UNITRONIC. All companies post around the same numbers, some are better than others. Most people use APR, they are by far the most popular upgrade and many people (including myself) swear by them. When it comes down to it they all offer “ship to us” options meaning you can take your ECU out and ship it to them, they will upgrade it and send it back, you plug it back in and go. Or the far more common way is to find a local shop who is a dealer for that company and let them do it (take your car there and its done in about an hour). All of the following websites have find a dealer option, use it and see who is closest.

Prices:

APR:: 599.99 For any stage. They do not charge for upgrades after stage 1 (if you decide to go stage 2 3 months later they do not charge you) APR offers program switching technology allowing you to adjust your ECU to specific fuel types, security modes, throttle body alignment, or even fault code erasing all from the cruise control stalk of your car. Unlike other companies who use flash loaders (small hand-held computers that you plug into the dash of your car to switch programs) APR allows you to do all of this with the touch of a button on your cruise control. You can find more info about pricing and programs here http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_up...tsi_trans.html

REVO:: 499.99 (add 199.99 if you want to be able to switch programs) I have not personally used REVO, many people like them and they seem to be much easier to find a distributer than APR. They post less HP and TQ gains than APR and all evidence (youtube videos and personal accounts) seem to point to APR being a little bit faster however if the numbers posted on their site are WHP and Wheel TQ then they are about the same as APR they didn’t specify. Again im not sure on all of this and REVO is a good company. I am also un-aware as to whether they charge to upgrade after you have already bought from them or not. http://www.revotechnik.com/

GIAC:: 550.00(add 150.00 If you want to be able to switch programs) I am not very familiar with GIAC other than people like them. They boast around the same gains as everyone else and are a bit more expensive than the others which is why I placed them 3rd. I am also un-aware as to whether they charge to upgrade after you have already bought from them or not. http://www.giacusa.com/

Unitronic:: 550.00 for stage 1 600.00 for stage 1+ (higher octane fuel) and 650.00 for stage 2. Correct me if im wrong guys (that have unitronic tunes) I don’t believe you can change programs with this upgrade. They also boast the same numbers as other companies.
    http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/main/en/index.html

3.) Down Pipe::
    The down pipe is that portion of the exhaust connecting the engine to the rear exhaust piping it is where the catalytic converter is located. The down pipe on our cars is too small to allow enough air through to relieve turbo back pressure. I know it sounds complicated but all you really need to know is that the stock downpipe causes back pressure in the turbo causing it to lag. By putting a bigger down pipe on your car you are releasing all of that trapped air and allowing the turbo to spoil freely. To upgrade to stage 2 ecu upgrade all companies require a downpipe. The companies recommend a 3” down pipe referring to the diameter of the pipe.

Who sells them? A LOT, there are a whole lot of companies who sell them. You can get them with a resonator or without, a cat (or catalytic converter) or without, you can get them ceramic coated for extra protection or choose not to. All companies have these options.

What fits your car? Well as we spoke about earlier our cars have 2 engines, the CCTA or CBFA. The downpipe is often a confusing mod for dub owners because SOME people have 3 o2 censors on the downpipe while others have 2. An o2 censor is a small wire that plugs into the pipe to monitor exhaust output and will set off a CEL(check engine light) if a leak in your exhaust is sensed. The reason some cars have 3 and others have 2 is… you guessed it, the different engines. The CBFA engine had higher emissions standards so it is the car that has 3 o2 censors. The CCTA version has 2 o2 censors. So when buying a down pipe make sure you are buying the one for your engine. Most companies only make one downpipe though. They only sell downpipes with 3 o2 censors and send a plug to plug the un-needed censor if you only need 2. So when you are buying make sure you read the entire page of the product you are buying since they will tell you which engines if fits. And when in doubt make a phone call!

Prices:

APR Price: 699.99(with cat)
    As with most other APR products this is a bit over priced. They are nice downpipes for sure and if you have the money go for it! It does fit both engines and does have a catalytic converter on it already.
    http://www.goapr.com/products/apr_ex...mk6_20tsi.html

42dd Price: 400.00 for DP only, add 85.00 if you want a catalytic converter, add 75.00 if you want a resonator, and add 140.00 if you want ceramic coating.
    This pipe also fits both engines and comes with a plug to plug the un-needed censor for the CCTA engine.
    http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-M...ipe_p_334.html

AWE Price: 799.99 (with cat)
    This pipe is extremely expensive and I would over look it if I were buying one. Its 800 dollars for the pipe with a cat on it, and doesn’t come with a plug for the un-needed censor. For the plug you would have to go to 42-Draft Designs (42dd as mentioned above) and order one from their site.
    http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/v...t-exhaust.html

Raceland Price: 179.00 (no cat)
    This is the cheapo downpipe. If you want cheap bolt on performance buy this pipe. However beware, this pipe is made of different material than the others and MAY rust after a while and begin to look bad. It also does not come with a cat and is not available with the cat. Also does NOT fit the CBFA engine. If you are a CBFA owner you will have to get your local exhaust shop to put in an o2 censor which will cost about 30 bucks extra. And since you have the CBFA odds are you live where there is inspection for your cars emissions system. Go ahead and plan on shelling out an extra 200 or so to have your exhaust shop put in a cat. Might as well buy the 42dd.
    http://www.racelandus.com/p-131-3-vw...5-mk6-20t.aspx

Now for my picks:

1. Intake - - I chose the Neuspeed P-Flow. It’s cheap, looks awesome, sounds great and does its job. Don’t waste your money on more expensive intakes, anything past this intake is just paying for the name.
    2. ECU upgrade - - I chose APR. APR is industry leader in ECU programming. They are a power house in this industry and have been at it for a long time. They set the standards for other companies and they do it all so well. They are competitively priced (for once) and never let you down. Also they don’t charge you extra to switch programs, so you don’t have to worry about your dealer finding it you can just shut it off with the touch of a button.
    3. Downpipe - - I chose 42DD. They are cheap but great. Quality is awesome, sound is great, and they have made sure the downpipe performs as needed. Why pay 200 bucks more for the same thing somewhere else? You shouldn’t.

If you need more info on anything you see here just shoot me a PM I would be happy to answer your questions. Otherwise use the search function to find specific DIY (do it yourself) threads on these topics.

Hope all this helped

Asims33
    2010 GTI Black, 18" Detroits, Neuspeed P-Flo RED, 3" 42dd DP, APR Stg 2, Auto tech Motor mount. Saving for Wheels now

REVIEW STAFF

Sticky'd.

Posts irrelevant to this will be deleted. Keeping this open for additional mods/upgrades.
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo View Post
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

Jedi Dubber

Thanks for the sticky, glad i could help

I'm doing research on buying my first VW GTI. I've read some articles on "catch cans". Are those a good choice for the 2010+ models??

42dd does make a good unit but if you live in a cold weather climate you will want to get it coated since it isn't a stainless downpipe. Eurojet is another nice DP for the money.

Also BSH makes nice intakes for the TSI. I'm buying the race version

Thanks for posting all that info
    2014 EVO GSR
    2013 CSG GTI - Sold
    2010 CW GTI - Sold
    '84 GTI - AutoX FSP
    http://cincyscca.com/autocross/

Quote Originally Posted by clutchfab View Post
    I'm doing research on buying my first VW GTI. I've read some articles on "catch cans". Are those a good choice for the 2010+ models??
    I don't think it's necessary for the TSI but people will disagree. It's a pissing match
    2014 EVO GSR
    2013 CSG GTI - Sold
    2010 CW GTI - Sold
    '84 GTI - AutoX FSP
    http://cincyscca.com/autocross/

Well done!!! A lot of good info here.
    Black 2010 MKVI, Uni Stage II+, RAI DP, Snow Performance Stage II W/M, K04 Turbo, Forge Twintake, Podi Boost Gauge, RAI 3" Turbo Back, KW V1 Coils, Smoked Side Markers, 18" BBS CH. Might be more to come.

Jedi Dubber

Catch cans really arent needed for the MK6 version. If you have money to waste and you have done everything else to your car you want.. Then sure go for it

Quote Originally Posted by asims33 View Post
    Catch cans really arent needed for the MK6 version. If you have money to waste and you have done everything else to your car you want.. Then sure go for it
    I disagree, it's not as bad as the Mkv but it still pumps out sludge.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

I love throwing away money on useless mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    I wouldn't trust them to install a burrito into a paper bag.
    Instagram: @swervin_VI

What about warranty issues? Does upgrading your ecu and putting mods on void your warranty?
    Last edited by Masonw; 02-28-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    2011 MK6 DSG w/ Sunroof

Jedi Dubber

Quote Originally Posted by Masonw View Post
    What about warranty issues? Does upgrading your ecu and putting mods on void your warranty?

In the future i will make another thread like this on the warranty issue.

The answer is no, you can NEVER void your entire warranty over a mod or mod(s). However, if you upgrade your intake and the MAF censor goes bad, they can and most likely will refuse service. What this means is if you mod a part on your car, and the mod you put on causes a malfunction, they have the right to refuse service. They cannot void your entire warranty, but they can refuse service on the part that your mod broke. So to sum it up, they can only refuse service to parts of the car that were damaged DIRECTLY BECAUSE OF THE MOD and they have to be able to prove that your mod caused it. If you need more info please PM me.

You're welcome valves!! Anytime!!

I wouldn't trust them to install a burrito into a paper bag.
    Instagram: @swervin_VI

i dont even bother with catch cans i run a hose all the way to the ashpalt no need for it to go back in and no need to spend money on expensive metal cylinders i think
    "some say he comes around easter time to give you pretty little eggs"

"others say he likes eating carrots"

"all we know is hes called the Black_Bunny"

Awesome thread I'm a newbie to VW and this HELPED out big time!

Quote Originally Posted by 7starmantis View Post
    Awesome thread I'm a newbie to VW and this HELPED out big time!
    Good, glad you read it!
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Bang bang tang!!

Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957 View Post
    You're welcome valves!! Anytime!!

lol its nasty how this is going trough your cars motor wen i emptied mine it looked soo much worse

This is a very good thread. thank you for all the info. I do want to suggest another DP option. It's the USP Motorsports downpipe. I've heard a lot of good things about it and it is very nicely priced at $369. It has many options for the engine types, cat, resonator, and also what type of exhaust you are hooking it up to, whether its an APR, stock, etc.
    http://uspmotorsports.com/product_in...roducts_id=562
    2011 United Gray DSG 4 Door
    USP Motorsports DP || JOM Blueline coilovers || Nesuspeed P-Flo intake (red) ||Pwrhaus DV Spacer
    Blacked out tail lights and VW emblems || Red and white LEDs || And probably some more small things

New guy!Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1].jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	4321

Quote Originally Posted by Beyer View Post
    Welcome man! Whats the black car under the carport?
    Bang bang tang!!

Dubber In Training chemkwangia6's Avatar

could you please explain to me what this is? am a newb

Quote Originally Posted by chemkwangia6 View Post
    could you please explain to me what this is? am a newb
    What do u need explained man?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bang bang tang!!

Welcome man! Whats the black car under the carport?
    It's a BMW 325i

Im thinking about dropping my ride a few inches (like 2-3) how should I go about doing that? I was thinking about swapping out springs. Im getting that I should put it on bags or whatever but I dont want to get expensive for a small drop.
    2010 MKVI
    Bone stock
    DSG6
    Resonator deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRico View Post
    Im thinking about dropping my ride a few inches (like 2-3) how should I go about doing that? I was thinking about swapping out springs. Im getting that I should put it on bags or whatever but I dont want to get expensive for a small drop.
    bags will cost you no less then 800...and thats used :P brand new a setup is about 1600 +

and if you swap out springs i suggest you swap struts too or else youll blow the stock ones and they will need replacing anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsilva970 View Post
    bags will cost you no less then 800...and thats used :P brand new a setup is about 1600 +

and if you swap out springs i suggest you swap struts too or else youll blow the stock ones and they will need replacing anyways
    Yeah I was afraid new was going to be around that much. About how much do springs and struts run?

I'd hate to drop it too low, driving on base is a b*tch since they decided to install massive road humps. Once again there are S2000's and 370's scraping the ground making it over those moutains.
    2010 MKVI
    Bone stock
    DSG6
    Resonator deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRico View Post
    Yeah I was afraid new was going to be around that much. About how much do springs and struts run?

I'd hate to drop it too low, driving on base is a b*tch since they decided to install massive road humps. Once again there are S2000's and 370's scraping the ground making it over those moutains.
    you can get a nice cup kit (spring strut combo) for about 400 bucks

you could also do a coilover kit which is essentially a right hieght/dampening adjustable cup kit for 300-1600 bucks depending on brand and what you want out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.

New Dub Cub

Could I go Intake and downpipe first and then do the ECU later on maybe? Sorry It is my first post and first question so my apologies in advance if i skipped any steps or anything but i am very curios. I don't know if I would like to mess with the ECU and since you said our cars are held back from lag and such then If i would do intake and downpipe i could just make the stock tune more efficient. I do love this thread and value it highly and it is the only reason i ask.

Thanks Again,

WoLF

Quote Originally Posted by DaWoLF View Post
    Could I go Intake and downpipe first and then do the ECU later on maybe? Sorry It is my first post and first question so my apologies in advance if i skipped any steps or anything but i am very curios. I don't know if I would like to mess with the ECU and since you said our cars are held back from lag and such then If i would do intake and downpipe i could just make the stock tune more efficient. I do love this thread and value it highly and it is the only reason i ask.

Thanks Again,

WoLF
    yea you can do intake and DP with out a tune but the is almost no performance gain
    03 GTI 1.8T & 96 GTI 2.0 & 00 Passat Wagon 1.8T

yea you can do intake and DP with out a tune but the is almost no performance gain
    Right on, but then he's ready to go straight to stg2 if he does wanna do a ecu reflash.

Bang bang tang!!

Dubber In Training chemkwangia6's Avatar

the brown stuff in the bottle and the whole catch can thing
    What do u need explained man?

Quote Originally Posted by chemkwangia6 View Post
    the brown stuff in the bottle and the whole catch can thing
    A catch can removes the excess oil from the crankcase that usually gets blown back into the intake as parts spin and fling oil around inside your block. In short, it helps keep the back of your intake valves clean by not caking oil fumes and "gunk" all over them, but instead collecting it in a nice little canister you can drain at a later date.
    The brown goo she was holding is the gunk that collected in her catch can over a couple weeks. Pretty nasty huh? That's why her valves glide super smooth and have another layer of protection.
    2002 VW GTi 337

Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Dubber In Training

New guy here, just bought my GTI on Friday and I was looking into some mods. This thread looks like a great place to get me started, just a couple of questions:

1) You recommend getting a new air intake and getting an ECU upgrade asap and you said it doesn't matter which order they're done in. Would it be easier for me to order an air filter online and take it to get installed when I do the ECU upgrade, or should I try to put the new air intake on my car myself and then take it in for an ECU upgrade? I don't plan on doing these upgrades immediately, since I just bought the car, but I do hope to get some stuff done this summer.

2) If I don't plan on upgrading my downpipe anytime soon, then would there be any reason for me to get a stage 2 intake? I don't feel like there would be a reason for me to get a stage 2 intake unless it'd improve my gas mileage a little more or something, and then I'd have weigh the "is it worth it" question.

I appreciate the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal792 View Post
    New guy here, just bought my GTI on Friday and I was looking into some mods. This thread looks like a great place to get me started, just a couple of questions:

1) You recommend getting a new air intake and getting an ECU upgrade asap and you said it doesn't matter which order they're done in. Would it be easier for me to order an air filter online and take it to get installed when I do the ECU upgrade, or should I try to put the new air intake on my car myself and then take it in for an ECU upgrade? I don't plan on doing these upgrades immediately, since I just bought the car, but I do hope to get some stuff done this summer.

2) If I don't plan on upgrading my downpipe anytime soon, then would there be any reason for me to get a stage 2 intake? I don't feel like there would be a reason for me to get a stage 2 intake unless it'd improve my gas mileage a little more or something, and then I'd have weigh the "is it worth it" question.

I appreciate the advice!
    I would put the intake on myself and save yourself a few bucks unless you are not up to it and the shop said they would do it for free. The stage 2 intake is not a major necessity.
    Black 2010 MKVI, Uni Stage II+, RAI DP, Snow Performance Stage II W/M, K04 Turbo, Forge Twintake, Podi Boost Gauge, RAI 3" Turbo Back, KW V1 Coils, Smoked Side Markers, 18" BBS CH. Might be more to come.

New Dub Cub

Thanks for the info!

New Dub Cub

I'm new also. This helps alot!

Im a total noob to the GTI community. thanks for this information
    2010 MKVI GTI---Stock Performance, 18" Black Aristos, Lowered on coils
    -Future Plans: Neuspeed P-Flo Intake, 42DD TBE, Uni Stage 2 Tune--Possible K04 Turbo, Stage 2+ Uni Tune

VDubber

I'm new too. Thanks for this excellent thread. I plan to buy a 2012 when they arrive this fall, and have already found an APR dealer in my area. He recommendeds at least 1500 miles on the car prior to stage 1 ECU tuning.

With regards to the catch can:
    How often do you need to check the catch can and empty it? Can you buy a clear one, or one with a sight window on it that will let you see the level of gunk?

42 Draft Design sells the Ultimate Catch Can which has a dip stick to check the gunk level. Otherwise there are ways to add clear hose to make a level sight off the drain port. Should be checked about every time you fill your gas tank.

Intakes should be a Do It Yourself project as it's super easy to do. Just a few bolts and screws.

The down-pipe and stage 2 is beneficial as most mods are. They help INCREASE engine efficiency which means your fuel burns better thus better gas mileage(under daily driving conditions and ethics). If you rail on the throttle after some modding you'll feel the power but will be burning a lot more fuel than usual. They limit it on the OEM stock tune to not allow you to burn so much at higher RPMs which limits power quite a bit.
    2002 VW GTi 337

Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast