Frozen E-Brake
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frozen E-Brake

Default Frozen E-Brake

Hey Guys-

I went out to my car this morning like I always do to go to work and had some trouble. It was pretty cold here in Boston last night (~20F) and I left my car in neutral with the brake on (as I always do). I have an 03 GTI 1.8T, manual (obviously).

This morning I got in and put the ebrake down and started driving like normal. I realized my car was struggling a bit so I figured my ebrake was on. I stopped the car, and lifted the handle up to check if there was any resistance, and sure enough nothing. The handle went all the way up with absolutely no resistance whatsoever.

I ended up taking my roommates car to work, but I was hoping you guys would be able to help me. How do I get this e-brake unfrozen? I left my car running for a while (~45 minutes) and nothing changed, the handle still freely moves up and down.

Anyone got any ideas?

-Brando

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frozen E-Brake

Quote Originally Posted by mortgeek View Post
    Hey Guys-

I went out to my car this morning like I always do to go to work and had some trouble. It was pretty cold here in Boston last night (~20F) and I left my car in neutral with the brake on (as I always do). I have an 03 GTI 1.8T, manual (obviously).

This morning I got in and put the ebrake down and started driving like normal. I realized my car was struggling a bit so I figured my ebrake was on. I stopped the car, and lifted the handle up to check if there was any resistance, and sure enough nothing. The handle went all the way up with absolutely no resistance whatsoever.

I ended up taking my roommates car to work, but I was hoping you guys would be able to help me. How do I get this e-brake unfrozen? I left my car running for a while (~45 minutes) and nothing changed, the handle still freely moves up and down.

Anyone got any ideas?

-Brando
    seiezed calipers. could be a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsilva970 View Post
    seiezed calipers. could be a problem
    I agree they they are seized in the sense that the brake won't release, but I think the problem has way more to do with a frozen e-brake cable than the calipers actually being seized.

I agree they they are seized in the sense that the brake won't release, but I think the problem has way more to do with a frozen e-brake cable than the calipers actually being seized.
    jack your car up and try to spin the wheel by hand. sometimes it breaks it free
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    yeah. kinda annoying sig
    You're the densest person I've run into in a while.

Good idea, I'll do it tonight when I'm home from work.

DAS IST MEIN FAST

hey when that has happend to me. all i do i back up. the way the brakes lock it is like it is going forward. so if you go back wards it releases the brakes. also what you can do is take a metal hammer and hit the caliper or drum. do not beat the hell out of it but kind of hard. watch out for the bleader valve and all the brake lines. this is what is taught when you go to school for automobiles. when backing up make sure that you do not have anything behind you and that it is safe that give it a little gas. let me know how that works out.
    http://s987.photobucket.com/user/the...st001.jpg.html2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

Before you go pounding on the caliper try checking the black cables that run close the the wheel well on either side of your ride. They droop a bit and a clearly visable on any MkIV. If there is a bulge in the line ANYWHERE it is crimped and needs to be replaced. It's not a hard job, totally DIY and the lines are $15 from a VW dealer. If there is no bulge it may be a seized caliper piston like the lovely gentlemen on this forum suggest.
    They so smart all the time!
    Also, try checking the cables where they attach to the handle. Sometimes they pop out of the holder but your e-brake would be stuck off instead of on.

Good luck!
    2002 VW GTi 337

Build Thread - 193whp / 227wtq
    APR Stage 2 ECU - APR R1 DV - EuroJet Cone Filter - EuroJet TIP - 2.5" DP w/ Res Delete - EBC Redstuff Brakes - Hitachi E Coils w/ NGK BKR7E Plugs - 42DD Shift Bushings - BFI Stage 2 Motor Mounts - 120a Alternator - 4g Ground Upgrade - 10,000k HID Projector Heads and Fogs - IE Manual TB Converison w/Gates Racing Belt

Thanks for the replies everybody. I believe I fixed the problem.

As a suggestion per my mechanic, I drove my car in reverse for a short burst and slammed on the brakes. This released the brake and allowed me to drive normally.

My e brake handle still had no resistance, so I checked where the cables connect to the handle, and sure enough, they were disconnected. I reconnected, tightened, and adjusted the e brake and it is working perfectly now.

I believe what happened was, the brake lines froze because of the weather which locked the brakes up. When I put the handle down, the lines stayed where they were while the handle moved, thus the cables disconnected themselves from the handle. When I drove in reverse and hit the brakes, the cables popped back into place (because the ice cracked/moved) and thus fixed that problem. All that was left to do was reconnect the cables.

I appreciate the help everyone, hopefully I can avoid this for the rest of the winter by avoiding the e brake in really cold weather, and then when its warm enough in the spring, I can replace the lines.

-Brando

If you have considerable mileage (50k plus) on the car, I highly suggest flushing your brake fluid and getting all new fluid in the lines. Chances are your's is cooked and that's messing with it's freezing/boiling point temps.

Quote Originally Posted by SiMuL View Post
    If you have considerable mileage (50k plus) on the car, I highly suggest flushing your brake fluid and getting all new fluid in the lines. Chances are your's is cooked and that's messing with it's freezing/boiling point temps.
    I was under the impression that e-brake's are mechanical linkages that are connected directly to the calipers. I don't think the brake fluid will effect the e-brake assembly.

Also, I replaced my brake fluid about 10,000 miles ago, so I'm 99.99% positive that is not the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

REVIEW STAFF

I was under the impression that e-brake's are mechanical linkages that are connected directly to the calipers. I don't think the brake fluid will effect the e-brake assembly.

Also, I replaced my brake fluid about 10,000 miles ago, so I'm 99.99% positive that is not the problem.

The cable worked itself loose on my 02. Off the handle of course. Rather stupid, never replaced my cable and after fixing it never had a problem again
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo View Post
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

Yea, you could be right. I don't really know how the e-brake system works on our cars. If you just replaced it, then that's definitely not the issue!

Dubber In Training

so i had the same issue on my 2000 vr6 in minnesota, but i think i broke something. i just made it release, i didn't eff with the calipers or anything. now when i pull on my ebrake there is no resistance and my car just rolls away. what did i break?

REVIEW STAFF

Quote Originally Posted by DEANVR6 View Post
    so i had the same issue on my 2000 vr6 in minnesota, but i think i broke something. i just made it release, i didn't eff with the calipers or anything. now when i pull on my ebrake there is no resistance and my car just rolls away. what did i break?
    Pull the console apart and see if the cable is still attached to the handle.
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Mine literally just did the same thing 5 mind ago... I held the button in and yanked it up and down till the ice broke off
    APR K04, raceland coilovers, neuspeed intake, custom exhaust, other random pretty making mods
    1988 Audi 90 Quattro baybeh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsilva970 View Post
    delete you account, sell you car, buy a honda.
    Don't be alarmed, shaun is always getting moist or having an erection.
    Quote Originally Posted by sangheili View Post
    Also is that valve thing for real or are u guys just messin with me
    Quote Originally Posted by cbursten View Post
    I like your style, Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by boostedJTi View Post
    Pull the console apart and see if the cable is still attached to the handle.
    This.

I doubt you broke the cable, check and make sure its still attached to the handle. If theres no resistance at all, I'm almost certain thats what happened.

Dubber In Training

This.

I doubt you broke the cable, check and make sure its still attached to the handle. If theres no resistance at all, I'm almost certain thats what happened.
    where do i start in pulling apart the console? i've done the doors but never the console

REVIEW STAFF

Quote Originally Posted by DEANVR6 View Post
    where do i start in pulling apart the console? i've done the doors but never the console
    Start with the back of the console, work your way forward. Mini ashtray in the backseat
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

+ Reply to Thread