hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

  1. #1
    Dubber In Training
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    5

    Default hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    I just bought a used 04 1.8t gti. I went on a 30mile drive and it was driving fine. then when i punch it in 4th, i got a harsh jerking/ hesitation and it really didnt want to accelerate anymore. the cel starting blinking for about 15 seconds then went away. under normal driving conditions, the car drives fine. it pretty much only happens when i accelerate fast. When i got the car, i didnt notice that there was no dipstick or that plastic orange tube that holds the dipstick so there was oil everywhere. i replaced the tube and dipstick. is thst oil leakage contributing to my acceleration problem? i'm waiting to see if the cel comes on steady so i can read the code. Any ideas thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    GTI Master SunZhine337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Greater Green Bay, Wisco USA
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Quote Originally Posted by robpr1 View Post
    I just bought a used 04 1.8t gti. I went on a 30mile drive and it was driving fine. then when i punch it in 4th, i got a harsh jerking/ hesitation and it really didnt want to accelerate anymore. the cel starting blinking for about 15 seconds then went away. under normal driving conditions, the car drives fine. it pretty much only happens when i accelerate fast. When i got the car, i didnt notice that there was no dipstick or that plastic orange tube that holds the dipstick so there was oil everywhere. i replaced the tube and dipstick. is thst oil leakage contributing to my acceleration problem? i'm waiting to see if the cel comes on steady so i can read the code. Any ideas thanks
    Get the codes read. There is a Coil Pack recall on the MK4 1.8T. Get to a local dealership where they'll check the vin for the recall. Sounds like limp mode under misfire to me.
    2002 VW GTi 337

    Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

  4. #3
    GTI Master SiMuL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    First of all, welcome to the forums and welcome to the world of VW!

    Your issue is not the oil. Flashing CEL is your coil packs (one or more of them). Take it to the dealer and they will replace for free, as that is a recall item. MK4 are notorious for their terrible coils.

    In the future, make sure you use the search feature to search for your issues. I just answered this question yesterday for another new member...

  5. #4
    GTI Master Jsilva970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire, United States
    Age
    23
    Posts
    6,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forums and welcome to the world of VW!



    In the future, make sure you use the search feature to search for your issues. I just answered this question yesterday for another new member...
    If he doesn't know the problem then how can he search howto fix it...
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.

  6. #5
    GTI Master SiMuL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Always got something negative to say dontcha... lol, you seem to like putting ppl on the defensive... Guess that's just your style.

    He used all the keywords in his original post... CEL blinking, jerking, hesitation (sounds dirty, lol)... all perfect search words that would have lead him to some posts. I was just saving him from some of the other members that jump on ppl for not searching.

  7. #6
    GTI Master Jsilva970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire, United States
    Age
    23
    Posts
    6,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    Always got something negative to say dontcha... lol, you seem to like putting ppl on the defensive... Guess that's just your style.

    He used all the keywords in his original post... CEL blinking, jerking, hesitation (sounds dirty, lol)... all perfect search words that would have lead him to some posts. I was just saving him from some of the other members that jump on ppl for not searching.
    Search function doesn't always work the best.. I know I have search for things that don't come up..
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.

  8. #7
    GTI Master SiMuL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    I agree. Most forum's search functions suck. It's mainly due to the way MySQL works (the database server on the backend). Because the databases are so large, it would take a LONG time to do a real search for text, so they have to use another index table in the database that will only index certain keywords (and usually nothing 3 characters or less). It sucks, but that's forum life for ya...

    I was honestly just trying to save him from someone else saying it, since I've seen some rather mean replies about not searching..

  9. #8
    GTI Master Jsilva970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire, United States
    Age
    23
    Posts
    6,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    I agree. Most forum's search functions suck. It's mainly due to the way MySQL works (the database server on the backend). Because the databases are so large, it would take a LONG time to do a real search for text, so they have to use another index table in the database that will only index certain keywords (and usually nothing 3 characters or less). It sucks, but that's forum life for ya...

    I was honestly just trying to save him from someone else saying it, since I've seen some rather mean replies about not searching..
    SQL is lame, oracle ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.

  10. #9
    GTI Master SiMuL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Microsoft's SQL is more than lame (anything MS falls into that category!!), however, the Linux SQL port MySQL (free FTW) is not too bad. It's not based on the butchered Microsoft port at all. Perfect for hosting and forums like this. Just not perfect for searching lots of text, since that just puts a ton of overhead on the server hardware.

    Oracle is awesome, too bad it costs too damn much, and its not practical for anything like hosting/forums/websites. It's best use is enterprise level internal infrastructure systems. The licensing can cost you millions, depending on what you need.

    thread jack, ftl

  11. #10
    Dubber In Training
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Well the cel came up steady. I got it read and it came up as a multiple misfire. So, thanks for the quick and accurate responce guys. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to inquire about the recall coilpacks. I now realize that I probably could have searched better for the answer. Reguardless, I appreciate the response.

  12. #11
    GTI Master hambone64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    hey guys, rather than start a new thread, i figured id post here. Ive had a somewhat similar problem. when i accelerate hard, usually in 2nd or 3rd, i can feel the car accelerating normally and the turbo spooling, but then it feels like the acceleration slows for a second, and i hear the turbo getting quieter, then acceleration feels normal again and the turbo is back to normal psi. it feels as tho the car accelerates fine, releases boost and acceleration slows, then picks up boost again and its back to normal. I dont have a CEL and change my coilpacks half a year ago. i also dont have any codes but ill try to go down to pepboys and get some. any help is appreciated, thanks

  13. #12
    GTI Master SunZhine337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Greater Green Bay, Wisco USA
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Quote Originally Posted by hambone64 View Post
    hey guys, rather than start a new thread, i figured id post here. Ive had a somewhat similar problem. when i accelerate hard, usually in 2nd or 3rd, i can feel the car accelerating normally and the turbo spooling, but then it feels like the acceleration slows for a second, and i hear the turbo getting quieter, then acceleration feels normal again and the turbo is back to normal psi. it feels as tho the car accelerates fine, releases boost and acceleration slows, then picks up boost again and its back to normal. I dont have a CEL and change my coilpacks half a year ago. i also dont have any codes but ill try to go down to pepboys and get some. any help is appreciated, thanks
    how many mileso n your car? I had the same issues a while back. Turned out to be a sticky Wastegaste. First Step is your DV. It is the pivital boost holder for your system. If it sticks you'll have that issue. Secons step is the N75 which controls the boost level. These can ware out towards 100K miles. Step Three is the wastegate itself which can stick open to release too much pressure and lower boost levels. When it releases boost will return to normal. This can be jerky or smooth. They stick in different ways.

    Check them out first.
    2002 VW GTi 337

    Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

  14. #13
    GTI Master shaun07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,812

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Possible your do stock has something to so with it, check the seal, let it idle and pull it out see what happens
    APR K04, raceland coilovers, neuspeed intake, custom exhaust, other random pretty making mods
    1988 Audi 90 Quattro baybeh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsilva970 View Post
    delete you account, sell you car, buy a honda.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    Don't be alarmed, shaun is always getting moist or having an erection.
    Quote Originally Posted by sangheili View Post
    Also is that valve thing for real or are u guys just messin with me
    Quote Originally Posted by cbursten View Post
    I like your style, Shaun.

  15. #14
    GTI Master SiMuL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    Possible your do stock has something to so with it, check the seal, let it idle and pull it out see what happens
    Can you clarify what you mean? Which seal are you referring to? Thanks!

  16. #15
    GTI Master shaun07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,812

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Dip stick bad seal maybe... Sorry I have a swype keyboard
    APR K04, raceland coilovers, neuspeed intake, custom exhaust, other random pretty making mods
    1988 Audi 90 Quattro baybeh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsilva970 View Post
    delete you account, sell you car, buy a honda.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    Don't be alarmed, shaun is always getting moist or having an erection.
    Quote Originally Posted by sangheili View Post
    Also is that valve thing for real or are u guys just messin with me
    Quote Originally Posted by cbursten View Post
    I like your style, Shaun.

  17. #16
    GTI Master SiMuL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Ah, yea, using your phone! No worries. I had dip stick and funnel issues on my car. There shouldn't be any issues related to that. I drove home without the funnel and the dip stick was in my car when my funnel shattered due to its age.. lol, that was a bit scary, as there were plastic pieces sitting INSIDE the metal tube that the funnel sits in. I was able to vacuum them out with my shop vac though! The drive home was no different than if the funnel and dipstick were installed.

  18. #17
    GTI Master hambone64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Quote Originally Posted by SunZhine337 View Post
    how many mileso n your car? I had the same issues a while back. Turned out to be a sticky Wastegaste. First Step is your DV. It is the pivital boost holder for your system. If it sticks you'll have that issue. Secons step is the N75 which controls the boost level. These can ware out towards 100K miles. Step Three is the wastegate itself which can stick open to release too much pressure and lower boost levels. When it releases boost will return to normal. This can be jerky or smooth. They stick in different ways.

    Check them out first.
    The car has 75k on it and is completely stock. Ill check all three of them, but what exactly do i need to check for in the wastegate? thanks for the reply


    and i dont think theyre are problems with my dipstick seal but ill check it out too
    Last edited by hambone64; 12-19-2010 at 06:36 PM.

  19. #18
    Dubber In Training
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    well, i replaced the spark plugs and the coils. it seemed to have fixed the problem but today it happened again! WTF! I got a blinking CEL and then it disappeared. it only happened once since i changed them. it definitely accelerates better it still happened again. What could be causing this??

  20. #19
    GTI Master SiMuL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Blinking CEL is almost always the coil packs. Where did you get them from? Did the dealer replace them? If they did, take it back and let them know that your CEL started blinking again and it felt like one of the coils was having issues again. They can double check them.

    Also, make sure they gave you the new style coils, cuz the old ones are the ones with issues. I'm fairly certain they will only use the new ones tho.

  21. #20
    GTI Master SunZhine337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Greater Green Bay, Wisco USA
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    Blinking CEL is almost always the coil packs. Where did you get them from? Did the dealer replace them? If they did, take it back and let them know that your CEL started blinking again and it felt like one of the coils was having issues again. They can double check them.

    Also, make sure they gave you the new style coils, cuz the old ones are the ones with issues. I'm fairly certain they will only use the new ones tho.
    I just spent the extra dough and upgraded to the Hitachi E-coils. No problems since. The bolt downs are really nice for keeping things running at optimum.
    2002 VW GTi 337

    Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

  22. #21
    Dubber In Training
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    So the cel starting blinking again and stayed on steady. The codes are multiple misfire, misfire in 1,3 and 4. also incorrect air flow or something like that. I've changed all four plugs and coils. i cleaned the MAF sensor. I really dont think its the coils at all anymore. It doesnt misfire all the time. i only feel it when it revs to at least 3500-4000rpms and even then, not everytime. what else could it be?? thanks

  23. #22

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Quote Originally Posted by robpr1 View Post
    So the cel starting blinking again and stayed on steady. The codes are multiple misfire, misfire in 1,3 and 4. also incorrect air flow or something like that. I've changed all four plugs and coils. i cleaned the MAF sensor. I really dont think its the coils at all anymore. It doesnt misfire all the time. i only feel it when it revs to at least 3500-4000rpms and even then, not everytime. what else could it be?? thanks
    Sorry to bring this thread back alive... did you end up finding a fix for your problem? I had been having this problem for few months; also had a broken dipstick tube, replaced but still having a hesitation/jerking issue when the engine is warm.

  24. #23
    DubMeister dman624's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Anaheim CA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    556

    Default

    When you changed the plugs did you check the gap before installing them? I was getting misfires so I pulled the plugs and checked the gaps and a couple weren't gapped to the correct spec. Don't trust what the box says they are gapped to.
    2005 1.8t, APR Stage 1, APR R1 Diverter, Neuspeed P-Flow Short Ram Intake, GHL 3" Cat Back Exhaust

  25. #24
    Dubber In Training
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: hard acceleration hesitation/ jerking

    Quote Originally Posted by dman624 View Post
    When you changed the plugs did you check the gap before installing them? I was getting misfires so I pulled the plugs and checked the gaps and a couple weren't gapped to the correct spec. Don't trust what the box says they are gapped to.
    Yeah. The plugs played a major role in the misfire. I finally bought ngk plugs with the correct gap. It was much better after that

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Strange noise under hard acceleration
    By CheekyBastard in forum MKV GTI
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
  2. acceleration hesitation
    By cdstgo in forum MKV GTI
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 12:15 AM
  3. Hesitation and PSI drop
    By DasBohan in forum MKIV GTI
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 08:02 PM
  4. Surging & hesitation
    By StageIIGTI in forum VW GTI Newbies & FAQs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 02:03 PM
  5. sputtering, jerking misfiring?
    By pillallo in forum VW GTI Problems / Complaints
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 12:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts