MAF disconnected, car ran fine! what gives?
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MAF disconnected, car ran fine! what gives?

Default MAF disconnected, car ran fine! what gives?

So, the other night I had my airbox off to check some things out, getting ready to do the cam follower and install a catch can, and when I put things back together I forgot to hook up the MAF. The next morning I started the car and drove several miles, kind of slow because it was a cold morning in city traffic. I didn't notice any problem with the way the car ran and didn't get any CEL's. I didn't realize the car would even run with the MAF disconnected. Does anyone know how this is possible? Shouldn't it have least thrown a CEL?

I woke up at 3 am the next morning and remembered that I hadn't connected the MAF. It is hooked up now and the car is fine.
    German cars, American guitars, and English football

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: MAF disconnected, car ran fine! what gives?

I don't know why it runs fine...I mean one would think the pcm wouldn't let it run since it needs to know the amount of air going into the engine for proper a/f ratios. I had the intake on my MKV taken off last week to fix a stuck intake runner and had the car running while spraying carb cleaner into the intake and egr port on the intake manifold to break up carbon build up that was making the flaps stick open and cause bad idle. We were confused as to why the car ran fine with the mass air flow disconnected.

I posted this same ? over on Golfmkv. the answers i got were, the car will run off the MAP if the MAF is disconnected and one or two more start-up cycles would trigger the CEL.
    German cars, American guitars, and English football

Dubber In Training

probably just puts it into fail safe mode and assumes its getting 14.7lbs of air.
    "You should:

Get a replacement VR6 as quick as possible, you have recovered now and death is your bitch.
    Get a job, at your job, consistently talk about your VR6 Horor story.
    With some money saved, piece together a turbo to make the VR6 faster.
    After that, quit. Hole same ass in the same street with double the speed and see if you survive round 2. "

+ Reply to Thread