Report Problems You've Had With Your 2011 MKVI in this thread.
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Report Problems You've Had With Your 2011 MKVI in this thread.

Default Re: Report Problems You've Had With Your 2011 MKVI in this thread.

filling up the other day, i just turned the pump on and filled it all the way up, when i got in the car, it only showed 3/4 tank. slowly throughout the day it creeped closer and closer to full tank but it probably took cumulatively about an hour of driving for it to reach the actual fuel level
    2011 MKVI, APR Stage II ECU, APR Carbonio Stage I & II, 42dd 3" Downpipe (street series), 42dd O2 spacer, AWE Boost Guage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Dubber In Training feel the carbon steel's Avatar

media unit in center storage console went bad, doesn't recognize iPod, mp3 player, etc.

New Dub Cub

Quote Originally Posted by feel the carbon steel View Post
    media unit in center storage console went bad, doesn't recognize iPod, mp3 player, etc.
    Mine did that once. I tried unplugging and re-plugging the ipod - nothing. Then I turned the car off and back on and it worked again. No problem since.

VDubber

This has happened a handfull of times on mine. I noticed that if I turn the car off for a min and back on then it's fine.

Car at 750 miles. Leaving a parking lot tried to start it and it wouldn't start. EPC (or something) ERROR came up on the display screen. freaked me out a little bit.

removed key, started it up, and no issues since. Checked acceleration and she's just as quick. but made me a lil worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing184 View Post
    Car at 750 miles. Leaving a parking lot tried to start it and it wouldn't start. EPC (or something) ERROR came up on the display screen. freaked me out a little bit.

removed key, started it up, and no issues since. Checked acceleration and she's just as quick. but made me a lil worried.
    Soooo, you just said fvck it I'll just drive it around and beat on it? How about you get it scanned at the dealer before you ruin a brand new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by volcano Hidden Content
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

I can't seem to get mine to recognize my mp3 player either....plug it in and nothing. Turn car on/off still nothing. Not a big deal but disappointing at the very least.

Regards,

Truckin

Quote Originally Posted by Figz View Post
    This has happened a handfull of times on mine. I noticed that if I turn the car off for a min and back on then it's fine.
    Yeah mine was like that for about a week, then it just stopped reading it altogether.

My media player is funny sometimes. I have an ipod in there, and sometimes when I turn on the car it wont play. I have to click CD, then back to media input to get it working. It's just a little annoying. If i've been playing the ipod for a while I can turn it off and on within 15 minutes and the ipod will play where it left off. Anything longer than 15 and usually I have to press CD then media.

anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by BS2H View Post
    My media player is funny sometimes. I have an ipod in there, and sometimes when I turn on the car it wont play. I have to click CD, then back to media input to get it working. It's just a little annoying. If i've been playing the ipod for a while I can turn it off and on within 15 minutes and the ipod will play where it left off. Anything longer than 15 and usually I have to press CD then media.

anyone else?
    Mine did pretty much all of what you said, but it deteorated until it wouldn't recognize it at all, so i took it to the dealer and they replaced the center unit and thus far it is working great!!

I know what you mean, at times downshifting takes quite a bit of effort. One time specifically I noticed an unusual amount of tension through the shifter going down through third and second. I'm starting to wonder just how durable the stock clutch is, being so light and fragile-feeling. I'd say that the occasional edgy speed shift is more of a clutch problem, but I'm on the same page as you.

Dubber In Training

At 1700 miles, the back windshield wiper stopped working, also when I use the remote to lock the car the horn doesn't honk anymore. Also when I opened the sunglasses holder the first time it wouldn't click shut so now it just hangs open.

Only thing I have done to the car is installed a new shifter, an OSIR orbit v3

Quote Originally Posted by Nilo27 View Post
    At 1700 miles, the back windshield wiper stopped working, also when I use the remote to lock the car the horn doesn't honk anymore. Also when I opened the sunglasses holder the first time it wouldn't click shut so now it just hangs open.

Only thing I have done to the car is installed a new shifter, an OSIR orbit v3
    Haha, you sure someone didn't vagcom off all that stuff(besides the sunglass holder)?
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Bang bang tang!!

No rear wiper and no horn when locking are bonuses to me.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by xcrazydx Hidden Content
    I wouldn't trust them to install a burrito into a paper bag.
    Instagram: @swervin_VI

Dubber In Training

There is, this video should help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDevaVKo5Ro

anyone else?
    Mine works 80% of the time, I think. Plug it in, play audio for 5s, then nothing. Unplug and replug and it works most of the time.

New Dub Cub

anyone else?
    Exact same problem.
    Salud,
    Jon

yeah the ipod hook up feature is a little goofy sometimes for me to. The screen on my sterio say a different name from the actual band thats playing

Quote Originally Posted by Libris View Post
    yeah the ipod hook up feature is a little goofy sometimes for me to. The screen on my sterio say a different name from the actual band thats playing
    I hate that!!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by xcrazydx Hidden Content
    I wouldn't trust them to install a burrito into a paper bag.
    Instagram: @swervin_VI

Dubber In Training

I had a problem with the K&N cold air intake kit. The air pressure sensor was being blocked by a defective flange in the replacement pipe of the kit. It turns out the pipe was incorrectly manufactured and the flange inside was a quarter of an inch to far in. It wouldn't allow the air flow sensor to seat down flush. K&N was proactive and took care of me but it's something to watch out for. If you run into a problem, call them. It could be the part not the amateur installing the thing!

anyone else?
    the iPod that I put in my car (4th gen 4 GBNano, I have a few iPods!!) was always flaky, real slow, and I did not like the directory structure. I have finally given up on iPod integration and bought a few 16GB SD cards (Class 10 SDHC). I can put my music on them in any directory configuration, playlist, album structure, etc. that I like and once it imports the directory structure, everything is much quicker than the iPod. Works great, and I have 48GB of music in my glove box for less than half the cost of a 16GB Nano.

I highly recommend this solution!
    2011 GTI 4-door DSG Sunroof - United Gray metallic
    17" Enkei Fujin wheels - Continental ExtremeContactDWS
    Custom black leather interior with red stitching

How are you saving them to the SD? In what form? I tried loading a bunch of stuff from itunes to an SD and the car won't recognize them.
    MKVI--Deep Black Metallic Manual-- 2Dr. Autobahn -- APR stage 2--Eurojet DP--Evoms Intake--H&R Sport Springs--Euroswitch--Tint:F 20% R 15%--Short Shifter

My other fun is a 2013 Triumph Thruxton

Dubber In Training

How difficult is it to get VW to fix these problems? I'm seeing the same problem constantly reoccurring and I'm a bit worried VW won't help me out if my system starts failing

Quote Originally Posted by rpandresen View Post
    How difficult is it to get VW to fix these problems? I'm seeing the same problem constantly reoccurring and I'm a bit worried VW won't help me out if my system starts failing
    I told the dealership and they shipped in a new center storage media unit at no cost.

[QUOTE=Teach;215558]How are you saving them to the SD? In what form? I tried loading a bunch of stuff from itunes to an SD and the car won't recognize them.[/QUOTE

I only use iTunes to load my iPods and iPhone with tunes...not to manage my music (Apple doesn't want you to play your music without an iPod involved so their software makes it intentionally difficult to transfer files in a sensible format). I have all my music on a house server and they are just in a Windows directory structure with *.mp3 files at the bottom. I just copy directories to the SD card, and when I push it into the car slot, the directory structure pops up on the touchscreen. I navigate down to a directory that has a playlist or just songs in it (mostly arranged as original albums that I ripped from CD) and either select the playlist or the first song (and then the car plays through the directory of songs. If I just let it go automatic it just goes through the directory structure in fully expanded alphabetical order and plays all the mp3 files in order. I bet you could just drag mp3 files onto an SD and they would just automatically play in order...just like the old 8-tracks (hahaha...now you know how old I am).

Well,

Aside from my media unit issue which I have determined was my error and nothing defective regarding the radio my first real issue has presented itself. To give the short version of the story I have been driving my GTI everyday for the past month without any problems whatsoever! Then on 6/16/2011 I go outside to start my vehicle to head to work and the vehicle won't start. Turn the key and nothing but a "Clicking" noise can be heard from the engine bay. All of the instrument cluster warning lights/dinging is still operational but they are dimmer than normal. I didn't leave on any lights, doors, hatch etc open for it to drain the battery so I though hmm...must be a bad cell in the battery..Right? I contacted the dealership I purchased the car from and made a service appointment for 6/17/11. I jumped the car off that morning, drove it to the dealer and left it there. After all day yesterday and today they can't seem to get the car to "Reproduce" the same issue. They recommended that I leave the vehicle till this coming Monday 6/20/11 to see if it will duplicate the issue and they can locate the problem. I was somewhat disappointed that this has happened especially since I haven't owned the automobile even a month now. However, I do understand that all things can break even if they are new. I sure hope they can locate the source of the problem as I have been very dissatisfied with the service department as a whole so far. Hope no one else has had this issue, but if you have I feel you frustrations.

Regards,

Truckin

i bought a 2011 gti about 2-3 weeks ago. just yesterday at about 650 miles, i noticed my radiator fans would stay on forever even after the car is off. i know its probably normal for it to stay on for about 10-15 mins but i waited over an hour for it to turn off and it didnt. i brought it to the dealership, and they had me leave the car overnight. they ended up replacing the radiator and fans. i dont really care about the issue or having to get it fixed since i know things break and they were nice and warrantied everything, but i was pretty pissed that they gave me a KIA RIO to drive around in while it was being repaired haha.

Dubber In Training

The dealers can be behind on info. Mine told me that I changed tires and/or wheels and that's why my air pressure sensor wouldn't work. They showed me what the end of the sensor thingy should look like. I informed him that these tires had NEVER been broken down...period! He implied that I was lying and then I got pissed. I told him again and said OK then how do we resolve this problem since it's under warranty and he explained the process. Bottom line is I get home, look in my manual and go through the reset process...BOOM! It resets. I called him back and told him that he and his staff might want to actually keep up with the changes being made to their vehicles!

Had a 2011 CSG 4dr Manual Interlagos With Sunroof bought end of January with no problems whatsoever until it flooded June 1. Insurance totaled it and just picked a new identical car except Tornado Red and noticed that the driver's door-lock button does not work.

Delete... dupe.
    Last edited by ninebelow; 06-20-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Dubber In Training

Bluetooth lost the ability to pair with my phone. Dealer has ordered a new BT module. Anyone else with BT problems?

Same happened with my BT a few weeks after I got it. Reboot the phone; take out the battery, re-insert and try to match it up with the car; bet it works.

Unless, of course you already tried that, then I bet it won't work.
    Last edited by Teach; 06-21-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Just thinkin
    MKVI--Deep Black Metallic Manual-- 2Dr. Autobahn -- APR stage 2--Eurojet DP--Evoms Intake--H&R Sport Springs--Euroswitch--Tint:F 20% R 15%--Short Shifter

My other fun is a 2013 Triumph Thruxton

I am having a similar but different BT issue. It links just fine with iPhone (b/c I can be talking on the phone handsfree), but when I hang up and try to swicth to BT audio and use iPhone for music, it doesnt show up under "media." Then wait maybe a few minutes...and it shows up. Other times I have hung up the call and music starts right in. Kinda weird and glitchy but no biggie so far.

My other gripe is that iPod connector cable is too short. They should have made it retractable.

Other question--do all GTI's have SD slot? I have "basic" stereo option and dont see one anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by GTIrish2011 View Post
    Other question--do all GTI's have SD slot? I have "basic" stereo option and dont see one anywhere...
    nope
    Bang bang tang!!

Dubber In Training

Hey I smoked a Harley the other day. It wasn't even close! The guy had the nerve to accelerate and cut in front of me. I caught him on merging onto the interstate and blew his frikken doors off! It was sWeet! I think the guy knew he didn't have a chance so he didn't give it much effort. I smoked a harley in my 89 Ford 5.0 but that's different story. Fun though, the guy wouldn't give up and when two lanes merged into one I had the lead but he was still there on the shoulder! What a nut! Anyway I hit third and I was gone!

Quote Originally Posted by cbenjes View Post
    Bluetooth lost the ability to pair with my phone. Dealer has ordered a new BT module. Anyone else with BT problems?
    I'm having a problem where the phone pairs, can make and receive calls, and plays media...but when I make or answer a call, I get no audio and the other person can't hear me either. Checked all the audio stuff and everything is set up properly. I'm thinking maybe it's a problem with my phone. Verizon Motorola Droid.

Dubber In Training

If the dealer couldn't make it work there must be a problem in the car. You'd think anyway. My dealer hooked me up initially and later when I switched phones I had to figure it out. But if I can do it anyone can.

Dubber In Training

New BT module and all is perfect once again with the car. More than perfect, now APR Stage 1. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by SAS View Post
    Hey I smoked a Harley the other day
    Pretty impressive...did you smoke it in a pipe, or roll it up?

Dubber In Training

I've had my GTI mk6 just over a year now, and had no issues with anything until recently. Last week I noticed a creaking sound coming from what I believe to be the suspension. It occurs when I drive over almost any noticeable bumps in the road. I have been taking good care of the car and I've never gone off-road with it. Seems a little early to have this problem. So I took it in to the dealer, they said it was coming from the sway bar connections, which they lubed up, and then gave me the car back. It was fine right after the service, but the next day I noticed the creaking again. Although its rather quiet (I have to turn the music down to hear it) it seems to me that a suspension system with barely 10k miles on it should not make noise like that.
    Anyone else noticed this problem?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast