VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.

Default Re: Engine break-in period discussion.

I got my car with 63 miles on it , it has 348 now. already i had it at 6000 rpm a couple of times. I raced a BMW and went 10 mph under the recomended do not pass speed of 120 during break in. I only use "D" mode for now. I put it in "S" once to see if my LC worked and it did not , so I got that fixed put it in "S" again to test it but did not launch. I think driving fast at a smooth pace is fine. and hitting 6000 rpm for like 1 half of a second is ok too. just dont hang on it at red line for a long time with the tiptronic while it is new.
    VW Dune Buggy,72 Nova, 76 Datsun B 210, 73 Nova, 56 Chevy 2 door wagon  (454/ 4 spd stick) , 77 Malibu,76 El Camino, 85 Civic, 87 Perlude, 90 5.0 Ford Mustang, 66  Malibu,93 Porsche 911, 96 Z28 Camero, 95 Ford Ranger, 03 Toyata Tundra, and then the 2007 VW GTI my fav so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFrogPosse
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonkid07
    I'm about to hit the 5000 mark to get my oil changed. Still running strong... seems better than when I first got it. Exhaust is louder as well as the engine.

Man... only 3 months and 5000 miles? I need to calm down. I had my last car for 3 years and only put 25,000 on it.
    Four months and 8600 miles for me. I need to start riding my bike half the time.
    LOL, that's nothing........try 7 days old about to hit 1k miles......it's just WAY to much fun to drive this thing!
    Check out my rides - www.pimpmyauto.com

Dubber In Training

Im going to go pick my new GTI in 2 days; its being driven from another dealership about 40 miles away. Who ever went to go get it for me better not be thrashing it all the way back to the dealership...

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

40 miles...I would have gone to get it myself. Hell--I almost drove 700 to pick up mine.
    "You don't have to tell me when I'm right. I generally assume I am."

'07 BM 4-Door \\ P-flow, Turbo Discharge, Hi-flow Intercooler Pipe, Vent Boost Gauge, Eibach Pro-Kit, Forge adj Short Shift, Autotech Rear Sway Bar

VIP Member

Go pick it up yourself if possible. I work at a dealership and everybody loves to thrash the cars, trust me.
    2006 Shadow Blue GLI Package 2 DSG.<br /><br />SMU 2011.

DAS IST MEIN FAST

i drove about 200 Ks to get my car and my wife had to drive the other one back she was not happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy at alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll at least the other car i had was a 93 vw golf III
    Hidden Content 2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

i just got a new gti 4 door with dsg and about 49 miles on it, and i want to know how i should drive for the first 1k miles, when can i start really gassin it??

DAS IST MEIN FAST

gtiman
    you should wait about 500 miles before you should start gasing it
    Hidden Content 2007 VW GTI APR STAGE(DYNOED AT 450CHP ON 95 OCT; 2005 AUDI S4 (sold); 2012 VW JETTA (sold)1965 FORD GALAXIE 500 XL CONVERTABLE 4 ON THE FLOOR, 390 CUBIC INCH MOTOR, DODGE VIPER RED; 2013 Chevy traverse 2LT.

Dubber In Training

For best possible power and reliability new engines should be run HARD. Click for details.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Shaken not stirred...

Quote Originally Posted by Globalpack
    For best possible power and reliability new engines should be run HARD. Click for details.

I agree with almost everything except the heat cycles (due to the fact of we have turbos). I've used that theory to break in my last two bikes.

You have to be careful with using a petro oil, becuase it will void your warranty if VW finds out. I'm curious to know if the break-in oil is full synthetic or 50/50.
    ----------
    Hidden Content

Dubber In Training

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon

I agree with almost everything except the heat cycles (due to the fact of we have turbos). I've used that theory to break in my last two bikes.

You have to be careful with using a petro oil, becuase it will void your warranty if VW finds out. I'm curious to know if the break-in oil is full synthetic or 50/50.
    Unfortunately my car was already broken in when I got it (it had 250 miles) so doing the Motoman method wasn't an option since the car was passed the short window. But I do have some comfort in knowing my car was likely run hard during test drives.

On heating cycles actually it says to let the engine cool ONLY when doing the break-in on a dyno in order to prevent overheating, and when doing break-in on the street or track there is no need to cool the motor off.

is there anyting i should be aware of during my break inso wait till i hit about 500 miles before i start to run her hard.?

Dubber In Training

Read most of the responses here. The break-in period is for letting the rings seat in the combustion liners and for the turbine bearings to seat and wear properly. The downside of wailing on the car without a break-in is increased oil consumption from leaking past the seals/ rings. Thia common problem with buying a used STi or Evo, as they have the same break-in that most people ignore.

Just my $0.02.

2008 Candy White MkV GTI 6-Speed (currently being built)<br />2002 Artic White Camaro Z28 M6 single turbo Hidden Content

it's butt****ingtime someone quoted the mototune article... i was reading the thread from start to finish and couldn't believe this hadn't come up yet -it was pretty painful.

this guy, moto-man or whatever, is spot on about modern manufacturing techniques and has some very sound logic behind his assumptions... this has even gotten the attention of the motortrend editors in their technologue section a while back.

he's got some other good articles on his site too and backs up most of his assumptions with real testing (nothing analytical though)... he uses the phrase "think outside of the box" too much though.

Default Re: VW GTI 2.0t Engine break-in period discussion.

Unfortunately, my car had over 200 miles on it when I bought it. He's saying the first 20 miles is the most critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoterragaia
    Unfortunately, my car had over 200 miles on it when I bought it. He's saying the first 20 miles is the most critical.
    i hear ya... mine had over 400 on it. i'm in southern MD, and they drove it in from pittsburgh, PA. the salesman that brought it in had the windows down, radio blasted (with bass and treble knobs turned all the way up), and ~22 avg. mpg on the MFD over a 200 mile range -so i know he was having fun with my car. i felt raped and wanted to punch the guy out.

but buying an outgoing '06, i'm sure my car had gone through many test drives from prospective buyers, all of whome probably opened the thing up a bit. i hate to think there were people tooling around in my car before i bought it... but it probably lead to excellant pisting ring sealing.

Does anyone here know weather VW does dyno testing of their engines during production? I know porsche does, and VW is in real tight with them (seeing as how they're pretty much owned by them).

Dubber In Training

What I did with my break in period is see how many miles I could push out of a tank of gas until it's broke in that way you drive it easy...

Dubber In Training

I heard that when breaking in a car letting it idle as little as possible is probably the most important thing. What I am wondering is what about driving through rush hour traffic? I live in BC so I have to take hwy 1 everyday to get to work, will driving it probably no faster than 50km/h for about an hour everyday be bad? Should I take it out for a thrashing on the weekends? Or can I just sit in rush hour reving the engine to about 2500rpm when traffic has come to a standstill?

Quote Originally Posted by Blocko
    I heard that when breaking in a car letting it idle as little as possible is probably the most important thing. What I am wondering is what about driving through rush hour traffic? I live in BC so I have to take hwy 1 everyday to get to work, will driving it probably no faster than 50km/h for about an hour everyday be bad? Should I take it out for a thrashing on the weekends? Or can I just sit in rush hour reving the engine to about 2500rpm when traffic has come to a standstill?
    That's rubbish. The only thing you need to be careful with is driving it too hard for the first thousand miles or so. I've never heard of driving it too gently.

Shaken not stirred...

It's not idling that will cause an issue, but let's say your brand spankin new GTI and you decide to go on a road trip:

You want to vary RPMs and NOT use the cruise control.
    ----------
    Hidden Content

GTI Master

I read the mototune article and found it interesting. A couple of questions:

1. VW designs and stands behind the engines, so wouldn't they run it in the factory to seal the rings correctly before the engine was even delivered?

2. Can the on board computer track the engine use back to the time of ownership. In other words, could VW tell if you ran the engine contrary to the manual? Is it like a black box in an airplane? Can you see it with Vagcom?

Shaken not stirred...

Quote Originally Posted by uncle dude
    I read the mototune article and found it interesting. A couple of questions:

1. VW designs and stands behind the engines, so wouldn't they run it in the factory to seal the rings correctly before the engine was even delivered?

2. Can the on board computer track the engine use back to the time of ownership. In other words, could VW tell if you ran the engine contrary to the manual? Is it like a black box in an airplane? Can you see it with Vagcom?
    On #1 They do have a break in procedure/QA test at the factory... I don't know the specifics.
    #2 I'm sure they can see if the speed limiter was hit. I just talked to someone the other day who mention some guy bought a brand new vet and ran it up to Reno the first day he got it, at 130-150MPH and blew his motor. GM refused to warranty the repair. Whoops!
    ----------
    Hidden Content

I seriously doubt that any ECU out there will log engine speed over the life of the car (or even between service intervals). The most I would expect is that they reserve one memory word for, say, the highest rpm achieved (kinda like a peak-hold tach). If that is the case, then if your engine blew during the manufacturer's recommended break-in period, they would be able to check and see that you had hit 6000 (or whatever), in which case you didn't follow their break-in instructions so they might not have to honor the warranty. On the other hand, if your engine blows after the break-in period, and they read the max RPM at 6000, what can they say? If the engine can't handle 6000 the redline needs to be moved.

Worst case scenario would involve a second word in the ECU's memory which might record the highest RPM hit during the first 5000 miles. Having 6000 RPM stored here would be like getting a tattoo on your ass that says "I stole $10 from my school fundraiser in the third grade." Not a big deal, but a permanent tell-tale; and of course could be removed, but not necessarily easily.

Anyway, this could all be answered by a friend of a friend of someone on this forum who works for VW or a dealer service center.
    "You don't have to tell me when I'm right. I generally assume I am."

'07 BM 4-Door \\ P-flow, Turbo Discharge, Hi-flow Intercooler Pipe, Vent Boost Gauge, Eibach Pro-Kit, Forge adj Short Shift, Autotech Rear Sway Bar

VDubber

Just got my GTI, Has 64 miles on it. Probably hard test-drive miles over the past 3-4 months.

I've been mostly cruising and taking it easy, with a couple of 4 or 5 second bursts of speed for the rush. Considering I know it probably got driven hard on test-drives, I'm not too worried about giving it some bursts, considering overall I've been driving it easy.

Considering my mileage, and my driving style, bottom line.... when I should I start to really open up on it? 600, 1000? (Also when can I look forward to that better gas mileage/louder engine?)
    2007 DSG Black Magic - APR Stage 1 - Neuspeed P-Flo - Newsouth Boost Guage - Parrot Bluetooth Kit w/ Steering Wheel Adapter

Shaken not stirred...

Quote Originally Posted by alanrumpf
    Just got my GTI, Has 64 miles on it. Probably hard test-drive miles over the past 3-4 months.

I've been mostly cruising and taking it easy, with a couple of 4 or 5 second bursts of speed for the rush. Considering I know it probably got driven hard on test-drives, I'm not too worried about giving it some bursts, considering overall I've been driving it easy.

Considering my mileage, and my driving style, bottom line.... when I should I start to really open up on it? 600, 1000? (Also when can I look forward to that better gas mileage/louder engine?)
    Dump your oil before 500 miles- use the factory recommended oil and filter. Don't use the cruise control or drive at the same speed. Variation is the key for the first 1K.

Keep an eye on your oil levels- check every week for the first few months
    ----------
    Hidden Content

VDubber

Dump oil before 500 miles?
    2007 DSG Black Magic - APR Stage 1 - Neuspeed P-Flo - Newsouth Boost Guage - Parrot Bluetooth Kit w/ Steering Wheel Adapter

Shaken not stirred...

Change the oil and filter to get rid of any nasty bits floating around in there.
    ----------
    Hidden Content

VDubber

Change the oil and filter to get rid of any nasty bits floating around in there.
    No, I just meant why 500 miles and not 3000 like I was planning on? I guess it has been sitting on the lot for a couple months, but 500 seems a little early, no?

Shaken not stirred...

No, I just meant why 500 miles and not 3000 like I was planning on? I guess it has been sitting on the lot for a couple months, but 500 seems a little early, no?
    It's up to you... VW says you don't have to do it until 5K miles...
    ----------
    Hidden Content

You got it right. I may be young but i have been around engines a long part of my life. I have bulit several race motors and i would never do what he says 100%. When you first start an engine, you always let it warm up no matter what. But with a race motor or any for that matter, you let it warm up to temp at idle, rev to like 1500-2000 for a minute or so, let off. Then let idle for a couple of minutes and then rev it again but this time to about 4000ish and hold for around 30secs or so. Then do a couple of quick full rpm ramps of the throttle and then shut it off. Change the oil and filter and cut the oil filter in half to check for metal shavings and also the oil as well. There should be a small pinch or so of fine shavings over all if any. If theres any big chunks.........well thats not good. There shouldn't be if it was put together correctly. I forgot, this should all be done on 50/50syn,normal, or straight normal cheap like 30w or 40w(depends on engine).
    Now after the filter change and oil, take new oil (50%syn or normal) and put it back in and take the car or vehicle for a test drive. Drive it normal throttle be be very up and down with the rpms. Like running it at 4k on the highway, then jump to 3k, then another mile later put it to 5k and so on, be very consistintly unstable. Drive to a big hill or down grade and when on the hill(make sure no one is behind you) put in in a low gear that will get the rpms high like 5k, and let off the gas and let it compression brake all the way down the hill. Do this several times. When your done, do some 1/2-3/4 throttle pulls and compression braking right after and then drive it normaly sparatic again until your next stopping point. Let the enigine cool and take lunch or something......... .
    Start up the engine again and let it fully warm, then open it up a few times(100% throttle)May go show your buddys how fast your new car is. After that, don't drive it hard but be very sparatic on the rpms until next oil change(around 500miles).
    Change the oil again and cut the filter apart to make sure that there is no big shavings and reoil and filter.(You might find another pinch or so of fine shavings, but don't be alarmed). Drive it normal but sparatic with the rpms until 3K or so and every chance you get do the compression engine braking when you can. Sometimes drive it soft, other medium and maybe once in a great while open it up every couple hundred miles or more. At around 3K, drive it how you want to, but remember that if you drive an engine hard all of the time, it will eventially fail, especially with high compression ratios such as turbos and blowers.
    I gaurantee you that you engine will last a long time with proper break in and normal driving. I have a engine right now that is pushing 14-15psi of boost on a stock bottom end including aluminum pistons and I have had no major problems.

But just remember one thing, its your car so drive it how you want to but be prepared to take any conquences for you actions.
    I almost forgot, after that 3K period run full synthetic or 50/50 or whatever you want to.

OK, i dont believe this guy's b.s. entirely. A couple things he did get right was changing the oil after 20 miles and then again after 500 and then normal 3k-5k after that.
    A Great man once said......&quot;I will take care of my car. At the same time I&#39;m going to have some fun every once in a while, especially when some ricer with a fart can tries to race me.&quot; I love this guy.<br />-kryptonkid07

GTI Master

Day 2, and it has stopped raining

Mine had 23 km's on it when I picked it up. I have read this thread twice, and the manual. I think I will keep the tac under 4,000 for the first 1000 km's, but it is sure hard not to hear that turbo once and a while. Sounds like the car is basically idiot proof, and as long as you aren't a complete animal it should be fine. Glad to hear the exhaust gets louder, as I thought the car was quieter than I remembered when I picked it up.

DubMeister

Wow, that totally snuc up on me. It did get louder didn't it...

Got my '08 GTI DSG on the 10th of October. It had 61 miles when I got it. I now have 3038. So i've roughly put on 2978 miles on it in about 3.5 weeks. I live about 120 miles from the dealership that i got it at. The first night i almost got pulled over, put I did punch it a few times. But by that weekend I had to show it off to my buddies. Needless to say they were impressed. I was under 1000 miles when I redlined it for the first time, and the 2nd, 3rd..... I didn't baby it for the breakin period. There were times when I took it easy, but those first few days were fun. But I remember how I test drove the farenheiht, i was not nice to it. needed to see what it could do. And mine already had 61. So I could only imagine what everyone else before me did to it. I'm a little more even keel now. I punch it when i need to.

Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner VEGAS FAHRENHEIT's Avatar

My dad used to be an engineer at Ford in Belgium - his advice always was to drive it hard regularly during the break in period.

His exact words: if something is not put together correctly, it will break then, better early than after your warranty is over.

His advice worked so far for me - my last car had a a faulty break system, and I wouldn't probably have noticed it if I didn't perform an emergency stop during the first week. (The breaks worked fine during regular driving)

I guess I can agree to that to a certain extent
    New South VDO Boost Gauge, Carbonio CAI

Well.........it is still your car, treat it how you want. But don't be suprised if something does break.
    A Great man once said......&quot;I will take care of my car. At the same time I&#39;m going to have some fun every once in a while, especially when some ricer with a fart can tries to race me.&quot; I love this guy.<br />-kryptonkid07

I been drivin the **** outta my fast since I left the dealer. break it in like it will be driven its whole life. over 10k miles already.

New Dub Cub

What weight oil and type is in the crank at delivery? Thanks

Shaken not stirred...

Quote Originally Posted by Manny So View Post
    What weight oil and type is in the crank at delivery? Thanks
    I'm gonna ASSume it's the same oil they recomend running in the motor. As far as I know, there is no special break-in oil at delivery.
    ----------
    Hidden Content

Fahrenheit GTI Owner banditscout's Avatar

I can't imagine it being different either.
    Hidden Content
    GIAC X-Chip, Neuspeed P-Flo SRI, Eurojet PCV Fix, New South Performance Column Mounted Boost Gauge, AS OF TODAY- GIAC DSG REFLASH (AMAZING!!)*

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast