stock 06 stereo
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stock 06 stereo

Default stock 06 stereo

Looking into buying a GTI pretty soon and I'm just trying to verify some things between the different years. The stock stereo in the 2006 can play MP3 CDs, but doesn't come with an ipod adapter or aux input right? Also if there's anything else major that you guys think would actually be worth the extra look for a reasonable 07+, it would be great to hear some opinions. Other than launch control I don't see much. The vehicle was manufactured and shipped to the dealer on 8/21/06 so it should be able to receive launch control from the dealer from what I've been reading on the forums correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: stock 06 stereo

Hello! I also own a 2006 and was curious about the whole ipod thing...I purchased this and it works amazing!...even charges the ipod...
    http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...M_I2_VAGD.html
    When I was hooking it up it wasn't working at first and then i realized i had to disconnect the "SAT" cord since i don't have satellite radio it didn't matter... and then it worked perfect...also when you want to use your ipod just press the "CD" button and it will take you to the "EXT"...pretty cool. hopefully everything works out for you...any questions just message me Ill be more then happy to help you.

Dubster

A slightly related issue, maybe someone has idea... The factory stereo with factory iPod connector doesn't really let you control the iPod via stereo as you know, and when you have more than a few playlists, it's absolutely cumbersome, AND can't display the track info, so kind of useless. I heard that there's a product that connects the iPod to the stock stereo and still let you control and flip through the iPod menu and also be able to see all the track info, is this true? And what this product be? Any ideas?

Go to http://crutchfield.com to see what they offer for your car.

Dubster

Quote Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
    Go to http://crutchfield.com to see what they offer for your car.
    I think I found it. Does anybody here use this product? Any opinion about this?
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_531IVWS...er.html?tp=120

I have a dice product hooked up through my clean sweep, it displays the names of songs but i have to change tracks by the ipod
    Last edited by forumrider04; 12-23-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Hertz HSK 163, Alpine SPX-17PRO, JL Clean Sweep, Alpine PDX F6, Alpine PDX 1.1000, Alpine 12'' Type X

only info i have on stuff like this is sometimes it doesn't work all that well s far as the interface goes. i've installed some PAC equipment, and it does what everyone wants, it just kinda is operated in a stupid way. same with some metra stuff... it all works, but you have to use weird buttons for controlling things, and it usually takes a while to figure out how to use it... other than that it usually works well
    -'06 UG GTI FSI-Neuspeed P Flow Intake, Neuspeed Short Shifter, Techtonics Cat Back, Alpine Speakers and Amps, custom crossovers, 10" Type R, Custom Center Channel Speaker, Pioneer AVH-3200DVD, Dynamat, Red Interior and LED Lights, Blacked Side Markers, Yellow Fogs. Soon to Have: 35% Tint

How do I get the id on the radio to hook up satellite radio?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruderegime View Post
    How do I get the id on the radio to hook up satellite radio?
    it has to have the tuner box from the factory to use sat radio like that. if it has the tuner box, the id# should be on the box somewhere, or if you hit the sat button and a number comes up, that'll probably be it. otherwise you're not going to get it unless you put some money into a solution...
    -'06 UG GTI FSI-Neuspeed P Flow Intake, Neuspeed Short Shifter, Techtonics Cat Back, Alpine Speakers and Amps, custom crossovers, 10" Type R, Custom Center Channel Speaker, Pioneer AVH-3200DVD, Dynamat, Red Interior and LED Lights, Blacked Side Markers, Yellow Fogs. Soon to Have: 35% Tint

I have a 2006 GTI with a beat up factory (CD, no Nav.) radio and I was wondering if:
    1. 2007 radio (CD, non Nav.) will work in my car? Found one on E-Bay for $80
    2. 2007 radio (Nav.) will plug and play in my car? Found one on E-bay for $500

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by justinasvideo; 01-08-2011 at 12:45 AM.

i'm not 100% sure, but i don't think the nav one will work because there isn't the necessary connection for the nav to work. ther's always a nav antenna needed for the factor nav option, and if yours doesn't have it then no factory unit will work with it. the radio might work, but the nav won't because there's nothing in the harness to make it work. and as far as i know, the 07 didn't change anything in the harness, so the wires and all should match... it's just a matter of fitment, which is wht i'm not 100% on. i think they are the same, but if they're not exactly the same they won't work. on that note, i have a factory 06 radio. single disc. should be in fine shape, i pulled it out almost as soon as i got the car like 2 years ago. if all else fails let me know. mine is just sitting here and i'd be willing to part with it

Quote Originally Posted by nas179 View Post
    i have a factory 06 radio. single disc. should be in fine shape, i pulled it out almost as soon as i got the car like 2 years ago. if all else fails let me know. mine is just sitting here and i'd be willing to part with it
    Hey, how much would you have to have for your radio shipped to ZIP 30062? Could you send me few pictures justinasvideo@yahoo.com ?

I have an 06 mkv gti which did not come with an aux port either. What i did was tap into the sat tuner under the passenger seat. you just need to find the left, right, and ground and then connect an aux port to these. You can sodder for a permanent connection or just use electrical tape if you plan to remove the aux port later. To hear your music from the aux port you just need to select the SAT button on the radio. The only downside is that if you are paying for sat, both sounds will come through at the same time. I solved this problem by putting a switch in the line of my sat antenna cable. Using the switch you can essentially disconnect the SAT radio antenna and it become quiet. Then play music with the aux port. Anyways I have pics and can help if anyone wants to do this. It all came together really nicely i think. I mounted the SAT antenna disconnect switch next to the ESP button and ran the aux cable up and behind the radio for a nice clean look.
    Muzzy

06 TR MKV GTI Stage 2+

Quote Originally Posted by sayyid1 View Post
    I have an 06 mkv gti which did not come with an aux port either. What i did was tap into the sat tuner under the passenger seat. you just need to find the left, right, and ground and then connect an aux port to these. You can sodder for a permanent connection or just use electrical tape if you plan to remove the aux port later. To hear your music from the aux port you just need to select the SAT button on the radio. The only downside is that if you are paying for sat, both sounds will come through at the same time. I solved this problem by putting a switch in the line of my sat antenna cable. Using the switch you can essentially disconnect the SAT radio antenna and it become quiet. Then play music with the aux port. Anyways I have pics and can help if anyone wants to do this. It all came together really nicely i think. I mounted the SAT antenna disconnect switch next to the ESP button and ran the aux cable up and behind the radio for a nice clean look.
    I dont need to do this but can you post pics of the switch and aux port?
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    I dont need to do this but can you post pics of the switch and aux port?
    I would like to see a pic too!

Quote Originally Posted by That Dude View Post
    I would like to see a pic too!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1047.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	3579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1045.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	3580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1044.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	3581
    The aux port runs behind the radio up to what used to be the air vent. Some people change that to the cubby tray. I removed it and put an ASUS EE PC in it! The aux port is connected to the EE PC which I then use Itunes to play music or microsoft streets and trips for gps, or Rosstech vagcom, etc etc etc
    Last edited by sayyid1; 01-20-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Muzzy

06 TR MKV GTI Stage 2+

+ Reply to Thread