MKIV_GTI 2004 Mk4 1.8T Jetta GLI/GTI Clutch Replacement
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 Mk4 1.8T Jetta GLI/GTI Clutch Replacement

Banned User

Default 2004 Mk4 1.8T Jetta GLI/GTI Clutch Replacement

DIY MkIV Replace Clutch/Flywheel/Pressure Plate

**Disclaimer: If you get injured or damage happens to your car by following this How To, tough stuff, its not my fault, shoulda had a shop do it .**

**i forgot/couldnt get alot of these shots so most if not all of the pix are comin from a diy i referenced from vortex but we need our own diys here so tough**

Tools Required
    -Ratchet
    -10mm Socket
    -13mm Socket
    -16mm Socket
    -18mm Socket
    -Philips Head Screwdriver
    -13mm Wrench
    -12mm Triple Square Socket
    -9mm 12 point socket for Sachs Clutch
    OR
    -6mm Triple Square Socket for Luk clutch
    -T20 Torx bit
    -Extenstions
    -Torque Wrench
    -Jack(s)
    -Jackstands

Highly Recommended Tools
    -Breaker Bar
    -Lots of Extenstions
    -Impact Gun
    -Air Ratchet

Here We Go!!
    1) Park the car with the ebrake engaged and jack up the front end. You can jack up from the subframe (part where the dogbone mount goes into). Make sure you put a piece of wood on the jack so that you don't damage the subframe. Also. the front end has to be high enough so that the tranny can be pulled out from underneath. 1.5' should be good.

2) Place the jackstands on either side. I usually stick them right under the spot where the control arms are bolted up. Remove the wheels.

3) Using the 12mm Triple Square Socket remove the bolts holding the driveshaft to the differential flange (6 per side)

4) Using a 13mm socket remove the bolts holding the ball joint to the control arm. The heads of the bolts face downward (3 per side). Make sure to grab the ball joint locking plate on top of the control arm.

5) Pull the steering knuckles away from the transmission so that the driveshafts clear the differential.

6) Loosen the hose clamp on the intake tube to the airbox. Remove the tube. Remove the wire harness from the airbox. Remove the second, smaller platic hose from the side of the airbox facing the motor. Use a 10mm socket to remove the 2 bolts holding down the airbox. The first is on the strut tower, the second inbetween the airbox and battery tray on the left hand side. Remove the airbox.

7) Remove the battery cover. Undo the (+) and (-) terminals on the battery. Remove the platic piece that is directly on top of the battery. Loosen the battery retaining bolt using a 13mm socket. It may be easier if you remove the rear headlight cover. Remove the battery. Remove the plastic cover for the wire loom on the rear side of the battery tray, remove wires. Use a 10mm Socket to remove the 4 bolts holding the battery tray to the car. Remove tray.

8 )Remove nut holding on starter wire using a 13mm socket. Remove the wire. Remove the wire harness on the starter. Go under the car and remove the power steering line bracket from the starter bolt using a 13mm socket. Remove starter bolt using an 18mm socket. Go back up top and remove nut holding on large wiring loom on the top starter bolt. Remove the top starter bolt using an 18mm socket. Remove starter.

9) Remove shift cables from the transmission. There are two types of cables. On the early MkIV's there are nuts holding on the shift cables. on the later models there are clips.

10) Remove the 3 bolts holding on the shift cable bracket using a 13mm socket.

11) Remove the two bolts holding on the bracket that ties the transmission to the side transmission mount. You will need a 13mm wrench to hold the nut on the transmission side of the bracket.

12) Use a 13mm socket to remove the 2 bolts holding on the clutch cylinder.

13) Support the motor with the jack and a block of wood. Remove the 2 bolts holding the dogbone mount to the subframe using a 13mm socket. Remove the 2 bolts that attach the dogbone mount to the transmission using a 16mm socket.

14) Remove the 2 bolts holding the side mount to the transmission using an 18mm socket.

15) Remove the screws that hold on the driver's side wheel well liner using a T20 torx bit. Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the circurlar clips that hold the inner liner from the frame rails.

16) Lower the motor so that the 3 bolts that secure the side transmission mount bracket are exposed through the driver's side wheel well. Use a 16mm socket to remove these 3 bolts. Remove the bracket.

17) Remove the 3 bolts that secure the bottom of the transmission bell housing to the oil pan using a 16mm socket.

18 )Remove the bolt that secures the back bottom side of the bell housing to the block using an 18mm socket. It is located right behind the passenger side differential flange and the head faced the passenger side.

19) Remove the bolt on the top backside of the bell housing using an 18mm socket. Remove the nut holdling on the ground wire on the forward transmission bolt. Remove the wire, then use an 18mm Socket to remove the bolt. There shouldn't be any bolt left holding the transmission to the motor.

20) Look on the backside underneath the differential flange where you removed the bolt. If you see a small bolt holding on a metal sheild, remove it using a 10mm socket. If not, it should be a piece of flexible rubber.

21) Remove the transmission. There are a few methods to doing this. Usually, I just crawl underneath the car, with a helper on top. You need to wiggle the transmission off of the input shaft by pulling it towards the driver's side. After it is free, rotate the transmission so that the differential side is facing up. Lower the transmission down, making sure the power steering line is not caught.

22) Remove the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. If you have a Sachs brand clutch, there will be 6 9mm 12point head bolts. If you have a Luk clutch, there will be 12 6mm Triple Square head bolts. Remove the pressure plate and clutch.

23) Install everything in reverse order. Make sure that the clutch is lined up properly so that the input shaft will slide right in. Also, make sure to torque properly and use thread lock when necessary.
    Last edited by Teh Chr!s; 10-08-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    04 TR 24V .:R32 ( Chipped,Intake,Exhaust & Lowered )
    04.5 BMP GLI 2.0T (20V Stroker w/ Built AEB Head )
    96 TR 12V VR6 GTI ( Chipped,Intake,Exhaust & Lowered )

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Banned User

Default Re: 2004 Mk4 1.8T Jetta GLI/GTI Clutch Replacement

Finished my install tonight and this guide was a huge help along with tips from Wilson (volcano) . any tips that might make it flow smoother or easier for the next guy , post em up and tell me where they shood b added
    Last edited by Teh Chr!s; 10-08-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Banned User

Bump

τΏτ™

Good stuff..!
    2009 GTI 2.0T Black Magic
    Waterfest 16 Survivor
    35% Tint - Neuspeed P-Flo Intake(Red) - NewSouth Indigo TurboPod - Neuspeed Torque Mount Insert - 42DD 3" Turbo Back - H&R Premium Coils - ESE color matched side markers - Unitronic Stage 2 - Badgeless grill - Custom license plate mount - Charleston Rims (485/1200) - Forge Front Mount Intercooler (Twintercooler) - SouthBend Stage2 Clutch - H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar - To be continued...

I have to do this but where exactly on the engine are you holding the engine up by?

Also, when you lower the transmission are you like the hulk for you to just get under it and get it out or did I miss a step of something helping with the transmission weight? Since I think the second person only twisted it to help get it out easier?

Banned User

i had a jack with a block of wood inbetween the jack pad and the oil pan and held the engine up that way .... put just enough lift on it to support the engine DONT try to lift the engine .

and the transmission literally is only about 10-15 lbs ... so just grab , twist , and rotate it until it comes out ... it will take a lil bit of effort
    Last edited by Teh Chr!s; 06-17-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Last edited by Frank-i-e; 07-06-2011 at 11:31 PM.

New Dub Cub

Nice looking tutorial. I'm going to order my clutch and look to replace this weekend or next. Just as long as it's easier than the timing belt I will be in good spirits!

Remiknder that this is for a 6spd trans

5spd is almost exactly the same, but the slave cylinder is different

Tapatalk This
    03 GTI 1.8T & 96 GTI 2.0 & 00 Passat Wagon 1.8T

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by M@! View Post
    Nice looking tutorial. I'm going to order my clutch and look to replace this weekend or next. Just as long as it's easier than the timing belt I will be in good spirits!
    if u got any questions hit me or volcano up

what he said
    03 GTI 1.8T & 96 GTI 2.0 & 00 Passat Wagon 1.8T

τΏτ™

Your transmission was only 10-15lbs..? Mine was closer to 50 *sigh
    2009 GTI 2.0T Black Magic
    Waterfest 16 Survivor
    35% Tint - Neuspeed P-Flo Intake(Red) - NewSouth Indigo TurboPod - Neuspeed Torque Mount Insert - 42DD 3" Turbo Back - H&R Premium Coils - ESE color matched side markers - Unitronic Stage 2 - Badgeless grill - Custom license plate mount - Charleston Rims (485/1200) - Forge Front Mount Intercooler (Twintercooler) - SouthBend Stage2 Clutch - H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar - To be continued...

New Dub Cub

Good to know, thanks for the offer to help. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow. It's too hot so I will probably spread it over a few days just working in the morning. What is the weight on a 5spd? I will definitely let you know if I have any problems.

Banned User

Bump

this is essentially the same process for a vr6 correct?
    Ich liebe mein auto
    01 VR6 12v GTI
    ".....Yeah though i walk throught the valley of the shadow of honda...i will fear no turbo........for thou art with me....my torque and my horsepower will comfort me....v-dub 4life"
    DROP IT LOW DROP IT HARD!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GTI-I-Drive View Post
    this is essentially the same process for a vr6 correct?
    Yupp should be very similar if not exactly the same process

Sent From Mah iPhone4 Using Teh Tapatalk B!tches

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Chr!s View Post
    and the transmission literally is only about 10-15 lbs ... so just grab , twist , and rotate it until it comes out ... it will take a lil bit of effort
    I tried to lift Jesse's transmission while it was out and that thing was over 100lbs it seemed like!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Frank-i-e View Post
    I tried to lift Jesse's transmission while it was out and that thing was over 100lbs it seemed like!
    Sounds like its time to put ur purse down and lift

REVIEW STAFF

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Chr!s View Post
    Sounds like its time to put ur purse down and lift
    Lmao
    02 GTi - Totaled
    98 Golf 4 door - Sold
    93 Corrado SLC - Sold
    00 Passat GLS - DD

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo View Post
    Can't get your loose stick into top gear, eh?

Dubber In Training

I know this is an old thread but im gonna have to replace my clutch very soon and i am just wondering how long does it take about? i have mechanical abilites since i do almost all the work on the car and i have 3 days to work on it.

Thanks

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by vur View Post
    I know this is an old thread but im gonna have to replace my clutch very soon and i am just wondering how long does it take about? i have mechanical abilites since i do almost all the work on the car and i have 3 days to work on it.

Thanks
    Lols its an old thread but as long as im here i will answer any questions i can :P

As for the time it takes depends on how good u are with a wrench and if u have a lift handy or not

Obviously its gona take longer laying on ur back in a driveway or garage but on a lift its alot easier to get to things , and obviously if its ur first time doing it ur gona take longer than someone whos done it a few times and knows what bolts to get out and what not to mess with

But overall id say as long as u dont break anything u can do it in 3-8 hours with help from a friend.

One tip to remember which ill edit into this later tonight if i get time .... If ur having trouble reinstalling the transmissions input shaft into the motor end have a friend crank over the main pulley slowly to rotate the splines on the shaft and help line it up

New Dub Cub

I know this is an old thread but i think a few things of information are missing.
    First off i found it much easier to take the whole front of the car off, made for more room to work and allot easier access.

Second before you begin the reasembly process check the clearance of the flywheel in the transmission bell housing. I installed a sahs stage one on my 4dr mk4 1.8t, and i did not check the clearance and have to redo the whole process just to fix it.

Save yourself two days of work and check the clearance because vw had some casting imperfections on some models.

I forgot to take some shots of the transmission to show you how much i had to grind off.
    I found a picture of a similair transmission to mine and circled the parts that were in the way of my clutch.

The two on the right; one near where the starter mounts and one near the bottom were hitting the sahs 14lb flywheel.
    The left circle a little deeper in the transmission bell housing was where the pressure plate cover was rubbing the transmission. It has two nipples sticking out of it that were rubbing the corner.
    Last edited by arvynet; 11-12-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: pictures

Hi Guys, used this guide to change my 2.0 8v GTi clutch. for anyone wondering it's virtually the same process and this guide was really useful!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jamiesgolf View Post
    Hi Guys, used this guide to change my 2.0 8v GTi clutch. for anyone wondering it's virtually the same process and this guide was really useful!
    Yup yup it's the same for all Mk4 for the most part except For the R32

+ Reply to Thread