VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.

New Dub Cub

Default VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.

Hi All,

My MkV GTI DSG is due for delivery in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking for tips for breaking in the car.

Any help appreciated, thanks !!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Dubster

Default Re: Breaking in new GTI engine, how to and tips ?

The owner's manual says to go easy on it for the first 600 miles, and gradually build up to 1000 miles.
    2006 GTI<br />1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16<br />1984 Porsche 944<br />1984 Mercedes 300GD

What does that really mean, anyway? Do you have to drive like a granny, or does it just mean no red-lining it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Dubster

I just put "my" redline at 4k rpm and did most of my shifting under 3k. I belive it is mostly personal preference. I'm at 2300 miles now and the fuel economy keeps increasing, the exhaust seems to be getting louder, and the power seems to be increasing as well.
    2006 GTI<br />1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16<br />1984 Porsche 944<br />1984 Mercedes 300GD

Dubber In Training

When I picked mine up the sales person said "Just thrash it, thats what it was built for!" However as stated previously the manual states run it in for the first 1-2K. I took the advice of the manual and changed gear around the 3k mark. The acceleration put a smile on my face every time, even changing at lower revs!!

Whoever owns the GTI used for the wallpaper on the main page (with the 160mph warning) sure didn't wait to break it in. Says it's only got 308 miles on it.

VDubber

Quote Originally Posted by Thalo
    Whoever owns the GTI used for the wallpaper on the main page (with the 160mph warning) sure didn't wait to break it in. Says it's only got 308 miles on it.
    it's a fake

Dubster

i shifted mine at no more then 4000 rpms everytime...well 2x i didnt, but considering it was 600 miles, 2 times isnt that bad
    2006 VW GTI Silver Package 2<br /><br />Previous cars (and i am only 29)<br />2004 Mazda Rx-8<br />2001 Ford Explorer<br />1999 Ford Ranger 3.0<br />1995 Ford T-Bird<br />1989 Pontiac Firebird<br />1988 Ford T-Bird<br />1984 Ford T-Bird

ok ryte now im at 1.3k miles and ever since i got it i kept every shift at a different number. i read sumwhere dats a good way to break in a new car.ever since then my exhaust seems louder, and so does the turbo. but by summer i plan to have a chip in, and a bov. i wish this came in a 4 wheel drive...darn..does n e wun know if the r36 (i heard dats goin to be the new name of the r 32) is going to be 4 wheel? i also heard it was going to be a v6?

Definitely gonna be a V6 (I would assume the 36 is for 3.6L, which would have to be a V6). Probably will be 4wd, I think the R32 is.

Definitely gonna be a V6 (I would assume the 36 is for 3.6L, which would have to be a V6). Probably will be 4wd, I think the R32 is.
    R32 = 3.2l V6, AWD, should be in the states late summer-ish.

R36 = 3.6l V6, AWD, tranny issues are preventing it's production.

VDubber

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones
    R32 = 3.2l V6, AWD, should be in the states late summer-ish.

R36 = 3.6l V6, AWD, tranny issues are preventing it's production.
    Awww do you have any estimate on the price of the R32 when it comes out here...

#dp
    &quot;We are the people that our parents warned us about&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by GTI

#dp
    Same as previous versions, around 30k USD.

VDubber

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones
    Quote Originally Posted by GTI

#dp
    Same as previous versions, around 30k USD.

Yeah that's what my friend says too.. ok Awesome Thanks!

#dp
    &quot;We are the people that our parents warned us about&quot;

I configured an R32 on the German VW site at around 50K Euro.

the new car and driver has a 2 page write up on the new R32 as well as the A3 3.2 quattro which shares the same mechanics if you're interested. They address most issues as well as talk about the problems with the R36 (the larger transmission has trouble fitting on the golf chassis).
    MkV, Reflex Silver, ~282 hp, ~338 ft.lbs.&nbsp; <br />HAS:&nbsp; <br />&nbsp;&nbsp; APR DPP ECU upgrade<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; Carbonio CAI<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; APR Turbo-back exhaust<br />SOON TO HAVE:<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; KO4 Turbo upgrade<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; New rims

Default Break in time.

Hi. im new around here and am picking up my black GTI this weekend and am going to proceed to drive the poop out of it. I have heard a lot about break-in periods being a total fabrication and that they are really uneccesary. I know that BMW's have no break-in period but i want to hear what others really think. The break-in period on the gti is 600?

Jedi Dubber

Default Re: Break in time.

This one gets tossed all over the place. I played nice with mine, like the manual says. Some people say show it what it's really gonna be like. I figured that the people who made it should at least be close to how it should work. But watch this, the arguments for and against will continue:
    Do purists still eat raw meat because that's what man did before fire? By all means, then, be a purist, but I'll take progress. I love my DSG!

GTfly time

you should break it in somewhat. for how long i do not know. maybe 2-3 tanks of gas. just to get everything running well. then unleash the beast

DubMeister

I hit 1000 miles today, so I consider it fully broken in now.

Woohoo, what a milestone (pun intended).
    Race with the best, die like the rest! Or you could just lose, that works too.<br /><br />Hidden Content

The information you seek is in the manual and at least a dozen other threads.

Please search next time you have a question. Resort to making a thread once all other avenues have been exhausted.

DubMeister

It doesn't seem all that faster to me, and money wise, it seems too steep.

I'll stick with my trusty Candy White '06 GTI MkV, who loves me for me and not just for my body.
    Race with the best, die like the rest! Or you could just lose, that works too.<br /><br />Hidden Content

Default Break-in period

Has anyone accidently driven his/her new Mk5 hard before the break-in period was over? The owner's manual says that the break-in period is up to 600 miles. I redlined it once before realizing that there was a soft period. Can this hurt the engine in any way? I am now at the 600 mile mark.

Default Re: Break-in period

I'm sure whoever test drove your car before you bought it rung it out a few times too. You should be okay.

Dubber In Training

I just got mine and was worried about the same thing. I pushed it pretty hard when I test drove it, then maybe once or twice before the 600 mile mark.

From what I've heard, it's good to drive it nice and easy most of the time (especially when it's cold). But you need to push the engine a bit too because it puts higher pressure in the cylinders and allows the rings to seat properly. I'm at over 2000 miles and the car is great so I wouldn't worry, just be a little easy on it even if your fast isn't happy.

I drove it hard, but it wasn't by accident. Do a search on the forum for topics on break in period and you'll find that the consensus is that the "drive it easy the first 600 miles" thing is a myth.

Dubber In Training

Default Break n Period.. way 2 long

just got my 07 GTI and my god , the break n period is going so slow. i wanna see what this thing will do. after reading all the kewl stories here i cant wait. i am shifting b4 3500 rpm's not going over 70 mpr. very painful indeed. just wanted to share my depression.. see u all around SoCal

Jedi Dubber

Default Re: Break n Period.. way 2 long

how long are you breaking it in for?
    &quot;Mezmerize the simple minded, Propaganda leaves us blinded&quot;<br /><br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - System of a Down <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Hypnotize

You really shouldn't be driving it like an old granny during break in period. I mean don't drive it like it's stolen either, but I hear the best way is to vary what point you shift at. Drive it once shifting low, like 3000 RPMs. The next time, shift more around 4000. A few times push it a little closer to redline. If you don't ever push it past 4000 for the first 600 miles your car will get used to being driven by a girl.

Dubber In Training

Just placed a deposit for my mkV today.. getting it in 2 weeks! Is the above post a true story?
    07&#039; GTI (candy white, DSG)<br />01&#039; Focus ZX3 (blue)

Dubber In Training

I ve thought about it both ways really. i just have 180 miles on her. i just want to get on her a little bit. However, its going into the shop. some A&^%%^%Hole back up into the front and destroyed the grill and front bumber. hit and run type. just my luck..

VDubber

You really shouldn't be driving it like an old granny during break in period. I mean don't drive it like it's stolen either, but I hear the best way is to vary what point you shift at. Drive it once shifting low, like 3000 RPMs. The next time, shift more around 4000. A few times push it a little closer to redline. If you don't ever push it past 4000 for the first 600 miles your car will get used to being driven by a girl.
    hey hey hey...watch it there, im a girl and i dont drive like a "girl"...hahah. actually, i heard that it's best when you're breaking in a car to vary the RPM's for the first 500 miles, dont stay at just a constant RPM for toooo long. best thing to do is take it on a trip on the open road where you can really vary the RPMs and also it's good to limit the number of starts. when i get my little gti im definatly takin it out to like the middle of no where so i can really break it in well. but yea, i do agree with the shifting at diff RPMs and going fast then slow so the engine can get used to doing 300 mph (haha, jk)
    I find that ducks opinion of me is very much influenced on whether or not I have bread...

DubMeister

Where do you plan to take it?

Dubber In Training

not sure where to take it, some where in sorrento valley maybe.. Amato's ?

Dubber In Training

What were the "break in" instructions from the sales when picking up your car?
    07&#039; GTI (candy white, DSG)<br />01&#039; Focus ZX3 (blue)

VDubber

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny
    Where do you plan to take it?
    if that question was for me regarding the break in...i'll either take it out to Vegas, up the coast (i live in los angeles), or out to the desert somewhere...
    I find that ducks opinion of me is very much influenced on whether or not I have bread...

Mod!

What are you guys' opinions on breaking in the car? I hear you're supposed to wait a couple thousand miles before you really let her rip. But i couldn't help it. I raced 4 cars today and beat them all.. granted they weren't really that fast...but they challenged me... so I couldn't turn that down. It was an 89 Civic Hatchback, a 95-ish Integra an 02 OZ Rally and a 98 Corrolla. They were all my friends so it was a lot of fun. The Civic and Integra gave me the most run for my money since they were both modded. But for some reason when I slammed on the gas, it hesistated when I was racing the Integra, so i basically gave him a head start and i still beat him. But does anyone know why it hesitated?

Should I have waited to race people?

New Dub Cub

I got the car yesterday and i haven't been able to stop flooring it and now i read this you guys have me scared ****less inow have 400 miles on the car and all ive done for the past day is playing around peeling out and now i regret it with my life any advice?
    I LOVE MY FAST!!!!!!

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidc3519
    I got the car yesterday and i haven't been able to stop flooring it and now i read this you guys have me scared ****less inow have 400 miles on the car and all ive done for the past day is playing around peeling out and now i regret it with my life any advice?

Simple, take it easy for a while.
    2006 Shadow Blue GLI Package 2 DSG.<br /><br />SMU 2011.

Mod!

Quote Originally Posted by davidc3519
    You and me both bro. But I have decided no racing until I hit 1,500.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast