VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.

Talking Re: VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.

OK, time for the ultimate noob questions, and this looks like the perfect noob thread; a subject that is quite germane for yours truly. All the comments here have given me plenty of things to consider, and if anyone out here has any strong suggestions of advice, Im all ears.

Forgive me for being long-winded, but I won't be getting my 10 GTI for another week, gotta kill some time somehow.

So without further ado

Brief backstory: I am currently the owner of a 96 Accord with 215,000+ miles on it. While Im not trying to boast (youd have to work to get a Japanese four-banger to NOT make it to 200k) I would like to think of myself as capable of taking care of a cars drive train for an extended period of time. I also understand that the seeds planted in the first couple-k will bare fruit for the rest of the engine life. As you can probably tell by now, Im a cheap bastard, as well as someone who can recognize value. Hence the road leading me to the GTI.

So, I live in NC. Test drove a 2-door manual down the street and fell in love. DSG interested me, but it puts the price-point a little higher than I care to go to. I like the manual, it has some nicer throws than the auto press led me to believe. Plus, girlfriend cant drive stick, and this will keep her on the right side of the front seat (dont tell her I said that.)

Problem is, shes looking at her uterus, looking at her watch, looking at the two door, and shaking her head at me when I say we could get a car seat in and out of there no problem. But thats OK, while I prefer the visibility of the 2 door window, I can live with a B-pillar sitting adjacent to my face. Craning my neck when merging left is a small price to pay for a $#!+ eating grin.

Problem #2: Ive done an online inventory search of every dealer from DC to SC, and all the options down here are 2-door auto/manual or 4 door automatic. Remember, Im a cheap bastard.

So here comes the solution, one that keeps my post on the topic of this thread. My favorite uncle happens to work on a VW lot in New Jersey. While he doesnt have a 4 door manual sitting in his lot, hes going to scoop one up for me at a dealership two hours away (which I read: 80-150 miles away.) So the plan is, I fly up there next week, presumably as my car rolls from point A-to-B, hang out with family for a couple days, drive home in my new sweet sweet ride.

Uncle gets a sale, I get a vacation at the Shore with some awesome people, and I get to break in what will likely be the only brand-new high-performance internal combustion engine I will ever own in my life.

Win-win-megawin.

So big question number 1:

- The Sunday after next, I can take I-95 all the way home, keeping my thumbs off cruise control, and keep the RPMs cycling moderately in 5th/6th gear for ~500 miles of superhighway blandness.

OR

- I can take I-95 for ~200 miles, take a detour around DC, and head west to the finest piece of asphalt east of the El Camino Real; a road that the wise call the Blue Ridge Parkway, and fools and Virginians call the Skyline Drive.

Im thinking, depending on my departure time, I can make ~200 miles down those magnificent curves before it gets too dark, and pop back on the superhighway for the last 250 miles home.

Which route is better to break this motor in? Is there a compelling reason to keep to the straight and narrow of I-95?

Additionally, if I initially go down the Blue Ridge Parkway, Ill be breaking in myself as much as the car. I intend to assess the handling and braking of my new vessel for a couple dozen twisty miles, and keep eggshells under my right foot. I think I can satisfy myself keeping the RPMs on the moderate side while the organs gradually drop from my abdominal cavity

Once familiarity and its cousin, confidence, wash over me, should I commence the throttling? Is there any utility to low-gearing it and opening it up, or should I keep her quiet as we break ourselves in?

Big question number 2:

Since this will likely be driven from one lot to another, the keys will probably be dropped in my hand with perhaps as much as 250 miles on the odometer. Given that Im going to tootle around NJ for a couple days, and then drive between 500 and 700 miles after that, should I consider having the oil changed:

(a) at the dealership the day I get it (mileage, between 50-250 miles)
    (b) after tootling around for a couple days, before taking her on the big trip home (mileage between 100-300)
    (c) immediately after my road trip concludes (mileage probably around 1k at this point)
    or (d) when the manual suggests

Big question number 3:

Is it next Friday yet?

Even though Im not in your tribe yet, Id like to thank yall for your advice in advance.

Cackalacka

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Dubber In Training

Default Re: VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.

probably too late for your trip.

Take routes through Delaware, over the bridge tunnel to Norfolk, then routes to either outer banks, then west to your home, or take 64 around Norfolk, to 58 west to I 95, then south to NC. Your call.

Recommend varying the speed with your foot instead of cruise control from 55 to 65, and just maintain through trip.

Thanks for your response, Rogersal, and no, I've got a couple more days till I get my Gran Turismo Iniezione.

To clarify, I'm heading to the geographic center of NC, otherwise known as Raleigh. Problem going the Chesapeake route to the Banks is, it takes an 8 hour drive and makes it a 14 hour one (fairly similar, drive-time, to going mountain route.) In fact, up until they finished parts of 264, it used to take more time to get to parts of the Outer Banks than it did to NJ. Plus, the coastal plains will likely be 10-15 degrees hotter than the Shenandoah Valley, not a trivial matter given the 103 degree days we've been having on the east coast this past week.

While I'm not going to rag out the engine (unless folks say "Go for it, redlining in break-in is peachy,") I'm just curious if there is anything prohibitively foolish to taking a new ride with a couple miles on it up and down twisty mountain roads (speed limit 40-45,) in-between long highway stretches (speed limit mostly 65.) If I do take the highway route, I'll take your advice to heart (keeping it between 55-65.)

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

I think the car enjoyed the route as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Cackalacka View Post

They do that
    Hidden Content
    MKV '06 FSI - DSG, APR Stg 2+, APR HPFP, Eurojet FMIC, APR CAI, Upgraded OEM DV, BSH Catch Can, Euro R32 Tails, AWE Boost Gauge, Bilstein Shocks with H&R Super Sport Springs, APR RSC 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, Teh Chr!s' Engine Mount, Rotiform BLQ's w/ 225/35/19 Nitto555's ---- > 2.SLOW Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cackalacka View Post

They do that

Gratz on the purchase!
    Hidden Content
    MKV '06 FSI - DSG, APR Stg 2+, APR HPFP, Eurojet FMIC, APR CAI, Upgraded OEM DV, BSH Catch Can, Euro R32 Tails, AWE Boost Gauge, Bilstein Shocks with H&R Super Sport Springs, APR RSC 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, Teh Chr!s' Engine Mount, Rotiform BLQ's w/ 225/35/19 Nitto555's ---- > 2.SLOW Hidden Content

Dubber In Training

good for you. Again, have not seen any need other than varying speed ocassionally over trips to satisfy the GTI's needs for oil and breakin.

By the way and as stated before, believe in the old adage, break in fast to accustom your gti to fast (if you know what I mean). I've got almost 27K on my 2009 GIT and it loves 86-90 on cruising the highway at 31-32MPH.

Thanks again, y'all.

And I do believe I stumbled on the proper way to break it in. On the way back from the place of purchase, avoid the sweltering highways that run through swamps and capitals, and head for the hills.

Kept things moving, rowed between 5th and 6th when I rolled through east/central PA and MD/WV. Tried to keep things cool on the superhighway, tried to keep it under 70.

Operative word being try; the closer we got to the Shenandoah valley, the more often I'd look down at the speedometer and freak at how fast the car was taking me (seriously, that felt-hood-dampener thingy is going to get me a speeding ticket in the next three months.)

When we got to the mountain, pretty much held it tight above the speed limit, as the popo's on the BRP are federales, and those guys mean business. Plus it was pretty cloudy/foggy in patches, too.

Still though, the hills and the switchbacks gave my tach plenty of places to dance. Same sensation I got when I slow-danced with that girl in junior high, although not nearly as awkward. On some of the looser bends, you can really feel the differential work its magic. Talking mountain goat.

In a surreal twist, got to try out the butt-warmers in August (got pretty chilly up there, I think the car appreciated my attempts to emulate the weather patterns in its homeland.) And last, but not least, swapped out the new car smell with some mountain mist.

Now that we're back on the flatland, I've had to apologize to the machine and improvise on our commute and the heat. We've crossed 1k, most of it being on the road down, at around 28.8 mpg.

I'll check back into this thread when we cross 30k and give an update, but for the time being, if anyone wants my opinion on how to break into a new Gran Turismo Iniezione, my advice is as follows:

Find the nearest mountain with a bunch of curves and drive the hell out of it before the deer come out for the evening.

OK, it hasn't been 30k, but had to say, the mountains were so nice, had to hit them twice. Went back up for a second helping of mountain roads the following weekend. We crossed 2k miles in just under 10 days of ownership. I really don't know how folks with GTIs in the midwest or south Florida can cope.

Ok, so I was on a test drive today with a GTI pro at the dealership and I decided to bring up this topic. He went on to explain that it is best to "drive conservatively for at least 600 miles." I like to believe that he knows his stuff and that is the best route to take when driving a brand spankin new GTI. Thought I'd share my story and 2c.
    2011 United Gray DSG 4 Door
    USP Motorsports DP || JOM Blueline coilovers || Nesuspeed P-Flo intake (red) ||Pwrhaus DV Spacer
    Blacked out tail lights and VW emblems || Red and white LEDs || And probably some more small things
    Hidden Content

VDubber

Default Re: Break n Period.. way 2 long

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo View Post
    You really shouldn't be driving it like an old granny during break in period. I mean don't drive it like it's stolen either, but I hear the best way is to vary what point you shift at. Drive it once shifting low, like 3000 RPMs. The next time, shift more around 4000. A few times push it a little closer to redline. If you don't ever push it past 4000 for the first 600 miles your car will get used to being driven by a girl.
    Lol, that makes me laugh because I just got back from letting the wife drive my gti. She drove the piss out of it after it was warm, I gave her the green light to do so. I baby it worse than a girl. I think I'm going to vary the rpms a bit more after reading this thread.

Dubber In Training

I rev'd the heck out of mine during the test drive,
    deactivated the traction control,
    drifted a little going hard into a turn
    got pulled over by the cops for speeding.
    Then I bought the car and took it home.
    (True story) no ticket just a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
    You're brilliant aren't ya?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by volcano Hidden Content
    well im a blob and im comfortable in my mk4
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by D.Light
    I LOVE GTI"S AND MMA AND I SMOKE CRACK LOTS AND LOTS OF CRACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK NEEEGGGGGRRROOOOOOOOOEESSSSS
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by csmith1957
    Bang bang tang!!

Uh oh watch out
    Hidden Content
    Drummer for Hidden Content
    (Sulfur EP now available on Hidden Content and Hidden Content )
    OSS!

DAS IST MEIN FAST

Get it out if the way. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Hidden Content 2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

Last edited by hcappie; 01-03-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Whatever method you choose to break in your GTI just remember to not stress over if you did it the best way. Here are some things you may have not or do not want to consider.

Think about the "test" drive that gets done to these cars by perspective buyers. The salesman starts up the car and they go. Do you think every test drive waited for the engine oil and coolant temp to build up and stabilize? Probably not. How long are test drives.... maybe 6 minutes then the car is turned off. Chances are your rings were seated long before you started your "break in period".

What will the prospective buyer do to this new turbo powered car..... Test the boost and floor the accelerator to feel the amount of pickup this shiny new car has. Do you think they kept the revs low? Probably not,,,,

The salesman will probably tell the prospective buyer to do a brake check and feel the anti lock system and how smooth and strong it is. Chances are your brakes were bedded in long before you started your "break in period".

This are some of the things that may have been done to your new car before you ever laid eyes on it. I test drove speed 3, WRX and the GTI, I compared the acceleration, breaking, and stability control of all three cars. I did not abuse the cars but I answered questions I had about them with the short test drive. I am sure my test drives are more spirited than some of you guys doing your "break in period" drive and more tame than other drivers.

These cars are a lot stronger than you may realize, sure don't get stupid with it but don't stress over if your doing the best.
    I am a newbie to the forum and I have to say this is by far the best response to the break-in of the engine. There are many opposing schools of thought, and ultimately it's proper maintenance and taking care of your vehicle that will decide how long and healthy a life it enjoys.

Dubber In Training

Default Re: Break-in period

Quote Originally Posted by MicMoor77 View Post
    I'm sure whoever test drove your car before you bought it rung it out a few times too. You should be okay.

That's just the thing... most new cars accumulate 30 to 100 miles on them from test drives and you know people who don't own the car are going to run them hard. I don't worry about it too much but am going to be reasonable for the first 1000 miles. I took it to redline once so far ... i think it's fine to load the motor hard and then let take it easy again. I got in a race in my new Acura RSX-S when I first got that car and was bouncing off the rev limiter with 80 miles on the clock. Today the car has 153K miles and runs strong as ever.

Dubber In Training

Default Re: Break-in period

Haven't been back to the forum in a while.

Just went over 75K miles on my second United Gray GTI. Still running strong and still getting around 31 MPG on trips. Visited the red line and the top speed at times during its 3 year run, but still running strong and solid. Always took the break in slow, but then drove it as I always do... fast, but not beating it getting it there. Waiting on the 2014's to come out to replace the 2009. The extra 20 HP and 40 or so torques will be nice without sacrificing mileage (much?). Shame it won't come in united gray as the previous two. Thought about a new WRX and Focus ST, but the Dub's been just too good to change now (or ever?).

Dubber In Training

New cars off the end of assembly line get floored and even squeal tires a little. Usually fluids are nice and warm. Then followed by lots of idle time. I couldn't believe this but was told it was true by some person who worked at a Honda plant in Marietta OH. Maybe the people who park VWs cars are kinder. Should VW put something in the programming of the car to prevent 100% throttle for the first few miles? The first 250 miles?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5