18x9.5 +35..Will It Fit MKV?
MyFastGTI.com is the premier Volkswagen GTI Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18x9.5 +35..Will It Fit MKV?

Default 18x9.5 +35..Will It Fit MKV?

I was looking at getting the Drifz Jade R wheels that are 18x9.5 with an offset of +35. Would they fit my stock ride height 5dr MKV GTI? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyFastGTI.com
    Advertisements

Spaminator numero uno 07GTIMYFAST's Avatar

Default Re: 18x9.5 +35..Will It Fit MKV?

stock ride height? sure why not, calculating... beep beep beep beep

stock et 51.. beep beeep beep, stock width 8" beep beep, 51-35 beep= 16 mm

+ .75 inside and out, outside + 16mm --> inches= .63"

poke= .75+.63= 1.38" from stock

backspacing= .75-.63= stock + .12"

Fronts could be tricky tho. expect to be poking Alot, and probably need some tire stretch

Wow! That's a pretty awesome talking calculator you got there! So say i go this route, what would be a good tire size to stretch to it without being ridonkeydiculous? 255/35?

Also, would i just lose my TPMS with aftermarket wheels? If i do, is there a way to make the error light on the dash go away or would it even show without them? Thanks again! This place has already been worth signing up for!

Spaminator numero uno 07GTIMYFAST's Avatar

TPMS will show up without the sensors, you have to get it shut off thru VAG-COM, some aftermarket wheels work with tpms but you should ask the manufacturer before your purchase.

I'm not a stretch expert but I don't think 255 will stretch much.

I'm gonna go with 225/45/18 but maybe someone else can chime in. realistically IMO the tire os only stretching .75 inches on each side with a 225 so going up to a 225/45 from 225/40 will give you aprox. the same overall tire height as stock and alittle mo betta ride quality. If you stretch 35 series tires you won't have hardly any rubber between your $$$$ wheels and the ground

well in terms of stretch 255 on a 9.5 is no stretch.
    im running a 215/40 on a 9.5 in the rear.

Why Driftz wheels? just curious.... I did a google search b/c I had never heard of them and they are only on Japanese cars. Why not buy a set of wheels with the correct offset and not worry about fitment or stretch? Again, just asking, not flaming here...

Are you the guy who had his stock wheels damaged at the tire shop and was offered Driftz as a replacement?
    Last edited by knoXville; 04-30-2010 at 08:21 AM.
    2014 EVO GSR
    2013 CSG GTI - Sold
    2010 CW GTI - Sold
    '84 GTI - AutoX FSP
    http://cincyscca.com/autocross/

215 on 9.5= no good hoopy. How many times have your works bit the concrete because of it? 225 is more reasonable, but a lot depends on your choice of tire and how you drive. If you choose to go with this super setup, you wont be able to go low. Yeah, you'll have super poke, but when it's as bad as it's going to be up front, you'll regret DD'ing your car.

-FF
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniCoopKiller View Post
    FF is our resident wheel whore so he knows what he is talking about.

(knock on wood) but ive have yet to bend lip or barrel. seen many people run more aggressive stretch that what i am.
    you will poke. my 9.5 et42 with 15mm roughly comes out to a final offset of 27 and i cambered it as much as i could. note the bottom of the wheel and see how much it pokes out. you cant camber the front so you will poke out. also im air'd out in that picture so it helps camber a lil more.

Quote Originally Posted by knoXville View Post
    Why Driftz wheels? just curious.... I did a google search b/c I had never heard of them and they are only on Japanese cars. Why not buy a set of wheels with the correct offset and not worry about fitment or stretch? Again, just asking, not flaming here...

Are you the guy who had his stock wheels damaged at the tire shop and was offered Driftz as a replacement?
    Well, it's time for some new tires and where i get them from my buddy, he can get a select few wheels for a REALLY good deal, and that wheel model was the only one that i liked, but that's the only size he can get it in for some reason, even though they make it different widths/sizes. If it is going to be super goofy or real impractical i will just chill out on em. I don't really want to spend over $500 for wheels because they are not that big of a deal to me, but if i could get some i liked new or used for that i would.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Great help!

need to double check on my tire size check out my sig

Ko4 nough said

i wana see pics of said 10" wheel. should look good.

Not to poop on a thread with some great wheel/tire information, but simply based on the name/price of the wheels in question, I'm going to have to say skip them.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun07 View Post
    i just take it off, and ****ing drink it like a ****ing man. see these ****ing balls? see these pecs? see this dixck? i piss 103 octane 6 days a week, and pure awesomeness on sundays

Quote Originally Posted by cbursten View Post
    Not to poop on a thread with some great wheel/tire information, but simply based on the name/price of the wheels in question, I'm going to have to say skip them.
    Unless the car is a '93 Prelude....
    2014 EVO GSR
    2013 CSG GTI - Sold
    2010 CW GTI - Sold
    '84 GTI - AutoX FSP
    http://cincyscca.com/autocross/

+ Reply to Thread