Brake Booster
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Thread: Brake Booster

Default Brake Booster

Brake booster: A mechanical device (usually vacuum operated) that reduces the pedal pressure required by the driver when applying the brakes. Vacuum operated systems obtain the necessary vacuum from the intake manifold. Some vehicles have electric motors to develop additional vacuum under certain operating conditions.
    Have a Fast Day..........
    Its better to burn out than to fade away!
    It's the scheisse.
    Auf Wiedersehen, sucka.
    The GTI MkV. Pre-tuned in Deutschland

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

VDubber

Default Re: Brake Booster

hmm, i don't like the GTI brake too much. I mean it brakes great but the feeling is a bit too weak. I have a alfa 145 sport which has a really nice and sportive response, which i like. But the GTI has a soft brake. I'd like it harder, but that's just my opinion

I have to agree with you on that one. The brakes seem weak, almost mushy. At times, I've ended up stopping nearly IN the intersection because of poor brake response.

Dubster

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones
    I have to agree with you on that one. The brakes seem weak, almost mushy. At times, I've ended up stopping nearly IN the intersection because of poor brake response.
    That doesn't sound safe, I think I would take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

I haven't noticed the brakes feeling real mushy. Some stainless brake lines would help though.
    2006 GTI<br />1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16<br />1984 Porsche 944<br />1984 Mercedes 300GD

Not spongy, like there's air in the lines or anything, just not really as responsive as I was hoping for/expecting.

Could be completely in my head, though.

VDubber

right. i once drove a bit too fast...it was wet. I had to brake, cause there was someone standig in front of me. Well it was pretty close. not because of the car, just because you have to push the pedal quite hard to get an apropriate braking... :/ Normally the tires would have stood still with that pressure on the brake, but not with the GTI. Strange, but that's normal, not a factory failure.

VDubber

hmpf, today again. I drove about 180 kmh on the autobahn and had to brake quite "hard" (it wasn't that bad) and the street was very wet. I had to push the brake so hard to get some adapted braking and there is no response on the pedal. I can never calculate how hard I have to push and it feels like the car can't brake, althoug yu just have to push even harder...very strange :/

I'll look into wether or not there's a way to adjust that. There may be a way to get the booster to pull more vacuum. But yeah, I've noticed that too, though I am getting used to it at this point. Plus I don't have the autobahn to worry about. Top speed here's about 70mph (113 kph or so).

VIP Member

The Gti break is great but it does feel a little weat. Maybe if the brake system was larger it would be better. Bigger brake pads. roders, calipars and etc.
    2006 Black Magic MKV 6speed

After doing some research, I discovered that this whole soft brake issue was done somewhat intentionally. Previous owners complained that the brake pads in earlier models created too much dust. So for the MkV's, a low dust compound pad was used. A result of that lower dust is less bite when you apply the break.

Meh, I'll go spend the $60 on some ceramic pads or something...

VIP Member

how much of a differnece are those pads from the MKV's?
    2006 Black Magic MKV 6speed

We also have a 2001 Jetta and the braking is "soft" in that car as well. I think it's just a Vee Dub thing and you just don't understand.
    '06 MkV - Pkg 2 &amp; DSG rollin' on 18's<br />*VagCom*

Quote Originally Posted by zulu
    We also have a 2001 Jetta and the braking is "soft" in that car as well. I think it's just a Vee Dub thing and you just don't understand.
    My girlfriend's '02 New Bettle doesn't have that problem and neither did my '02 GTI or my '91 Corrado

Brakes in my GTI are much more powerful than the rusted up old brakes in my '97 Jetta.

(on the left)

Quote Originally Posted by clavos
    That doesn't sound safe, I think I would take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

I haven't noticed the brakes feeling real mushy. Some stainless brake lines would help though.
    I have also noticed the brakes mushy problem too and I was told to swap out break lines for steel braded ones and also to get high temp brake fluid. I was told under heavy use normal break fluid tends to heat up and become thin making you loose your stopping ability.

New Dub Cub

I have noticed that the brakes seem to fade.. now i have ridden them pretty hard and do the same thing over and over and over . So technically it is not brake fade. I have to continue to apply more pressure to the pedal to keep the car stopping vs. x amount of pressure and it stop.. kinda like the car is attempting to create a smooth stop..

Here is another note.. Is the E brake hydraulic? ever park apply the E brake and feel the foot pedal change?

the ebrake is mechanical (not hydraulic). it attaches to the rear calipers by a cable.

Jedi Dubber

I think it's pretty normal to pull the parking brake and feel the pedal give. The mechanical pull of the rear brakes set full on will lessen the push needed on the hydraulics. That's happened on many of my cars.

But I've also noticed that the ABS kicks in on the hills around my house while breaking, when I didn't think it was needed. There is definately a disconnect between the driver and the system on what's really happening in this car. It's so great otherwise, I'm trying to learn it, but it's been difficult...
    Do purists still eat raw meat because that's what man did before fire? By all means, then, be a purist, but I'll take progress. I love my DSG!

I'll look into wether or not there's a way to adjust that. There may be a way to get the booster to pull more vacuum. But yeah, I've noticed that too, though I am getting used to it at this point. Plus I don't have the autobahn to worry about. Top speed here's about 70mph (113 kph or so).
    has that really ever stopped you form flooring it got my 2007 mkv to 130 mph on a nice straightaway quite comfortably to maybe i am just overexcited cause its new
    This is my fast.<br />There are many like it, this one is MINE.<br />My fast is my best friend,my life.<br />I must master it as I must master my life.<br />My fast w/out me is useless, w/out my fast,<br />I am useless.<br />I keep my fast clean and ready, as I am clean and ready.<br />So be it, until there is no enemy, PEACE

DubMeister

My last car was a '93 Suburban with the ****tiest set of brakes I have ever used.

The GTI's brakes feel super-touchy to me, and awesome for that matter.
    Race with the best, die like the rest! Or you could just lose, that works too.<br /><br />

VDubber

I have to agree with you on that one. The brakes seem weak, almost mushy.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgti06
    The Gti break is great but it does feel a little weat. Maybe if the brake system was larger it would be better. Bigger brake pads. roders, calipars and etc.
    The brakeing system is enginered to feel soft unless you depress the pedal really fast i.e. PANIC STOP. Tapping the brakes at 120mph can get ugly if the brakes are to touchy.
    And second the rotors and calipers are quite possibly the largest in it's class for a stock setup
    75 16V GTi ST<br />83&#039; GTi (RIP)<br />84 16V JETTA<br />06 GTI (lemon)<br />07 GTI Koni coilovers, APR ECU

My brakes feel... crunchy. I'm sure that's just the ABS on snow and ice though.

(on the left)

Spaminator numero uno 07GTIMYFAST's Avatar

I don't really like the electric motor pushing back on the pedal during hard braking. but then again i'm used to my 1973 bmw 2002, love that pedal response, this is good for everyday driving though

Closed Thread