Best Sounding Exhaust
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Sounding Exhaust

Default Best Sounding Exhaust

I know this is an opinionated subject, but I figured I would get everyones input anyways.

I am looking to get a turboback exhaust in the near future. I would like an aggressive tone, but it cannot under any circumstances sound like a "fartcan, import, ricer" thats the last thing I want. I do not want to be obnoxiously loud, just sound good. Keep in mind I live in CA so I gotta run cats.

What kind of exhausts do you all have, what do you think of them?

Which exhaust do you think sounds best?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best Sounding Exhaust

42dd sounds very good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

GHL FTW

i think they went out of business but i read somewhere they came back but im not 100% sure on that

youtube mk4 exhaust and see which you like the most

if i had to choice it would be between GHL and 42DD
    03 GTI 1.8T & 96 GTI 2.0 & 00 Passat Wagon 1.8T

GHL FTW

i think they went out of business but i read somewhere they came back but im not 100% sure on that

youtube mk4 exhaust and see which you like the most

if i had to choice it would be between GHL and 42DD
    Ya they came back, my dealer gave me the word a few months ago
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Bang bang tang!!

VDubber

I'd have to go with 42DD also. It has a nice crawl to it. There is a good clip of it on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/v/bNyGcb2ma80...</param><param http://www.youtube.com/v/bNyGcb2ma80?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"
    2003 20th AE GTI

Fujita short ram intake, Revo Stage 2, 3" 42 Draft Design Tback, JDM carbon fiber pillar bar, smoked markers, Hella smoked tail lights, Apexi turbo timer, Forge-Splitter BOV, VDO boost gauge w/New South column pod, front winshield eyebrow, Momo side mirror covers, Enkei 18"s, Megan Racing coilovers, and in the mail Autotech SportTuned rotors drilled and slotted.

Why pay the price for some name brand when it's all the same?? Go to a quality muffler shop and have them make you a custom exhaust for half the price of any of these name brands. And have the ability to say you have a custom exhaust. That's my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    Why pay the price for some name brand when it's all the same?? Go to a quality muffler shop and have them make you a custom exhaust for half the price of any of these name brands. And have the ability to say you have a custom exhaust. That's my opinion anyway.
    That has puzzled me a bit as well....I have been thinking about going the custom exhaust route, but I was wondering is there a big difference in the performance gains. I know other companies put R & D into their exhausts, but is it really worth it. A local shop here said they would do me a 3"CB including a magnaflow muffler for $400.
    This is your Wallet......This is your Wallet on DUBS..!!!! Any questions..

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpdGo View Post
    That has puzzled me a bit as well....I have been thinking about going the custom exhaust route, but I was wondering is there a big difference in the performance gains. I know other companies put R & D into their exhausts, but is it really worth it. A local shop here said they would do me a 3"CB including a magnaflow muffler for $400.
    As far as a cb not much performance is seen from those. If your gonna be concerned, worry about the dp, that's where you see the performance unleashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bang bang tang!!

Yea I agree with you.....I was gonna do like a 42dd 3" downpipe..with the custom exhaust. Think it will be similar to like a ghl or maybe 42dd's exhaust.

In my honest opinion there is no such thing as "best" and i may get trolled, but whatever...Its kind like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...Alot of guys on here are gonna say 1 thing and another may say another thing. i have a 100 dollar dp with a some straight back exhaust...yet it sounds ok....Jsilva had a custom one made. He can post a video of it. I know your asking peoples opinion and what not but you gotta go with what fits you. And SiMuL is right, its all a bunch metal.

My brother keeps telling me "Rx-7s make more heat than normal cars so they need special pipes for mufflers". I tell him blinkers need special fluids and he just gets mad.

Personally Im keeping my 100 dollar DP and getting a 42DD catback because they have reputation and well i like the way i looks. lmao!

HE SAID SHE GOT NO NIPPLES!

The exhaust (from the DP on) is just piping, so it doesn't matter what 'brand' you go with, there's really no R&D involved (that's mostly a marketing ploy used by the bigger companies). It's pipes and bends that all have to fit in the same area, so I can't see how one company does it any better than the other. So long as they're mandrel bent and made from good quality metal, an exhaust is an exhaust.

Now, perhaps using various styles of resonators/mufflers you may get slightly better flow and a different sound, which could be where the 'R&D' comes in, however, most people remove the resonators anyway.

I say get a DP that you know works well (could be from Ebay or a respected company) and then get custom piping for the rest of it. Choose the muffer/tip you want and have them weld that in place.

To each his own, though, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    The exhaust (from the DP on) is just piping, so it doesn't matter what 'brand' you go with, there's really no R&D involved (that's mostly a marketing ploy used by the bigger companies). It's pipes and bends that all have to fit in the same area, so I can't see how one company does it any better than the other. So long as they're mandrel bent and made from good quality metal, an exhaust is an exhaust.

Now, perhaps using various styles of resonators/mufflers you may get slightly better flow and a different sound, which could be where the 'R&D' comes in, however, most people remove the resonators anyway.

I say get a DP that you know works well (could be from Ebay or a respected company) and then get custom piping for the rest of it. Choose the muffer/tip you want and have them weld that in place.

To each his own, though, of course.
    I agree with you partially and am thinking about going in to an exhaust shop. My only worry is that i'm not gonna know what it sounds like before hand. I am doing the exhaust/ DP because i'm gonna go stage 2+ in the future. But, it is still important to me that the car doesn't sounds like a ricey Honda just for the sake of performance. Lets put it this way, If DP/exhaust weren't need for stage 2, I wouldn't change the stock exhaust.

could you recommend a specific brand of DP? I know that I could get an ebay one for cheap, but in my estimation they aren't the highest quality, and not sure if they have cats or not?

its not gonna sound like a honda unless you go with like a 4inch exhaust

I am partial to mine APR 3" Turbo Back but whatever Chris had on his (I believe GHL R32) was my favorite sounding that I have heard in person.

MKV '06 FSI - DSG, APR Stg 2+, APR HPFP, Eurojet FMIC, APR CAI, Upgraded OEM DV, BSH Catch Can, Euro R32 Tails, AWE Boost Gauge, Bilstein Shocks with H&R Super Sport Springs, APR RSC 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, Teh Chr!s' Engine Mount, Rotiform BLQ's w/ 225/35/19 Nitto555's ---- > 2.SLOW

Quote Originally Posted by ninohale View Post
    I am partial to mine APR 3" Turbo Back but whatever Chris had on his (I believe GHL R32) was my favorite sounding that I have heard in person.
    Wouldn't it sounds different on my 1.8T, you have a 2.0T if i'm not mistaken.

Pretty sure I want to go with a 3" because of performance benefits over 2.5"

Jeez.
    When it comes to exhaust there are a couple main companies that pop to mind right away.
    APR
    GHL
    42DD
    and the underspoken...
    EuroJet

**Edit
    Nuespeed also now produces Titanium Exhaust for the most lightweight and crazy sounding experience in the market of engine-back piping. Special order for VW of coarse.

Personally the most aggressive stern toned exhaust I've heard has been EuroJet. It sounds and looks the sleekest. As for most unique, the brand "Blue Flame" is a european company that makes more sporty toned exhuasts with the benifit of the same performance as the free flowing bs most of the listed companies employ. As for custom exhaust... As long as you get what you like and dip your pipes in ceramic coating to make them not look like welded on sh*t then it's a def plus. I would go custom if the money was right and the shop was willing to gaurantee the sound you wanted.
    Beyond that, I'm going EuroJet for their quality, rarity, and overall sound. Yum.
    Last edited by SunZhine337; 01-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    2002 VW GTi 337

Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

i like my neuspeed exhaust

What brand muffler does neuspeed use on their exhaust?

What brand muffler does neuspeed use on their exhaust?

neuspeed

i dont know

Well if I decide to go custom what brand muffler do you all recommend?

Im not really sure what they have but im assuming magnaflow,borla ETC.

i like my borla

Anyhting branded "Turbo Muffler" is going to give you a good tone. Mess around a bit with different brands. Hold each muffler up to an open pipe to get a sample of the sound. You can always return unused mufflers. ^_^
    2002 VW GTi 337

APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Im thinking about having a shop make me a custom turbo back exhaust, so when the next APR sale hits I can jump right to stage 2.

Quote Originally Posted by matthall39 View Post
    Im thinking about having a shop make me a custom turbo back exhaust, so when the next APR sale hits I can jump right to stage 2.
    Thats what I intend to do as well.

Not sure if im gonna go custom though.

Quote Originally Posted by STYkilla View Post
    Thats what I intend to do as well.

Not sure if im gonna go custom though.
    Ya im still not completely sure, I mean i might just buy a turbo back exhaust off the internet and have it installed, but idk its gonna be a month before the exhaust.

Another brand that no one has mentioned that gets crazy Kudos accross the pond is Blue Flame.

Huge in Europe, not so much here. Forge is their only distributor in the US IIRC.

MKV '06 FSI - DSG, APR Stg 2+, APR HPFP, Eurojet FMIC, APR CAI, Upgraded OEM DV, BSH Catch Can, Euro R32 Tails, AWE Boost Gauge, Bilstein Shocks with H&R Super Sport Springs, APR RSC 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, Teh Chr!s' Engine Mount, Rotiform BLQ's w/ 225/35/19 Nitto555's ---- > 2.SLOW

Quote Originally Posted by SunZhine337 View Post

As for most unique, the brand "Blue Flame" is a european company that makes more sporty toned exhuasts with the benifit of the same performance as the free flowing bs most of the listed companies employ.
    It was mentioned, i'll look into them.

i like my borla
    me too
    2002 Reflex Silver GTi VR6-totaled
    2006 Candy White GTi - 2 door - 6 speed - 35% tint

Ive never really paid attention to gti's exhausts but. I love the sound of my magnaflow r32 exhaust

Any1 have experience or know about the Tsudo and BBP exhausts from speed-element.com??
    They're really cheap...
    Black 02 1.8t
    Short Ram - 5k HID's - Short Shift Lever - R1 DV - Hitachi "E" - 3" DP - dogbone inserts - 120amp alternator -

IF you go with 42dd then i would suggest getting all of your piping with the ceramic coating because it makes a huge difference by keeping the heat of the exhaust in the pipe better. In all honesty though, the downpipe isn't very important which brand you get because it is just a piece of piping that connects your turbo to the cat back. i would buy a custom dp and then spend good money on a name brand cat back to make sure you get a good sound
    2006 mkv gti black magic 6 speed 3" 42DD DP, 15% tint all around, Neuspeed P-flo intake
    "Castles made of sand, fall into the sea, eventually." -Jimi Hendrix

GHL

The real question is 3" DP or 2.5" DP and Res or no Res.

Quote Originally Posted by golfballs View Post
    GHL

i heard its better to go 3in...dunno about the res or no res

Quote Originally Posted by golfballs View Post
    GHL

I would go with a 2.5. but i need to learn more about turbo back exhausts.

it been discussed

search, each size had their + and -

Another common question about the DP size.

Here's the lowdown:

-2.5" DP is good for getting some of the power the turbo is holding. It opens up the exhaust a little and makes a more deep sound even on the stock exhaust. Your exhaust is only as big as your smallest section. These keep most of the low end power and fee up SOME high end power.

-3" DP is probably the best choice. The stock K03 turbo is a 3.5" outlet so allowing the DP to have 3" of movable air frees up MOST of the powerband. It has a more aggressive roar even on the stock exhaust and allows for drop in upgrades of turbo's without worrying about getting a bigger DP. In regards to the efficiency of the engine, 3" would be the best choice.

I have a Megan Racing 2.5" DP with High Flow Resonator (They called it a high flow cat but it's really not). I felt the immeadiate gain but want to go 3" now for the extra high end power. I can still feel the restriction after 5 RPMs.
    In any case, 3" would be the best choice for performance and sound. However, 2.5" will allow a more stock-like drive with SOME added performance and sound. It depends on where you want your car to go in the long run.
    2002 VW GTi 337

Quote Originally Posted by SunZhine337 View Post
    Another common question about the DP size.

Here's the lowdown:

-2.5" DP is good for getting some of the power the turbo is holding. It opens up the exhaust a little and makes a more deep sound even on the stock exhaust. Your exhaust is only as big as your smallest section. These keep most of the low end power and fee up SOME high end power.

-3" DP is probably the best choice. The stock K03 turbo is a 3.5" outlet so allowing the DP to have 3" of movable air frees up MOST of the powerband. It has a more aggressive roar even on the stock exhaust and allows for drop in upgrades of turbo's without worrying about getting a bigger DP. In regards to the efficiency of the engine, 3" would be the best choice.

I have a Megan Racing 2.5" DP with High Flow Resonator (They called it a high flow cat but it's really not). I felt the immeadiate gain but want to go 3" now for the extra high end power. I can still feel the restriction after 5 RPMs.
    In any case, 3" would be the best choice for performance and sound. However, 2.5" will allow a more stock-like drive with SOME added performance and sound. It depends on where you want your car to go in the long run.
    are you sure its 3in outlet because my DP inlet was a 3in and it fit perfectly

No one commented on the Tsudo/BBP from speed-element!
    Fill me in, I'm curious xD
    Black 02 1.8t
    Short Ram - 5k HID's - Short Shift Lever - R1 DV - Hitachi "E" - 3" DP - dogbone inserts - 120amp alternator -

I have CORSA it sounds great and theres not much if any droning once you get to your desired speed
    326/1200

does a dp pass emissions in new york?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast